LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Out of Gas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 05:04 PM
Wiley9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Gas!

This is not good. I'm sitting on a highway exit ramp waiting for a tow truck to show up with some gas. My gas light just came on about 2 miles back and my dash still shows "Range Approx 51mi". Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Old 10-10-13, 05:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I would reset the computer by disconnecting the negative for about a min. Let her start fresh. Calculations were off by a few gallons. Does not have to be now but when you go home or to the station.
Old 10-10-13, 05:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

And get gas sooner next time. Not good to suck in the junk that settles to the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-10-13, 06:26 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

It's best to learn to reset trip B every time you fill up. You can quickly see how many mile it is safe to drive before fill up. Also, best to always gas up when the gage shows you have dipped to 1/4 tank. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-10-13, 07:34 PM
Wiley9
Driver School Candidate

Got 2 gallons from a gas can...more than enough to get me 1 mile to the gas station. Filled up there, but only 17.7 gallons would fit. Hmm. Something isn't right. 17.7 + 2 = 19.7 and the gas tank is 22.2...what's the deal with the other 2.5 gallons?
Old 10-10-13, 07:37 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiley9
This is not good. I'm sitting on a highway exit ramp waiting for a tow truck to show up with some gas. My gas light just came on about 2 miles back and my dash still shows "Range Approx 51mi". Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Over the past 12 years I've been down to "zero" miles remaining on the computer and never run out of gas. The "miles remaining" can drop fast when the tank is near empty but I've never had an actual range of only two miles after it reads zero.
Old 10-11-13, 01:47 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my car, I never see zero. Sometime before it shows 50Km is just says low fuel, and I have to see the odometer to know how close I'm cutting it.

The 7series I had, had a ridiculously accurate Range indication on the OBC, I kinda miss it...
Old 10-11-13, 03:14 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiley9
Got 2 gallons from a gas can...more than enough to get me 1 mile to the gas station. Filled up there, but only 17.7 gallons would fit. Hmm. Something isn't right. 17.7 + 2 = 19.7 and the gas tank is 22.2...what's the deal with the other 2.5 gallons?
Has this ever occured before? If something new, then did you recently impact your gas tank where it might have been dented and you're not getting the full 22 gal? Even with a stuck feed not floating properly, it would not affect your fill. Get the tank checked.
Old 10-11-13, 04:48 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel for ya, what a PITA. Mine has been a great indicator and I have never been stranded running this bad boy to 1/8th below the lowest mark and never having an issue. There is an issue.
Old 10-11-13, 08:20 AM
Wiley9
Driver School Candidate

I think I'm going to need to check the tank. There's no way I'm getting the full 22.2 gallons in there. But for it to be missing 2.5 gallons, that's a mighty big debt in there!
Old 10-11-13, 08:37 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I tank up when the gage gets down to 1/4. It takes about 16 gallons to tank up on a regular basis. Have you ever put more than 16-17 gallons in on a regular basis? Has there been a sudden change in how much gas you put in when you tank up?
Old 10-11-13, 10:13 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I would reset the computer by disconnecting the negative for about a min. Let her start fresh. Calculations were off by a few gallons. Does not have to be now but when you go home or to the station.
stop advising this to everyone please. if you like doing this - please practice on your own vehicle.
each time you disconnect battery you reset a lot of accumulated adapt values.
mainly you shouldn't do that cos all transmission calibrated adapt values will reset, forcing your transmission to perform adapts again, and it's kind of harmful (parts getting worn more than normal).
Old 10-11-13, 10:51 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
stop advising this to everyone please. if you like doing this - please practice on your own vehicle.
mainly you shouldn't do that cos all transmission calibrated adapt values will reset, forcing your transmission to perform adapts again, and it's kind of harmful (parts getting worn more than normal).
I never knew that. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 10-11-13, 11:10 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

hi..can somebody explain how the reset causes extra wear on the tranny? call me skeptical on that aspect of it.
I can see not doing the reset because of the hassle with all the other things you have to reprogram but tranny wear??
Old 10-11-13, 12:34 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
It's not harmful. At no point during NORMAL learning cures is there any transmission or in throttle damage being done. It may drive slightly different at first but it does not damage or cause wear to reset the computer. The computer learns very fast. It's days not weeks and years. You are incorrect.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-11-13 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Out of Gas!