LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06 Mark Levinson mediocre sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 08:32 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

If I could easily swap out what was in there with aftermarket parts, it wouldn't even be a question. You could put together a better sound system buying audio equipment from a WalMart. A $40 subwoofer would be better than what came with the Mark Levinson package.

And dated technology is not why it's a mediocre sound system, they had quality car audio equipment in the 2000s.

Lexus dropped the ball. And even if you think the sound system is "good enough", how do explain away all the issues it has? I've never owned a car with so many audio issues. The materials they used for the cheap paper speakers are simply not suited for a car.

There's all sorts of companies that have sprouted up simply to service these systems because of all the issues.
Old 02-26-14, 06:42 PM
spidernyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2006 ls430 and im curious if it is possible to put an aftermarket system in the car subs,amp etc? I have a gs300 and and had no issues upgrading but this car is making my life difficult
Old 03-13-14, 07:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
When I test drove my "new" LS430 last month, the sub was blown and low end was very weak. Before purchasing it, they installed a new one and the difference was night and day. Turn up the bass, and it shakes the rear view mirror. More bass than I would ever need and want.
Go easy on the volume as the ML subwoofer is a weak link in the audio system and can easily be blown. Some members who didn't like the expense of replacing the OEM ML subwoofer and go aftermarket have experienced fried amps which comes to very big $$$$$$$$.
Old 03-13-14, 07:54 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Go easy on the volume as the ML subwoofer is a weak link in the audio system and can easily be blown. Some members who didn't like the expense of replacing the OEM ML subwoofer and go aftermarket have experienced fried amps which comes to very big $$$$$$$$.
No worries. I rarely listen to music at high volume, and music with lots of bass isn't really my thing.
Old 03-14-14, 12:23 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If Mark Levinson had actually designed the system, it would be fantastic. HK owns his brand, and they designed it. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I sold high end audio (including Levinson equipment) when I was in college, and right after college. I have an incredible system at home, so I do know good from lousy sound. The ML in the LS is lousy. My wife's A8 has a Bose system, which smokes the ML, and the Bose is standard equipment on that car.
I have thought about upgrading the woofer, but I never get around to it.
Old 03-16-14, 12:07 AM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

We have discussed this one a many times. My ML works perfectly fine. When I read the first compliant about the ML sysytem, the firrst thing i played was Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and it was phenomenal, as was Fur Elise. Once I set the surround sound how I wanted it, I could hear the music soooo clearly, the instruments crescendo throughout the cabin. Then I played one of my favoraites Luhter Vandross's "Superstar", I am a believer in the ML system. BTW, I also play 2PAC and some Issac Hayes.

JMHO

Last edited by Tmarbury; 03-16-14 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 12:35 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Much as I hate to say it the old nakimichi system in the Ls400s blows the pants off the ML system. They never should have changed it
Old 03-16-14, 07:07 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tmarbury
We have discussed this one a many times. My ML works perfectly fine. When I read the first compliant about the ML sysytem, the firrst thing i played was Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and it was phenomenal, as was Fur Elise. Once I set the surround sound how I wanted it, I could hear the music soooo clearly, the instruments crescendo throughout the cabin. Then I played one of my favoraites Luhter Vandross's "Superstar", I am a believer in the ML system. BTW, I also play 2PAC and some Issac Hayes.

JMHO
You are correct. The ML system was the best system of it's time and still better than many factory systems. All about clarity and accuracy. If you want something that is 90% base, it's not the system for you, nor do it want to be. Loudness and bass doesn't define a great system.

On the flip side, Bose is horrible. Nothing but inaccurate, over-equalized garbage. I would pay extra NOT to have one in my car.
Old 03-17-14, 10:55 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Folks who know sound systems, know that Bose blows. Bose is a marketing company that spends money marketing inferior sound systems as high-end systems, and they have done a terrific job fooling the masses, making Bose an elite standard by which other systems are measured.
Old 03-17-14, 12:51 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I have to disagree

One, Bose doesn't blow. Their household stuff is very average, but their in car stuff is pretty good. Much of that is because most standard in car audio is lousy. ML being the best at its time is way off the mark. Whoever said that the Nakamichi system in the original LS was far better than the ML is absolutely correct. Also, B&O has been making audio systems in cars that blow ML out of the water.

Good bass is not about big thump. It is about definition. I have a Bose car at home and the ML in my LS. The ML lacks definition, definition in bass (the bass is muddy no matter if loud or not), soundstage is poor, and overall I would rate it average.

The Bose does all of the above pretty well, and does it well at decent volume. I can actually hear detail in the bass.

Best way to compare them is to set all tone controls to flat....then play them. The ML scores poor once again. Let's keep in mind that ML is just a name. Nakamichi was a serious player in the audio world. I just sold a Nakamichi tape deck that is over twenty years old (home unit not car) for $450.

Lexus could do a while lot better with a standard sound system, but remember, what drives the sound system in a car is the cost to the manufacturer...not the quality of sound. The ML spin was long after Levinson was out of the company. Lexus would never have paid for a system he designed, as it would have been expensive. He is one of the best audio system designers period. Take a look at his used amps and pre-amps for sale on the internet. Also look at his Cello audio systems line.

The ML is just an okay system in a great car. Too bad that they didn't stick with the Nakamichi unit.
Old 03-18-14, 09:28 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I would say that modern day Bose and the family of Harmon marketed car systems (like Infinity and ML) are about equal in terms of quality. They are designed to a price point and generally use lower quality components to maximize margins. I think Nakamichi and B&O (would have to research) are still standalone real high end audio companies so these systems would be in another league in terms of quality of design and components.

Having said that lots of smart people on the forum love the sound of the ML systems so YMMV. I know in the LS460 the ML system sounds a lot better than the standard system. I have the standard system in my LS430 (made by Pioneer) and I think it sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-18-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-18-14, 06:13 PM
740ilsamue
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodoo
Im not an audiophile by any means, just an average person. But I think the ML is decent. I only listen to my ipod through the vais sl2vi I have installed and it sounds good to me. I admit after listening to radio, it sounds like crap but cds or ipod modules are good. I also have 2 8 inch subs in the trunk added also. you can always upgrade if you like to improve sound.
Doo, I've wondered what you meant to say about your speaker addition. Could you explain more in detail? I recently bought and installed a 8inch 8ohm sub to replace my blown sub. I know the amp requires 16ohms, so I was wondering if that is what you did by using 2 8inch subs.
Old 03-19-14, 09:28 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I do consider myself something of an audiophile. My home system consists of single ended triode monoblock amps fed by a tube preamp and a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable all playing though single driver hand made folded horns. I listen to jazz, classical, classic rock and opera.

The ML system in my old 04 and in my new 05 is a disappointment. I was very excited after reading all the glowing reviews about the ML system, even though I knew he was gone (I think Mark Levinson now owns Red Rose Music) and Levinson was owned by some crappy large corporation. If you like the system in this car, that's great, and I'm happy for you. Ignorance is bliss. I loved my Fisher stereo my father got me back in 1977, but that doesn't mean 8 track tapes don't sound bad. I just didn't know any better.

Assuming that anyone that doesn't like the stereo in the LS is only listening to hip hop or bass heavy music is another red flag that you're not really paying attention. A good stereo should be able to handle anything thrown at it with very few limitations. I guess crazy heavy competition bass tracks would be one thing only a specialized stereo can handle, but classical music and rap both have very low bass notes. Classical being just as bad as hip hop. Listen to The Planets by Holst and you will see what I mean. Snoop Dog would probably be holding his ears.

The ML system is weak, it may have an ok soundstage in front but the speakers in the rear doors are way underpowered in relation to the fronts. I know they are only supposed to provide "fill" but it's like they aren't there at all. Listening to just one channel reveals a mid range speaker that sounds like someone covered it with a thick towel and the tweeter sounds like it belongs in a Yugo. The rear channels are even worse when heard individually.

My problem is I know NOTHING about car audio products and that modern cars have integrated the stereo deep into the dash. The days of getting a single or double DIN head unit and a nice amp are over. I don't even know how to start trying to improve this stereo. So I usually just listen to 80s pop ( a lot of which generally sounded like crap anyway) or NPR.
Old 03-21-14, 08:15 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mafpolo
If Mark Levinson had actually designed the system, it would be fantastic. HK owns his brand, and they designed it.
Mark Levinson left the company he founded in the early 80's.

And while Mark Levinson is part of the Harman International Group, the design for the LS430 was done in on collaboration with Mark Levinson sound engineers.
Old 03-21-14, 04:00 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Mark Levinson left the company he founded in the early 80's.

And while Mark Levinson is part of the Harman International Group, the design for the LS430 was done in on collaboration with Mark Levinson sound engineers.
My guess is the Levinson people did the speaker placement or whatever it is that sets up the soundstage in front which really is very good. EVERYTHING ELSE BLOWS in relative terms. The ML system carried a big premium and really didn't live up to the hype OR cost.

SO.... now that we all feel better and have aired our grievances, is there any way to fix the issue?

Quick Reply: 06 Mark Levinson mediocre sound quality