LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06 Mark Levinson mediocre sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 12:30 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Lots of people today think the measurement go how good a system is how much bass it produces. Not true. I personally hate getting into someone's car and having to listen to a system with the bass turned all the way up.
Old 01-26-14, 02:15 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy reading the various posts and opinions, I however have to comment on the last two post. No, I am not a person who is audio deficient. I do not like loud music, and although I wish I was still young, I am on the other side of 50. Being a person who believes in quality, not quantity sound, I stand by my initial post. I love my LS430 with the Ultra Luxury Package. The sound of my system, in my opinion, no way compares to the sound of my wife's Mercedes. Having a Bose system both in the house, and in her car makes me listen to music for quality not quantity. I believe the Lexus sound should equal the quality of the car. I believe the quality sound is substandard, in otherwords, it needs improvement. I realize that I might be bias to the sound quality because I like Bose, but I believe that Lexus could have done a better job in the area of sound quality.
Old 01-26-14, 05:47 PM
chrispy
Forum Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had a bunch of different Lexus' in the past and the ML system in my 05 UL is the worst. My 97 ES base was better, my 95 SC base was better, my 98 GS base was better, and my 01 GS base was better. I've always had the base Pioneer audio in my previous cars and it always sounded great. I was excited to finally get a car with the premium ML system and it was disappointing to find that it sounds very poor. I will probably have to rip everything out and replace it eventually.
Old 01-26-14, 05:59 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Depends on the source.

If you are listening to AM/FM/Tape/or port installed Sirius, it will sound like crap. A commercially produced CD sounds awesome. I also added a direct input for my phone. The digital sound going out through the Analog plugs sounds damn good. Which leads me back to the source of the audio. While it will not handle the bass of say of "Blurred Lines" or "Going back to Cali," it sounds frigg'n amazing to Pocol Harum's Conquistador and most any Justin Timberlake or Pit Bull duet.

Again though, I'm not looking to impress the eight cars in a radius around my LS430 at the Stop Light.

Randy B
Old 01-26-14, 07:29 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The ML system is the exact same system in these cars (though the woofer cone may have detached on some of your cars). The main reason we have differences of opinion on the ML sound quality is our hearing - we don't all hear the same. It's well-known that hearing declines with age, and especially guys. The range of audio frequency that we hear declines over time - especially the upper range of the audio frequency (above 12,000 Hz). Ask a true audiophile (I did) and they will tell you that Bose is a commercialized name and way over-rated > became known for producing low frequency (bass) in patented cabinet speaker enclosure. Bose systems tend to be preferred by folks who hear (and feel) low and mid-range frequencies and that's what they prefer and then compare all other sound to the range of sound that they hear best - which is the lower end of the audio frequency spectrum. It's not that the ML system is "bad" - it's our respective individual hearing which results in personal preferences. Take a free self-administered hearing test online (you'll need headphones) and you'll learn what you can hear, and what you cannot.
Old 01-27-14, 09:00 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

I am not really impressed with the ML system's sound quality in mine also. For a while I thought something was blown or the woofer was damaged since I did not have any other LS to compare to. But turned out, it just a poor quality of the sound, mainly it lacks the power in the lower frequency range.

2005, 37k, Cypress Green.
Old 01-27-14, 10:34 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

When I test drove my "new" LS430 last month, the sub was blown and low end was very weak. Before purchasing it, they installed a new one and the difference was night and day. Turn up the bass, and it shakes the rear view mirror. More bass than I would ever need and want.
Old 01-27-14, 11:08 AM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Tom57: Interesting post. Out of everything you said, I would only agree with "we have differences of opinion on the ML sound." You are right. It is obvious that you are not familiar with the Bose sound. I have excellent hearing, and enjoy quality sound. If you believe that the sound in your ML is better, that is nice. As you said, we all hear things differently.
Old 01-27-14, 11:45 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Yotee1642: Those that don't like ML prefer sound that emphasizes bass - the more the better. That's why you and others don't like the ML. ML evenly covers the full-range of sound - without emphasis on bass and mid-frequencies. Do some independent research and don't rely solely on your ears. Posts who state their older cars had better sound also proves the point that your hearing was better back then. :-)
Old 01-27-14, 11:52 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

This article explains in greater detail the limitations and audio frequency emphasis of Bose sound systems.

http://liquidtheater.com/editorial_56.html
Old 01-27-14, 03:18 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Yeah, I didn't want to go there, but Bose is a joke in the audiophile community. I had one of their $2000+ home theater systems for exactly one day before I returned it. My existing Denon Theater in a Box system was far better, and it was on sale for $449.

But people should buy what sounds pleasing to their own ears. But for me, accuracy is important, and that rules out anything from Bose.

Here's an overview of both companies:

http://hometheaterreview.com/mark-levinson/

http://hometheaterreview.com/bose/

Last edited by Bob04; 01-27-14 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 03:47 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
So, what was once revered as the standard for luxury cars, is now considered to be pure junk. Shocking!

I have a theory as to why this perception exists. I suspect that most of the people who post on this site are of the younger generation. It is possible that they have a hearing deficiency caused by excessive volume levels from years of iPods and other personal listening devices as they grew up. This has been known for some time and warnings have been given many times.

Consequently they just can't get the volume high enough to enjoy the system.
Of course, the flip side of that is that some owners could also be elderly and have lost most of their hearing and can't tell the difference between a good system and a bad one. I don't see too many young people walking around with hearing aids. If you don't mind me asking, what is your age?

The idea that so many people are unhappy with the sound system because they're young and going deaf actually sounds pretty crazy in my opinion. Many people have give comparisons to other luxury cars and the Lexus ML system comes up short.

I'm also in the camp that thinks it's mediocre. If it was a stock system on something like a Toyota Camry, it would be fine, but a $2,000 upgrade on Lexus flagship sedan that costs around $80,000 when new? It's a complete rip off, the fact that such a high end audio company made such a generic sound system is insulting.

And that's not even getting into all the issues the sound system has with speakers falling apart, subwoofers tearing, and amplifiers blowing. If I bought the car new, I would have definitely passed on the upgrade option to Mark Levinson.

The LS is a fantastic car, but it's not perfect. But I would much rather have a mediocre sound system on a reliable car than an amazing sound system in a car that was at the shop every week.
Old 01-27-14, 10:08 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry, but saying the sound system "should be better because its a flagship car" is a little absurd. The OEM stereo Lexus put in the car was for the original buyer who bought the car new, not guy who bought the car used. ( Same with the OEM wheels, lol ).

If you want something different or better, there is a ton of stuff out there.

You can put $ 3,000 worth of wheels/tires and a $ 3,000 sound system in your used $ 15,000 8 year old car. If it makes you happy, do it !
Old 01-28-14, 05:01 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I find the sound system in the ML decent. I listened to an A8 05 Bose and it was fantastic. Their premium is the B and O system which I imagine is incredible. Lexus takes a back seat to the A8 in 05-06 for sure.
Old 01-28-14, 05:16 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Again I would call the stereo decent in its class. However if ya look at the subwoofer aside from all the prolems with it it is a lightweight mediocre paper sub at best. Are paper speakers like the sub in the doors and dash?

Quick Reply: 06 Mark Levinson mediocre sound quality