LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cleaned console and shifter, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 04:08 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cleaned console and shifter, now car won't start

I took apart and cleaned the console area on my 2001 LS430 and now it won't start. Specifically, I removed the wood veneer console with ashtray compartment, chrome shifter molding, shift ****, seat heater panel, PRNDL plastic molding around the shift lever, the rubber sliding boot that surrounds the shifter lever. I did not spray any cleaners or water into the area, just wiped each piece clean before reassembly. The only electrical plugs I disconnected are the ashtray plug and the seat heater panel, which I reconnected.

During the process, I had the car in Neutral with the parking brake on. Car started normally at the beginning and I backed it out of the garage to work on it. I started the car once while in disassembly with the shifter in Neutral and it started fine.

The battery is a Lexus battery, probably 6 months old. Turning the key to START won't even get the starter motor turning (no clicking sound). On ACC, the window motors struggle. Radio wont turn on either. I checked various fuses and nothing is blown. Car doors were closed for most of the time and the dome light was not on. I don't see how the battery would have drained to the point of not even being able to hard start the car in that short amount of time.

Could it be something with the shift lever?

Any ideas?
Old 11-17-13, 04:54 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

IT STARTED. No idea why, but here's what I did:
-turned the key to ACC, radio wouldn't work.
-removed the 7.5A fuse in the drivers footwell marked "Panel", it was OK. Reinstalled it.
-noticed the climate control fan was on low. Radio started.
-tried starting car and it started but it seemed like it was a little hard to start. Thought all was well.

Backed out of driveway, put shifter in D and car would not move forward. Pressing the gas just revved the engine but car would not go forward. Reverse and Neutral worked fine. D, 4, 3, 2 and L did not engage the transmission. With the shifter in D, the car only INCHED ALONG very slowly. I shut it off on the side of the street for a minute.

I started it back up and everything functioned as normal. I was able to drive the car and the transmission seemed fine. Obviously there was an issue with the shifter and the transmission but I don't know what.

WHAT THE HECK?????
Old 11-17-13, 07:04 PM
ATLANTA2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No good bad issues
Old 11-17-13, 07:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

wow, VERY scary

if I was a betting man, (which im not) , I would put my money on the cause on the shifter, somehow being out of place, or moved when it wasn't supposed to, and confusing the computer, or causing some sort of temporary issue.

Like if you try to start the car while its in drive, it wont even crank, the fact that u had the car started and put it in drive, but it wouldn't move sounds just like that.

Hopefully its back where it should be now, and that never happens again

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 11-17-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 04:43 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

that is very weird - doing various mods on the car over last couple of years I have had it dissembled in same manner as you described with no problems. Wild guess is that shifter was somehow out of alignment with a sensor or cable and moving it around "corrected" it but actually have no idea for sure what happened to your car. Glad it appears to have corrected itself.
Old 11-19-13, 03:33 PM
gemineye
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 - definitely related to the gear select (i.e., PRNDL) sensor/switch.

I would disassemble the center console and inspect all the electrical connections related to the shifter. It sounds like it was unplugged or the connection isn't fully secure during your cleaning process. Once everything is disassembled, it may be good to apply the brake, and toggle the shifter through the various gears and look for something that isn't right.

When disassembling the console, I would do this with the car in PARK, and reassemble in Park as well.

Hope this helps,
Randy G.
Old 11-19-13, 06:26 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

neutral safety switch