LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Used '01 UL - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 11:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ma61
If the body and the interior are clean, I'd pay $5k and put a couple grand into it.
Converting the suspension cost about 2 grand with labor, parts, and alignment. New timing belt is $1200, valve cover, plus everything else... It will need about 4 grand if you get the parts yourself and pay a good mechanic before you are said and done. New airbags are a grand each. Not worth it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-20-13 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 04:41 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bunch of rocket scientists
Old 12-21-13, 01:06 PM
username32
Pole Position

To answer your question it was worth it to me, thanks for not buying it because i did.
If it was the one listed on ocfiat.com in orange county i bought it. $6553.12 is what i paid. It does need some work, but i work at a Toyota dealer and labor and parts are available next to nothing for me. I already had everything needed done today. Timing belt, water pump, all tensioner and idler bearings, seals, brake flush, trans flush, oil change, valve cover gaskets, air filter, spark plugs, all this costs me $975 including labor.

Was it this one?
Old 12-21-13, 01:18 PM
username32
Pole Position

And to add there is nothing wrong with he air suspension, it probably does need recalibration because front sits a little higher, its not a leaking, its has some caked up dirt and some of the amorall or oil based engine cleaner dressing oversprayed from the recon process, although i am planning on putting on Stance coils in the future anyways.
Old 12-22-13, 12:28 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, it was that one. You may want to check the front bushings. The mechanic, Tashmo in Santa Ana, told me the things I mentioned in my post during the pre-inspection. I was really put off by the dealership sales manager and his boss. He seemed pretty dismissive of any concerns I had concerning the vehicle. Also, under the VIN check for lexus owners, the Tustin Lexus techs also recommend the air shocks were leaking and the front lower control arm issue. I was very impressed with the car however the lack of a Toyota dealership connection for maintenance/repairs as well as the unpleasant attitude by the dealership really put me off.
Old 12-22-13, 02:07 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by writes123
Yeah, it was that one. You may want to check the front bushings. The mechanic, Tashmo in Santa Ana, told me the things I mentioned in my post during the pre-inspection. I was really put off by the dealership sales manager and his boss. He seemed pretty dismissive of any concerns I had concerning the vehicle. Also, under the VIN check for lexus owners, the Tustin Lexus techs also recommend the air shocks were leaking and the front lower control arm issue. I was very impressed with the car however the lack of a Toyota dealership connection for maintenance/repairs as well as the unpleasant attitude by the dealership really put me off.
Upon servicing this car, the trans has had to been done at the 90k service at least because the fluid was way too clean to be a 134k worth of driving. My next thing is replace the bushing which aren't too expensive ($90 a pair), they are a little dried out but not terrible. Its good to see no sludge inside the motor it was very clean inside and all motor / drive-train related maintenance has been done. Time to shop for wheels and and tires..... I wasn't too turned off by buying a LS that needs some work, it was part of my plan on a project car. It wouldn't be a project if it didn't need anything. Even if you were to spend the extra beans on a cleaner lower mile LS it doesn't guarantee you from problems or things that will cost you a arm and a leg. I still felt im ahead of the game by buying this car. Yes it does need some work but thats the fun part.