LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to go lower in the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 06:12 AM
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to go lower in the LS430

Im trying to figure out how much and what kind of work is involved in actually getting the LS430 to sit on the ground. Im not talking about undersized wheels or aftermarket side skirts. Does anyone know where i could find info on mini tubbing front/rear, or whatever it takes to do this. I have Air Lift Performance suspension, so the knuckle in the front is first to be raised. Any other links or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 09-16-13, 08:52 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ONMYLVL
Im trying to figure out how much and what kind of work is involved in actually getting the LS430 to sit on the ground. Im not talking about undersized wheels or aftermarket side skirts. Does anyone know where i could find info on mini tubbing front/rear, or whatever it takes to do this. I have Air Lift Performance suspension, so the knuckle in the front is first to be raised. Any other links or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
So your on airbags and cann't touch the floor when air'd out?? you might need to a set of RCA's front and rear or the SS pro kits. they will allow you to lower the car about 38mm or so.

another route get the ON THE GROUND KIT from air runner you'll touch the floor with that suspension. GL hope i helped a bit.
Old 09-16-13, 09:15 AM
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate

my issue is that i am touching the upper control arm ball joint to the towers in the front right now. a different air suspension kit wont do me any good since the Air Lift kit will put it on the ground with the right body mods. I will have to check out the RCA's, but i thik its going to be a good bit more work than what bolt ons will provide me with.
Old 09-16-13, 10:09 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

my issue is that i am touching the upper control arm ball joint to the towers in the front right now. a different air suspension kit wont do me any good since the Air Lift kit will put it on the ground with the right body mods. I will have to check out the RCA's, but i thik its going to be a good bit more work than what bolt ons will provide me with.
OK OK I get what your saying now. check out Chrispy's build post he got your answer there. Your going to have to cut a hole for the upper ball joints to clear when you air out. It's common and the safe way to go cause when you air out you have a risk of deploying your airbags in your car from hitting the body to hard.
Old 09-16-13, 01:04 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

Having the air bags blow unintentionally would ruin anyone's day.
Old 09-16-13, 10:44 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I cut a hole for my upper ball joints to poke through in the engine bay. Another alternative is to get your spindle cut and welded shorter.
Old 09-16-13, 10:59 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey man so you deciding to keep it?
Old 09-16-13, 11:06 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a few ways to get the car to sit that low. You dont necessarily need to cut up your car to do it either. Although if you dont want to spend the money on the right parts you can cut. I wouldnt suggest some of it because it involves cutting structural components.
Old 09-19-13, 08:03 AM
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
Hey man so you deciding to keep it?
Its less that I decided to keep it, and more that I no longer HAVE to sell it.
Originally Posted by HiloDB1
There are a few ways to get the car to sit that low. You dont necessarily need to cut up your car to do it either. Although if you dont want to spend the money on the right parts you can cut. I wouldnt suggest some of it because it involves cutting structural components.
Being a fabricator, I have interest in going this route. What are my options?

Originally Posted by LsBanGer43
OK OK I get what your saying now. check out Chrispy's build post he got your answer there. Your going to have to cut a hole for the upper ball joints to clear when you air out. It's common and the safe way to go cause when you air out you have a risk of deploying your airbags in your car from hitting the body to hard.
Are there airbag sensors that near to the ground? What sensor would be the one to deploy the airbags?

Originally Posted by walleyeman
Having the air bags blow unintentionally would ruin anyone's day.
WORD!
Originally Posted by chrispy
I cut a hole for my upper ball joints to poke through in the engine bay. Another alternative is to get your spindle cut and welded shorter.
I initially planned on cutting a hole for the upper balljoint, but since have decided I should see if there is a better route I could take. What is involed with cutting the spindle? Are there any write ups for this? I have done plenty of searching, but have not been able to come up with even a picture of this.

Thanks for all the help guys, couldnt do it without ya!
Old 09-19-13, 10:30 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

The airbag sensor are not close to the ground. But just saying that when you air out your upper ball joint will hit the top of the fender well which if hit hard enough the sensor could trigger and you won't be happy. but hilo and crispy got the blue print you need to get it done or at least options.

FYI i spoke with SAGE trying to have them make a rca kits for us but he's asking for a someone to borrow there kit for a few weeks to duplicate.
Old 09-19-13, 11:24 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Being a fabricator, I have interest in going this route. What are my options?
Fabricator or not there are serious consequences if you start cutting/modding the structure of the unibody on a car. But if you must just cutting a hole for the front upper ball joint will only gain you so much. Unless you do shorter spindles your front upper control arm will hit a structural seam in the fender that wont allow any more movement. Now if you remove or change that then youll have more travel. Until your tire hits the unibody frame in the fenderwell. Again you can modify this if you need the front to go lower.
For the rear the only things really holding you back are a structural seam that the upper arm hits and the clearance for tire. If you tub the back and cut out the seam you could suck the tire up off the ground.
Old 09-24-13, 05:56 AM
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Fabricator or not there are serious consequences if you start cutting/modding the structure of the unibody on a car. But if you must just cutting a hole for the front upper ball joint will only gain you so much. Unless you do shorter spindles your front upper control arm will hit a structural seam in the fender that wont allow any more movement. Now if you remove or change that then youll have more travel. Until your tire hits the unibody frame in the fenderwell. Again you can modify this if you need the front to go lower.
For the rear the only things really holding you back are a structural seam that the upper arm hits and the clearance for tire. If you tub the back and cut out the seam you could suck the tire up off the ground.
Perfect! thanks for the advice. I will do some research on spindles, and see what the better option would be. If I can keep from cutting the body up, Im all for it.