LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06 Mark Levinson mediocre sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 06:08 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Didn't live up to the hype or cost?

That is ridiculous. I've never seen a review that did anything but say how incredible it was. Since it's introduction, it has been the factory system that other factory system are measured by. The only factory system I've heard that could compete with the ML system is the B&O system in the Audi A8, and it cost almost $7000 if I remember correctly.
Old 03-22-14, 07:14 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

I have no issues whatsoever with the sound. My only complaint is with the crappy quality of the paper speakers that fall apart prematurely.
Old 03-22-14, 07:56 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You nailed it

Originally Posted by mannye
I do consider myself something of an audiophile. My home system consists of single ended triode monoblock amps fed by a tube preamp and a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable all playing though single driver hand made folded horns. I listen to jazz, classical, classic rock and opera.

The ML system in my old 04 and in my new 05 is a disappointment. I was very excited after reading all the glowing reviews about the ML system, even though I knew he was gone (I think Mark Levinson now owns Red Rose Music) and Levinson was owned by some crappy large corporation. If you like the system in this car, that's great, and I'm happy for you. Ignorance is bliss. I loved my Fisher stereo my father got me back in 1977, but that doesn't mean 8 track tapes don't sound bad. I just didn't know any better.

Assuming that anyone that doesn't like the stereo in the LS is only listening to hip hop or bass heavy music is another red flag that you're not really paying attention. A good stereo should be able to handle anything thrown at it with very few limitations. I guess crazy heavy competition bass tracks would be one thing only a specialized stereo can handle, but classical music and rap both have very low bass notes. Classical being just as bad as hip hop. Listen to The Planets by Holst and you will see what I mean. Snoop Dog would probably be holding his ears.

The ML system is weak, it may have an ok soundstage in front but the speakers in the rear doors are way underpowered in relation to the fronts. I know they are only supposed to provide "fill" but it's like they aren't there at all. Listening to just one channel reveals a mid range speaker that sounds like someone covered it with a thick towel and the tweeter sounds like it belongs in a Yugo. The rear channels are even worse when heard individually.

My problem is I know NOTHING about car audio products and that modern cars have integrated the stereo deep into the dash. The days of getting a single or double DIN head unit and a nice amp are over. I don't even know how to start trying to improve this stereo. So I usually just listen to 80s pop ( a lot of which generally sounded like crap anyway) or NPR.
I agree 100%. Well put
Old 03-22-14, 08:01 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Levinson Not Part of Harmon

Originally Posted by Bob04
Mark Levinson left the company he founded in the early 80's.

And while Mark Levinson is part of the Harman International Group, the design for the LS430 was done in on collaboration with Mark Levinson sound engineers.
Levinson is not part of the Harmon Group. When he left, he left. For a while he was with LG, and now ons Rose Red. The ML engineers were given a price pint, and Lexus were excited to use the ML name. I haven't heard the base Pioneer system in an LS, but it wouldn't surprise me if it sounds better. I even wonder how many ML engineers stayed at HK when Levinson left. The cultures between the two companies are 180 degrees different. Hard for me to imagine an ML engineer putting in poor quality speakers and sub woofer as they did.
Old 03-22-14, 10:02 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Lexus was fortunate to have kept the shoddy ML sound system a secret from 2001 to 2006, or they wouldn't have been able to sell any cars! Really?
Old 03-22-14, 03:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought the Bose system in the A8 was nicer than the ML, would like to here the B and O system! the ML is ok, the base is less hipe but sounds decent.
Old 03-23-14, 06:01 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default You are right

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I thought the Bose system in the A8 was nicer than the ML, would like to here the B and O system! the ML is ok, the base is less hipe but sounds decent.
The Bose system in the A8 has much more detail to it, wider dynamic range, and the bass actually has detail and definition. The ML was marketing hype. It does not take away from the LS being a great automobile.
Old 03-23-14, 06:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

With all the money we save on repairs over the Rings Of Death its and easy upgrade prolly with speakers,LOL.
Old 03-23-14, 06:08 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I disagree.

I've heard the Bose in the A8, and it is average, at best. That's why it is the standard system. And that's why they can charge an outrageous $6300 for the B&O system.
Old 03-23-14, 06:12 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Levinson is not part of the Harmon Group. When he left, he left. For a while he was with LG, and now ons Rose Red.
I thought I pretty much stated that when I said "Mark Levinson left the company he founded in the early 80's." Should have been obvious when I said Mark Levinson was part of the Harman (not Harmon) that I was talking about the company Mark Levinson, not the man.

The ML engineers were given a price pint, and Lexus were excited to use the ML name.
Name a car company where it works differently.

I haven't heard the base Pioneer system in an LS, but it wouldn't surprise me if it sounds better.
That's a joke. I've owned both, and it's not even close. And I have heard the Bose system in the A8 that you claim is so great, and it was average at best. Which explain why it was standard, since I can't see anybody paying extra for it. If it were as great as you think it is, there would be no way they could charge an outrageous $6300 for the B&O upgrade.

I even wonder how many ML engineers stayed at HK when Levinson left.
That doesn't even make sense. Mark Levinson (the man) left Mark Levinson (the company) 20 years before Harman came in 2001. So, you don't even have to wonder about that.

The cultures between the two companies are 180 degrees different. Hard for me to imagine an ML engineer putting in poor quality speakers and sub woofer as they did.
I see. You have some buthurtedness with Harman. The Mark Levinson line of home products certainly haven't been hurt by the association with Harman. The product that ML engineers designed with Harman to put in the LS430 made it the best factory system of it's time. If it junk to you, everything else around it's time would be even worse. Of course, that opinion doesn't line up with the multitude of reviews stating that the system is nothing short of amazing and worth every dime paid for it.
Old 03-23-14, 07:46 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Has anyone taken the speakers out of the ML? What do they look like? Everyone has different tastes and hearing levels.
When I took the speakers out of my Highlander SE they where utter trash.
Go ahead BOB, shoot away, yur the best.
Old 03-23-14, 10:59 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Actually Levinson was there when HK took over

I thought I pretty much stated that when I said "Mark Levinson left the company he founded in the early 80's." Should have been obvious when I said Mark Levinson was part of the Harman (not Harmon) that I was talking about the company Mark Levinson, not the man.

Name a car company where it works differently.

That's a joke. I've owned both, and it's not even close. And I have heard the Bose system in the A8 that you claim is so great, and it was average at best. Which explain why it was standard, since I can't see anybody paying extra for it. If it were as great as you think it is, there would be no way they could charge an outrageous $6300 for the B&O upgrade.

That doesn't even make sense. Mark Levinson (the man) left Mark Levinson (the company) 20 years before Harman came in 2001. So, you don't even have to wonder about that.

I see. You have some buthurtedness with Harman. The Mark Levinson line of home products certainly haven't been hurt by the association with Harman. The product that ML engineers designed with Harman to put in the LS430 made it the best factory system of it's time. If it junk to you, everything else around it's time would be even worse. Of course, that opinion doesn't line up with the multitude of reviews stating that the system is nothing short of amazing and worth every dime paid for it.
A guy named Sandy Berlin owned HK, and they purchased a majority interest in Levinson. By the time Mark Levinson left the company, HK owned all of it, including Levinson's name. I worked for a high end audio company back then, and we represented Levinson before HK and during. Yes, their home audio suffered when he left. Today's ML trades on its name for those who don't know any better. He is a brilliant engineer and designer. Take a look at Ebay to see what real (pre-Harmon) components bring.

All auto manufacturers set a price point when designing a system. If you really think that the Bose in an A8 sounds as good, or worse than the ML, get a hearing test. It doesn't. I've had my old boss who still has the high end audio business listen to them, and he agrees that the A8 is a lot better than the ML. As for the B&O. That's for the person who doesn't care about the budget, and loads up the car. It is a great system, but, it is made with top quality components in very small quantities.

Bottom line. Levinson was there when HK came in. He was gone when Lexus hired ML to build a system for the LS. HK probably did the best they could with the budget they had. Bose built a better sounding unit for Audi (it is not standard in all of their cars).

p.s. Let me guess. You probably think that CD's sound better than vinyl
Old 03-23-14, 12:01 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Yeah, Lexus and ML fooled the entire automotive audio industry into thinking they made an outstanding system when in reality, it is garbage. End probably worse than the standard system according to you.

Really? How did they do that?
Old 03-23-14, 12:15 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeah, Lexus and ML fooled the entire automotive audio industry into thinking they made an outstanding system when in reality, it is garbage. End probably worse than the standard system according to you.

Really? How did they do that?
Must be because only idiots bought the new cars from dealers!
Old 03-23-14, 12:35 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Must be because only idiots bought the new cars from dealers!
Yep. I agree. That must be it.

And for some reason, they decided to build one of the best cars in the world but offer a terrible sound system as the upgrade. Then, they somehow got the entire automotive audio world to call it not just great, but the best in the market. The benchmark that all other OEM systems are compared to.

Amazing work by Lexus.

Quick Reply: 06 Mark Levinson mediocre sound quality