Lag in driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 10:42 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lag in driving

Hey y'all,
Today I think I might have a mechanical problem, or it might just be me over hearing and over feeling some noises.

I just want to know if some one has experienced this before just to be able to know if it is serious and it is really something I should look after, or know that it's my super hearing powers are just overreacting.

So, the problem is, the car drives perfect. with 125,xxx miles. Everything is very smooth. Except that I feel that the car is kind of lagging or cutting off a little bit when I apply 1/4 throttle power. It's alright if I give full throttle or middle throttle. But I'm feeling this weird lag at about 1/4 power.

It might be some gas filter or something. Have no idea. I appreciate your help guys. Let this awesome forum forever live!
Old 11-18-13, 01:24 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

tough to say, however i've noticed something similar in mine. I believe its working as designed, at least in my case...think its just part of the Lexus LS design to have a slight lag in throttle response at less pressure. This isn't a sports car after all. You might also have a dirty throttle body....ever been cleaned??
the other thing you might experiment with is RPM...in other words, manually place the car in a lower gear, get the speed and RPMs up, then apply the 1/4 throttle to check responsiveness then. If it responds fine at higher RPM with same 1/4 throttle then the "lag" might have something to do with where you're at on the power curve/torque curve. 1500rpm lugging around town is just not going to feel as snappy as say 2500rpm...
Old 11-18-13, 07:57 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

A couple of suggestions to try. First make sure you are running clean air filter and also go in and clean the MAF and throttle body every 6 months or so. When these are clean the engine in the LS should idle and run smooth as silk and pull like a GE jet turbine. Disconnect the battery before you clean MAF and TB and reconnect after, it is about a 30 minute job and it is better for ECM to be off when you manipulate the TB plate open to clean it. Once you reconnect battery after diconnect of approx 30 min the ECM will relearn your driving style and set engine and trans characteristics to accommodate.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-18-13 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 08:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
A couple of suggestions to try. First make sure you are running clean air filter and also go in and clean the MAF and throttle body every 6 months or so. When these are clean the engine in the LS should idle and run smooth as silk and pull like a GE jet turbine. Disconnect the battery before you clean MAF and TB and reconnect after, it is about a 30 minute job and it is better for ECM to be off when you manipulate the TB plate open to clean it. Once you reconnect battery after diconnect of approx 30 min the ECM will relearn your driving style and set engine and trans characteristics to accommodate.
lol I have to admit im very impressed with the power of these things, I haven't even opened it up yet, I have far too much respect for the car, but sometimes ill get a little excited and see what it has, yea,,,its not lacking at all.

to the OP, its probably in your head , sometimes when your Pu$$y footing the throttle, like I do a lot of times, the car feels like its lagging, sometimes its in the process of gearing down, or up, and its taking a second to kick in.

Don't worry about it , but yea make sure your air filter is clean and the other things they mentioned, that wont hurt at all.
Old 11-19-13, 03:20 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go ahead and do that.
Is there a DIY?

Because I honestly don't know the locations of the MAF nor the throttle body.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-13, 06:15 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A few links for you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...and-gs430.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-cleaning.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ttle-body.html
Old 12-01-13, 06:43 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the links, and all the help.

I took out the MAF and placed it in a ziploc bag full of Acetone, or nail polish. Just full enough to cover the whole sensor.
Gave it a good shake, then I took it out and just touched it up with some Q-tips. Then let it dry for 10 minutes and installed it back.

To be honest I didn't expect this much or big of a difference. The car feels new. It responds very differently. In a good way. The MAF was ridiculously dirty.

I advice anyone who just got a used car to do a MAF cleaning session. The car will definitely feel different.
Old 12-01-13, 07:06 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

good to know man

I have this lagging thing too , it happens on the very low end when im trying to baby the car, it seems to get cought up between gears or something, ive heard others complain aboiut this too, I think its just how the tranny is designed.

when I drive the car properly and give it a healthy amount of gas , I don't notice it at all