LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HELP - Switched from air to steel suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 03:16 PM
garcea
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks rkw77080. I’ll wait to see if anybody else comes back with a resistor suggestion.
Old 02-25-18, 04:20 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by garcea
Thanks rkw77080. I’ll wait to see if anybody else comes back with a resistor suggestion.
You're welcome... Please take a look at Post #161 and #165 on the link below. These members seemed to have figured out a way to defeat the "Height Hi" warning light. You may be able to reach them via PM, and if so, please share your findings.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-infos-11.html
Old 02-27-18, 10:36 AM
garcea
Driver School Candidate

Hi rkw77080. I sent a PM to Lavrishevo 2 days ago for an update on his conversion. No reply yet.

Based on on what he’s written, all I need to do is to remove the 40 amp air suspension fuse from the fuse box below the battery under the hood and that’s it - no warnings on the instrument cluster. Leave everything else in place including all the ride height sensors front and back as well as the 20 amp air suspension fuse in the fuse box in the drivers’ foot well and the air suspension relay. Having looked closely at the Lexus diagrams you posted I should be able to then totally remove the air suspension compressor as there appears just to be just one electrical connector to it which presumably provides power to run the compressor motor.

ive been thinking about what you said about the suspension actuators clipped onto the air suspension struts. As far as I can see, all they do is turn a valve inside the air strut to vary the hydraulic damping from normal to ‘sport’. I don’t think that they are ‘active’ components which monitor the condition of the suspension?

I don’t know how selecting the ‘Height hi’ setting works with the air suspension. When the ‘ Height hi’ switch is activated inside the car the suspension is obviously pumped up probably based on the normal ride height sensor signals?
Old 02-27-18, 10:57 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

In the spirit of full disclosure, let me start by saying that I do not have a LS430-UL with air shocks, and did not have any first-hand experience with the details of how it operates.

The "Height Hi" warning light obviously can no longer impact the ride quality with the air shocks removed, and from what I read on the forum, it does not interfere with anything else (headlight leveling, etc.) either. Most of those members with this nuisance warning light are just annoyed by it being there.
Old 02-27-18, 12:03 PM
garcea
Driver School Candidate

Hi rkw77080. No problem. All advice is gratefully received! I just want to be totally satisfied that I can do this job without triggering insurmountable irritating instrument cluster warnings or other problems, as I believe in performing thorough ‘Due-Diligence’ before starting a job I know little about!

I’ve just been spreading my online research further, and have seen the Lexus UK website where apparently only removing the under-hood air suspension fuse is necessary when converting from air to conventional suspension.

i decided to enquire on the US website as I know that there are probably tens of thousands of LS430’s on the roads in your huge country so am much more likely to find out the information I need. Big cars like the LS430 are not very popular on UK roads for several reasons, but mostly related to size in comparison to UK road space, cost of ownership including maintenance and cost of parts, but particularly fuel consumption.

your gasoline costs on average half what it costs here. I couldn’t believe how cheap it was when I was in New Jersey 4 years ago as well as California and Nevada in 2016!

anybody who has anything to c9btribute to this please post or send me a PM. Thank you.
Old 02-27-18, 01:04 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Height Hi issues , in my case, were faulty height sensors due to water intrusion.
This was after removing air suspension years earlier.
Code reader will tell you which sensor is misbehaving.
You can buy OEM quality sensors on eBay for a fraction.
Some ebay listings even claim revised design to prevent water intrusion.
Old 02-27-18, 01:10 PM
garcea
Driver School Candidate

Thanks nc356. That is useful and good to know.
Old 04-27-22, 06:51 AM
garcea
Driver School Candidate

Default A

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Here are some sketches for the US model LS430. I'm not sure how they differ from the UK version...

You will have to remove 2 fuses and a relay as pictured below (see circled in red).

Here's a sketch of the compressor...

Here are sketches of the front and rear control valves...

If you learn to disable the "Height High" warning light, please come back and post the instructions on the forum for others to know. Good luck!
Finally got around to replacing the LS430 (2004 model) air suspension struts with all KYB coil springs, struts etc. Job was done when the car had reached 105,000 miles. Everything bought off RockAuto online except the OE steel coil springs which I sourced from various online suppliers.

This replacement was well worth it as the original air struts were definitely well past their best but with no leaks yet from either the air springs or the struts themselves. So all I have to do is figure out how to sell the air struts via eBay as I haven’t sold anything via them before!

The only fuse I had to remove was fuse No. 11 in the fuse box No 1 in the side of the drivers footwell behind a small black plastic door. It is rated at 20 amp and marked airsus.

I tried removing the 40 amp air suspension fuse in the engine compartment but this resulted in the ‘Christmas tree’ display on the instrument panel.

With the 20 amp fuse removed as described above and the 40 amp fuse replaced there are no warning lights displayed and the switches for high and low ride height and sports and normal suspension are disabled. I presume that removing this fuse disables the air suspension ECU but I’m not certain?

might experiment with disconnecting the rear axle ride height sensors to see if any warning lights appear. If not then I’ll remove the rear ride height sensors and sell them online as they would then be redundant.

If anyone else has problems with warning lights after removing the air suspension there is a YouTube video online which shows how to remove the glovebox and unplug the middle connection on the air suspension ECU.

good Luck

Last edited by garcea; 04-27-22 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-27-22, 11:20 AM
garcea
Driver School Candidate

Just found this online.

https://lexusy.pl/LS430/rm/rm792e/m_di_0308.pdf