LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Laminated glass swapped out for tempered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 03:20 PM
hoisted
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS430 Laminated glass swapped out for tempered?

Needing some advice and hope someone has the answer. My right rear window on my 03 LS430 UL is cracked and needs to be replaced (not an insurance claim). What I'm wondering is if I can swap out the laminated window for the tempered version (i.e. will it fit and does the tint look similar). Has anyone tried this? I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

And if laminated is the only way to go, does anyone know how hard it is to change out the window?
Old 08-31-13, 05:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would imagine with the ul rear door sunshade, getting the thinner tempered might have fitment gap issues. The laminated i believe is double the thickness, or atleast 50% thicker.
Old 08-31-13, 09:19 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Laminated side glass in the LS is much thicker than the tempered glass. Consequently, I can't imagine how they would be interchangeable.
Old 09-01-13, 07:45 AM
hoisted
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. That's what I figured, but I found one guy insisting that they could be changed out (and that he changed all four of them). Just trying to save some $$$. I can find the tempered ones at salvage yards, but no laminated so far. Bummer.
Old 09-01-13, 10:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Have you checked aftermarket? I replaced my windshield with laminated Pilkington, who supplies glass for Mercedes, for less then $200 vs $1200 OEM and the glass was exactly the same minus a Lexus logo. I used Yelp to find a shop with good reviews.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-01-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 12:14 PM
hoisted
Rookie

Don't seem to be able to a search for aftermarket laminated (unless I'm just missing something). Was the shop you used a chain or just local?
Old 09-01-13, 03:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hoisted
Don't seem to be able to a search for aftermarket laminated (unless I'm just missing something). Was the shop you used a chain or just local?
I used a local shop. I would start calling around to get quotes.
Old 09-01-13, 08:07 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Most of the glass shops have been forced into low quality Chinese glass, because the insurance companies refuse to approve OEM glass. Consequently most of the glass manufacturers have had to close US manufacturing and set up shop in China. It is not safe to just think that Pilkington glass in not necessarily made in China.

The secret to knowing where the glass is manufactured in found in the DOT glass table. All manufactures of auto glass is required to obtain a DOT number which must be put on the windshield. There is a DOT Table which lists the assigned DOT number, the manufacturer, and the place where manufacturered. Lexus OEM glass is DOT 20 for the LS430. The new LS460s still have DOT 20 glass as OEM.

Pilkington glass for the LS430, which is not manufactured in China, is DOT 177. I just had my windshield replaced and went to a great deal of research to make sure that the replacement glass (which generally costs around $90-$100 and the insurance companies will then pay an installer a total of approximately $300 for the total installation) was not Chinese. The first place I went to wanted to install a glass sold as AP Tech, DOT 563, which was manufactured by Shenzhen Automotive Glass, P.R.O., China. I wanted no part of that.

Eventually I settled for the Pilkington DOT 177 glass, but had to work with an installer who was willing to check with different glass distributors to find the glass. While it seems to be distortion free, the top tint is a green and not a blue as is the OEM, and the rest of the tint is lighter than the side window. The installation was fine, as I insisted in the top chrome piece be replaced with OEM, as suggested to me by Sewell Lexus.

All in all, I came to the conclusion that the insurance companies appear to be in collusion, by forcing manufacturers to purchase or manufacture in China. Glass distributors then only stock the cheap Chinese glass because the insurance companies refuse to approve anything over $300 for total replacement. The poor guys doing glass replacement are squeezed to comply and are hard pressed to make a decent profit. They then have to increase the number of jobs and do less than a quality job in less time.

By the way, auto manufacturers will not purchase cheap replacement glass to install in their new cars. Lexus will not CPO a car if is it has replacement glass in it. Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
ubuynow (06-07-23)
Old 09-02-13, 07:09 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Jayclapp, so you went with the Pilkington after flaming me in my windshield thread... lol. Anyway, I don't agree that just because something is made in China it is inherently inferior. It depends on the manufacturer. Apple products are a perfect example. Even Michelin, who is renowned for tire quality, makes some of their tires in China.

http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

I wonder if our glass is actually made in Toledo?

DOT177 L-N SAFETY GLASS S.A.DE C.V. OF MEXACALI - TOLEDO, OH, USA

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-02-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-02-13, 08:29 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't blame China or presume that Made in China is instantly inferior. It wasn't too long ago when made in Japan or Taiwan was considered inferior. Insurance companies are in business to make money, not help us in trouble. Blame the cost of our labor, not where it's made. With this said, I do steer away from China products if there is a decent and close price alternative.
Old 09-02-13, 07:07 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Jayclapp, so you went with the Pilkington after flaming me in my windshield thread... lol. Anyway, I don't agree that just because something is made in China it is inherently inferior. It depends on the manufacturer. Apple products are a perfect example. Even Michelin, who is renowned for tire quality, makes some of their tires in China.

http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

I wonder if our glass is actually made in Toledo?

DOT177 L-N SAFETY GLASS S.A.DE C.V. OF MEXACALI - TOLEDO, OH, USA
I give you full credit for finding a replacement glass that is not manufactured in China. You were kind enough to post a photo which showed the DOT number. That allowed me to find where it was manufactured. My "flaming" you was for the top rubber seal. When I checked with Sewell Lexus on the OEM glass P/N they informed me that I should also replace the top chrome piece. I specifically made sure that my installer use that OEM part. I still think that wide overlapping seal at the top looks horrible. I personally would have made the installer remove it and install the OEM seal. I assumed that when you made your post you were asking for comments and opinions. Just my opinion, don't get upset about it.

And again, thanks for finding an alternate windshield for the LS430 that I couldn't get any local dealers to find.
Old 06-07-23, 03:54 PM
dmarkmd5
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for bumping an old thread but if anyone's struggling to find the source of their creaks its the upper seals, not just the door seal. There's a seal above the main seal that i kept overlooking but it was the source of almost all the creaking..