LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 06:40 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by username32
They do...isnt the Ct200h something sorta Prius-ish plus Luxury?
CT has lower MPG and less room than the Prius. The new Accord Hybrid is rated at 50 MPG, but we'll see what it gets in the real world.
Old 02-15-14, 07:03 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
CT has lower MPG and less room than the Prius. The new Accord Hybrid is rated at 50 MPG, but we'll see what it gets in the real world.
Don't forget 200lbs heavier too but interior looks way nicer.
Old 02-16-14, 04:08 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

... but back on topic, my 05 LS430 CL had the nicest interior of any vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 02-18-14, 04:51 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Being a proud owner of an 01 RX with 362K miles on it I can attest that it is not "garbage". No, it does not ride as well as my LS but it is not designed to. It is an SUV. You really can't compare any other Lexus model to the LS. It is the flagship model for them. From my experience on working on a lot of Lexus models, the older GS430's are almost, I said almost, as solid as the LS.
Old 02-18-14, 05:39 PM
throbinson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Just4Lexus speaks the truth, as i also feel spoiled by the greatness of the LS 430 i've owned for eleven years. Believe (painfully and sadly) that Lexus has gone for tech and has stopped caring about creating real joy for its customers by abandoning the world-class comfortable and quiet ride they used to provide...one that you truly looked forward to experiencing each and every time. The increase in "clicks" and other annoying sounds, less comfortable seats, more power coupled with eight gears so the engine almost struggles to go fast in an ultra smooth way, all point to a brand that likely has changed its target market/audience. Who knows, maybe their new audience provides Lexus with larger market share points and revenues, and that's what they're really after.
Old 02-18-14, 07:28 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being in North east this winter I can appreciate the awd and go anywhere of the RX. Also, when I'm lazy and don't want to shovel the driveway...I dont...haha
Old 02-19-14, 02:52 AM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beyond rim size though, the LS430 was (arguably) the last old school Toyota sedan.

I don't mean to take anything away from the LS460, which excellent in its own right.

But the LS430 is ultimately an evolution of the LS400 platform after Toyota refined it for 10 years. It's an absurdly high quality car. Aside from the hood and trunk struts (which I'll replace when it warms up) everything in my car works the way it did when it rolled off the line in Tahara in January 2001. That's old school Toyota. I bought the car with 69k miles, and if I'm lucky I'll drive it for at least 150,000 miles yet. And I bet it'll drive exactly like how it does now for every one of those 150,000 future miles. That's old school Toyota.

These LS460s were made for a new world. For some reason, luxury cars have to have some athletic prowess now. There were some stumbles in the beginning (2007-2009 LS460 might be the lowest quality LSs since the 1989-1990 LS400s) but I think that every one of the newer LSs will last 200,000 miles easy. But they're not old school Toyotas. They aren't super plush and isolated, they're probably not easy to work on under a shade tree or in an average garage, and they don't feature a lot of common Toyota technology. Most mechanics who have seen/worked on a 4WD/RWD Toyota (SUVs incluced) probably has an idea of what they're doing on an LS430. These LS460s have a lot of new technology. We've yet to see it last for 20 years, like the technology in Cressidas and LS400s.
Old 02-19-14, 07:56 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by airchomper
Beyond rim size though, the LS430 was (arguably) the last old school Toyota sedan.

I don't mean to take anything away from the LS460, which excellent in its own right.

But the LS430 is ultimately an evolution of the LS400 platform after Toyota refined it for 10 years. It's an absurdly high quality car. Aside from the hood and trunk struts (which I'll replace when it warms up) everything in my car works the way it did when it rolled off the line in Tahara in January 2001. That's old school Toyota. I bought the car with 69k miles, and if I'm lucky I'll drive it for at least 150,000 miles yet. And I bet it'll drive exactly like how it does now for every one of those 150,000 future miles. That's old school Toyota.

These LS460s were made for a new world. For some reason, luxury cars have to have some athletic prowess now. There were some stumbles in the beginning (2007-2009 LS460 might be the lowest quality LSs since the 1989-1990 LS400s) but I think that every one of the newer LSs will last 200,000 miles easy. But they're not old school Toyotas. They aren't super plush and isolated, they're probably not easy to work on under a shade tree or in an average garage, and they don't feature a lot of common Toyota technology. Most mechanics who have seen/worked on a 4WD/RWD Toyota (SUVs incluced) probably has an idea of what they're doing on an LS430. These LS460s have a lot of new technology. We've yet to see it last for 20 years, like the technology in Cressidas and LS400s.
Well said - 100% agree.

The LS430 represented the pinnacle of what Lexus was created to achieve for a factory built mass produced car. The factory designed to build the LS430 in Japan was the ultimate facility in terms of quality standards and precision of its kind. It is likely never going to be duplicated at a price point affordable to the target demographic.
Old 02-19-14, 11:15 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

chiming in here. Good points airchomper, Jabberwock I have driven so many models of cars import and domestic, including a LS460 just last week, and I have to admit the LS430 is in a class by itself.

I don't post here much mainly because there is NOTHING EVER WRONG WITH THE CAR!!

It's nice to actually brag more about a car than complain for sure Cheers to the embodiment of the LS430
Old 02-19-14, 06:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope my LS lasts another 25 years and 300k miles because I don't even want to have to think what to drive next.
Old 02-20-14, 06:43 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

hmm.. this is becoming a very intresting thread. adding my two cents to it. me myself ive always had Ls400s and ive never been much of a fan of the 430. i havent driven one in years and havent spent much time behind the wheel of one. hell i work at a lexus dealership maybe i should go grab one of the used ones off the lot and take it for a spin, see what all the fuss is about lol. anyway yeah, some good points here. the Ls460 is a awesome car, but it isnt old school toyota thats for sure. not saying its a bad thing though. the Ls460 is a totally diffrent animal than the 400s/430s, they are jam packed with all kinds of new technology that hasnt survived the test of time. i used to say the same thing about the 430s cause they were still making them when i got my first 400, i used to say "i wonder how well these 430s will hold up over the next 10-15 years" i never thought they would make it. well here we are 13 years later and i see 01-03 430s show up as trade ins all the time. and indeed they have held up VERY well, better than i thought they would honestly. paint still good, leather seats still okay, no cracks in the woodgrain, everything still working etc. so those "new Ls430s" have held up. as for the Ls460, i think they may have lost a bit of the cush the older ones have but they still drive like a dream, and are very quick off the line. remember, its new but its still a lexus. im sure they tested all this technology for years before putting it in the cars. and honestly i doubt the guys at lexus never would have thought there would still be 25 year old examples of the Ls still running around out there back when they were building them in 89. but needless to say, i am VERY intrested to see how these new Ls460s age. what are they gunna be like at 20 years old? will they ride as nice as my 1995 Ls400?
Old 02-20-14, 07:16 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Check out this thread Rob, it's kind of revealing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-vs-ls460.html
Old 02-20-14, 08:27 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

good point
Old 02-20-14, 08:30 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

then again i have awhile before i get to the 460. next one im going for is a 98-00 Ls400, in a few years from now, then a later Ls430 for a few years, then a 460 when i can get one for $2500 at 15 years old
but im gunna ride the Ls400 wave as long as i can. there just getting so old now i wont be able to have one as my soul sorce of transport soon.
Old 02-22-14, 12:13 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya know guys, I've had my RX now for about 2 weeks and I have to say I'm warming up to it. Yes my LS is still way better in so many ways- but I am starting to like the RX too for what it brings to the table. I gave her a good interior cleaning, which helped me feel good about my new purchase. Got rid of all the garbage crap detail products that we're used before it was sold. ......We may be friends, but will never be lovers. My LS has nothing to worry about. But it's nice to be able to park on a mountain of snow and blast out of a spot.

Quick Reply: I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!