LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Do you drive your LS in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 05:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Do you drive your LS in the winter?

Hey guys,

im very unhappy about it, but it looks like I will be using my LS430 for the winter time, the problem is simple, I cant afford to insure two cars.

How many of you guys do the same?

How do you protect your car from the salt and harsh conditions?

Im wondering if keeping the car freshly waxed throughoiut the winter months will add some good protection from the salt and moisture?

Do you guys rubber coat the underside of your car?

Any advice on how to minimize the affects of winter on our cars?

How well does the LS do in snow and ice?

Thanks
Old 11-15-13, 09:07 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Er on the side of care with good all season's or get snows. Hills from dead stop will kill ya, 5-6 inch of snow unplowed is a problem. I drove 150k often in snowbelt of the UP in winters and just was careful on 225/55/17's. Now I have 18's and will do more than above and I got snows.

Kitty litter for e-kit. Less than 6/32 is troublesome but be careful. All else the stab trac makes er real fun, traccont is nice.
Old 11-16-13, 02:51 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I drive both my LS and SC all year around since we only get a few big snow storms each year. Typically I would drive my Saturn but I sold it recently so I'm stuck with the LS and SC which both have summer tires.

A good wax or sealant will be a great idea. You could try rubber undercoating as well since that might help with rust. Whenever it snowed a lot here I tried to wash the car off as soon as I got a chance. I drove my Saturn through a lot through a lot of the big snow storms over the years without any rust issues. Hopefully my LS won't have any issues in the snow if I get stuck driving it.
Old 11-16-13, 04:34 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing u could do is park and suspend coverage on the LS for the winter....and buy a beater to insure for the winter months.
Old 11-16-13, 05:34 AM
cdnguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get snow tires. In Toronto, you'll need them at least 6-7 times over the winter, because it's a powerful rear-wheel drive car. All seasons (otherwise known as no seasons) won't cut it - especially at temps less than 7 degrees C. - which it is most of the winter. If you can afford it - get new rims that are 1 inch less than your normal summer rims, and the tires are larger than your summer tires. ie if you normally run 225/55/17, get 215/65/16 winter tires and matching rims. (the narrower/higher tire cuts into the snow better than the wider/lower tire - which will tend to float more) The LS needs special rims because of the size of brakes though.

I have 2002, have driven it every winter, and you'd never know. It still looks perfect. The LS is a great car - and well protected, so I wouldn't be concerned about rust - it's well undercoated.

So from my perspective - you won't have an issue with driving it in the winter.
Old 11-16-13, 06:03 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get snow tires for better grip. Try to wash undercarriage as much as possible during the snow season.
Old 11-16-13, 06:03 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS is full of plastic undercovers and the exposed parts are mostly aluminum, so rust won't be an issue. I intend to use mine here in Switzerland and I'll just do what I did last year with the 7series. Once every 2 weeks or so full body wash with unter-body spraying (all auto-washers here offer it) and be done with it.
Old 11-16-13, 07:34 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I live in Toronto and have driven my LS during the last 3 winters. I considered buying another car for winter but didnt want to bother so I just put 4 snow tires mounted on 17 inch wheels, and the car is absolutely no problem - except in very deep snow.

You can try it with all seasons, and you'll be fine MOST of the time. With 4 snow you'll be fine ( almost ) ALL the time.

Anytime it snow and they salt the roads, and you notice a day later you'll have white salt stains on the the car, just drive to a coin spray wash and for $ 2, spray the lower part of the car with lots of water .... and your not going to have rust issue for a long time.
Old 11-16-13, 08:05 AM
klum00
Driver School Candidate

I've only had mine for one winter season in the DC area, but no issues what-so-ever. Just go through the touch less wash after it snows just like others have said...
Old 11-16-13, 09:17 AM
molecule
Driver School Candidate

Move to Arizona
Old 11-16-13, 03:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by molecule
Move to Arizona
Or, live in Arizona as I do!
Old 11-16-13, 03:33 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just take the insurance off the LS and park it.
Old 11-17-13, 10:53 AM
boilerroom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by klum00
I've only had mine for one winter season in the DC area, but no issues what-so-ever. Just go through the touch less wash after it snows just like others have said...
i have to agree on this touch-less is worth the money, i wash mine a minimum of once a week in the winter, every couple of weeks when i get home from the wash i will heavily spray down any chrome trim and wheels, and wheel well areas with warm water in the garage, rinse with clean warm water, towel dry, and then spray on some top quality detailer mist & paint sealant. yes its over kill but Michigan winters are brutal and so is the brine and salt. I don't expect all this work to guarantee beating corrosion, but at least i gave it a decent shot.

HTH
Old 11-17-13, 11:46 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I try not to as I have two awd vehicles, but I drove for 2 winters with blizzaks and they did well with the car. Only scary thing is when vsc on and slip detected, you can jam on gas but nothing happens. Feels like engine is off.
Old 11-17-13, 01:08 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to see an undercoating place. There's always 'deals' going on for that. Refer to www.redflagdeals.com for a decent price.

If you go to Krown, tell them not to drill the doors - unless you don't object. Otherwise it's half the price since they spray the underbody and hinges/etc. and NOT inside the doors.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your LS in the winter?