LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Well lets see how this quick exhaust fix holds up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 03:49 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Well lets see how this quick exhaust fix holds up.

Been having to deal with a crack in my exhaust pipe for some time now. It was at the infamous heat shield area. So instead of having to buy that whole section, which runs from +300 to god knows how much, i took it to a buddies shop and had him cut out the bad section of pipe and weld in a new section for $100. Afterwards he reset the codes so now i will be off to run the car thru emissions in the morn. Praying that all goes well and the fix is permanent or at least good for a year.
Attached Thumbnails Well lets see how this quick exhaust fix holds up.-img_20131211_133047_717-1-.jpg   Well lets see how this quick exhaust fix holds up.-img_20131211_133040_633-2-.jpg   Well lets see how this quick exhaust fix holds up.-img_20131211_170859_923-1-.jpg  
Old 12-16-13, 05:05 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Well seems like this quick fix didn't work for the most part. Also while under there i found another leak on the pass. side heat shield area. I ended up taking off all of the heat shielding. Seems like the combination of the insulation, water, and clamps used cause some type of cancer in that area. I may have to end up replacing the whole y-pipe. This situation is causing me to fail emissions. Anyone know if the pipes sold on eBay are cool to buy? If not, where other than the dealer can i get one from at a reasonable price?
Old 12-16-13, 06:07 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If you just replaced straight pipe with new pipe it should have fixed that specific issue. I know in Texas the emissions test system will fail the car if it sees recent codes that have been reset just before the test. This is to circumvent people who reset the error codes 5 minutes before taking it to the testing station. Maybe wait a week or so and then take it back to get a re-check.
Old 12-16-13, 07:31 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

A competent exhaust shop should be able to easily fix those issues, a few minor leaks are no big deal. I wouldn't go the dealership for a repair or parts, you're talking big bucks.

Magnaflow makes a Y pipe assembly that's supposed to be a direct fit for the LS430:

Part # 24169
Old 12-17-13, 11:56 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no offense but that looks like a crappy job ur buddy did. no wonder it didnt fix the issue, it probably caused more problems by the look of the welding job he did. (leaks)

take it to a muffler shop and get it done right, all muffler shops should have the necessary tools and machine to fabricate pipes accordingly no matter what car u drive.
Old 12-17-13, 12:16 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
no offense but that looks like a crappy job ur buddy did. no wonder it didnt fix the issue, it probably caused more problems by the look of the welding job he did. (leaks)

take it to a muffler shop and get it done right, all muffler shops should have the necessary tools and machine to fabricate pipes accordingly no matter what car u drive.
Yeah im realizing that. Gonna swing it pass a real muffler shop to get a look over and price. If the repair cost close to the price of a new pipe then might as well buy a whole new one from eBay for $280.
Old 12-17-13, 08:26 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got this one, $269 shipped, I am not sure what the difference is for 01-02 vs 04-06. The gaskets are crap, make sure you get the OEM front gaskets and also TWO of the rear gaskets. Take out the old one from the resonator assembly and use a new one, you may need to use two back-to-back if you still have a leak there.

http://www.exhaustdistribution.net/s...30-4.3L/Detail
Old 12-18-13, 12:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I got this one, $269 shipped, I am not sure what the difference is for 01-02 vs 04-06. The gaskets are crap, make sure you get the OEM front gaskets and also TWO of the rear gaskets. Take out the old one from the resonator assembly and use a new one, you may need to use two back-to-back if you still have a leak there.

http://www.exhaustdistribution.net/s...30-4.3L/Detail
Thanks. But how did it turn out overall? Any issues besides the gaskets? Fitment or sound problem?
Old 12-20-13, 07:37 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I recently had this problem with a crack on the y pipe right before the o2 sensor where the heatshield clamps on. I had a section cut off and welded on. I have no more engine light. Maybe they didnt weld it all correctly and there is still a small crack, Id bring it back to redo their work. Also, the welder just sawed off the section and welded in a new piece. They didnt take apart anything.
Old 12-20-13, 09:47 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had this problem and just like OP had a shop cut and weld new pipes. Codes were reset and everything was back to normal.
Old 12-21-13, 10:30 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Thanks. But how did it turn out overall? Any issues besides the gaskets? Fitment or sound problem?
When I had it installed, the mechanic left me with a loud leak at the back end of the y-pipe. Took it to a second shop with new OEM rear gasket in hand and was left with the same leak after they installed the new gasket. As with everything here in this Third-World country of Miami, if you want it done correctly you have to do it yourself, so I went to a new DIY garage here in Miami and got the car up on a lift and tried to figure out what the problem was. Basically the rear end of the y-pipe slip-fits into the larger end of the resonator assembly, and the donut gasket inside the resonator pipe wasn't being engaged by the rear end of the y-pipe. The y-pipe needed to be inserted farther into the resonator pipe end. So I first installed fresh OEM gaskets at the front end to guarantee no leaks there and secured the front ends of the y-pipe to the cats, then had a buddy grab the exhaust system in the vicintiy of the rear axle and push forward on it. This allowed the y-pipe to be fully inserted into the resonator assembly and engage the gasket so it was sealed, then I tightened the clamp while he held it in place. In hindsight, maybe the y-pipe was a tad short, I'm not sure, but I guess you could also use two gaskets in the resonator pipe end or even wrap the y-pipe end with aluminum foil to help it seal better. Either way I got the job done, but unfortunately couldn't rely on "professionals" to do it.