LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 06:20 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be very interesting to know the percentage of the various "packages" (called "selections" by Lexus) for the different years. It is quite possible that there were not very many '04 PCS cars built - I don't know the numbers.
Old 02-26-14, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Just a little bump to the OP.

Of all things I have a 2014 RX as a loaner, and I did quite a bit of driving all over town today in it. I actually quite like it. Some of the plastics in the interior are inexcusably bad I agree, especially the console around the shifter, terrible hard plastic, and the leather is not very nice quality, the vinyl on the sides doesn't even try to look like leather. Quite a step down from my GS & your LS.

BUT, from a ride and drive perspective, comfort...I like it. Its smooth and quiet, but a little trucky. Powertrain is smooth and very refined. If they would make some upgrades to the material quality inside I'd buy one.
Old 02-27-14, 04:50 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little perspective on inflation to show how much we have had - and how insidious it is. The house I rented in LA was sold in 1974 for $11,000. A nice house in a nice neighborhood. You could buy a new VW Bug in 1972 for $1295. Granted a base model and easy to add costs but not even $2000! I saw a Nat Geo mag ad for Oldsmobile in 1974 for a 98 no less that said, "When you spend over $7000 on a new car shouldn't you consider Oldsmobile?"
It's a killer because average wages were around $25K to $30K. If you figure wages have gone up an average of 3x to 4x that you need to multiply the house and car costs times 3 and 4 and see what you get. Are you depressed yet?
Expect it again over the next 10 years or so due to all the spending after the '08 Recession. Then you can say, "Man, I could buy a top of the line Lexus for only $85,000 back in '14...."
Old 02-28-14, 09:20 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Just a little bump to the OP.

Of all things I have a 2014 RX as a loaner, and I did quite a bit of driving all over town today in it. I actually quite like it. Some of the plastics in the interior are inexcusably bad I agree, especially the console around the shifter, terrible hard plastic, and the leather is not very nice quality, the vinyl on the sides doesn't even try to look like leather. Quite a step down from my GS & your LS.

BUT, from a ride and drive perspective, comfort...I like it. Its smooth and quiet, but a little trucky. Powertrain is smooth and very refined. If they would make some upgrades to the material quality inside I'd buy one.
Very true- the 14 has an updated suspension, the 10-11's are indeed firmer. If my car drove as good as your loaner too, I would be far happier. My CPO Warranty has replaced the rear shocks and front control arms, with updated parts, presumably the ones that are on the 14, and while there is an improvement for sure, the 14,is in fact more plush, even when on the same rim size and same michelin tire. There's got to be something more to the difference. I have however taken heed of this thread and don't berate my RX, as I've put it into perspective.
Old 03-14-14, 02:26 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When you look at the new cars that some manufacturers are puking out for $20-30k right now and compare it to a nicely maintained 430 that you can get at half the price, or less, it just doesn't make sense to buy new.

A few years back when I had my 99 LS400, a kid bumped into me at a stop light requiring a painting of the bumper cover. I had purchased the car in 2009 for $4500. (It had 177k on the odo but had all maintenance records.)

So while it is being painted I rented a Chevy Cobalt, which I think were going for $15-$17k new back then, maybe a tad more.

The Cobalt experience was like riding in a metal washtub while sitting on a 5 gallon paint bucket. I couldn't get over how much better my 10 year old $4500 car was than this new POS.

In July of '10 I found my 430 with 57k on the odo for $14k. Quite simply the best car I have ever owned. Without a doubt. And it made, and still makes much more sense, than buying something new that cost 2-3 times more.

Right now there is an 02 one owner with 74k for sale locally that was always serviced at dealer and garage kept for $12k. Most likely you could get it for less than that. It really is a no-brainer.
Old 03-14-14, 03:20 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99LSBrad
When you look at the new cars that some manufacturers are puking out for $20-30k right now and compare it to a nicely maintained 430 that you can get at half the price, or less, it just doesn't make sense to buy new.

A few years back when I had my 99 LS400, a kid bumped into me at a stop light requiring a painting of the bumper cover. I had purchased the car in 2009 for $4500. (It had 177k on the odo but had all maintenance records.)

So while it is being painted I rented a Chevy Cobalt, which I think were going for $15-$17k new back then, maybe a tad more.

The Cobalt experience was like riding in a metal washtub while sitting on a 5 gallon paint bucket. I couldn't get over how much better my 10 year old $4500 car was than this new POS.

In July of '10 I found my 430 with 57k on the odo for $14k. Quite simply the best car I have ever owned. Without a doubt. And it made, and still makes much more sense, than buying something new that cost 2-3 times more.

Right now there is an 02 one owner with 74k for sale locally that was always serviced at dealer and garage kept for $12k. Most likely you could get it for less than that. It really is a no-brainer.
You can't get much new for 25k these days. That only buys you a high line compact like a loaded civic or corolla or a base model Camry or accord. My 01' LS UL I got has 133k for $6k it needed a little work but it was worth the rather small investment for so much luxury.
Old 03-14-14, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99LSBrad
While I certainly agree that even an old LS is far more car than a new Cobalt (or I guess its the Cruze now, which is a much better car BTW)...there certainly are still reasons to buy new vs used, even at these price comparisons.

One of the big ones is warranty, repair and reliability. While the LS is very reliable, nothing lasts forever. A 10+ year old car is far more likely to leave you stranded, even an LS. Even at 10 years old its going to need things, the timing belt service, struts maybe, ball joints, other suspension and bushing components. You have starter issues, other wear items which are costly, especially on this car. If someone doesn't really have the ability to do things themselves or the knowledge to be able to find people to work on it well and economically...it can turn into a world of costly headaches.

Any way you slice it an economy car like that Cruze is going to be FAR more economical to own and drive than an LS...no matter how depreciated it is. Its a great value sure, but it isn't for everybody. For instance, I wouldn't suggest to my 22 year old receptionist who just bought a Jetta to get an old LS instead, she's a young girl starting out, doesn't have a lot of cash...doesn't have any knowledge of cars. Jetta is a much better buy for her.
Old 03-14-14, 08:10 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I guess I really should have qualified that comment.

No. I wouldn't suggest an LS for my 19 year-old daughter and her first car. But, not because of reliability. It's just too much car for her, as it likely would be for your 22 year-old receptionist. This definitely isn't a great car for a young woman.

There are other factors that come into play. A new car is probably an only option for many people as most will need to finance the purchase.

But for me, a new Jetta vs my LS? No way I go with the Jetta.

While I certainly agree that even an old LS is far more car than a new Cobalt (or I guess its the Cruze now, which is a much better car BTW)...there certainly are still reasons to buy new vs used, even at these price comparisons.

One of the big ones is warranty, repair and reliability. While the LS is very reliable, nothing lasts forever. A 10+ year old car is far more likely to leave you stranded, even an LS. Even at 10 years old its going to need things, the timing belt service, struts maybe, ball joints, other suspension and bushing components. You have starter issues, other wear items which are costly, especially on this car. If someone doesn't really have the ability to do things themselves or the knowledge to be able to find people to work on it well and economically...it can turn into a world of costly headaches.

Any way you slice it an economy car like that Cruze is going to be FAR more economical to own and drive than an LS...no matter how depreciated it is. Its a great value sure, but it isn't for everybody. For instance, I wouldn't suggest to my 22 year old receptionist who just bought a Jetta to get an old LS instead, she's a young girl starting out, doesn't have a lot of cash...doesn't have any knowledge of cars. Jetta is a much better buy for her.

Last edited by 99LSBrad; 03-14-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-15-14, 12:43 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove around a civic as a beater for awhile and it was like driving a washing machine with wheels compared to the LS. I sure saved money at the gas pump and other costs but life is too short not to love what you drive.
Old 03-15-14, 05:16 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am still not worried about the reliability of my 04 LS. I know plenty of folks with 1999 Camrys which go 250 k with finally a oil leak here or there but nothing until them.

And while 25-30 k gets you very little in a new decent car 30 k can get ya heck of an 09 or 010. Still driving my LS though as it is just such a trustworthy HWY cruiser, handles fine in Euro Sport and has a smooth drivetrain with good MPG's for my HWY commute.

As I get older and have all sorts of other priorities $20-22 k is about where I stay when I need a new vehicle always try to buy private owner with a factory warrantee that gets lost on trade in but warrantee for sure .
Old 03-15-14, 05:55 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Just because it's old dosent meen you need to be scared of it. My LS is 20 years old and is my daily driver. It hasn't let me down and I've driven it all over Florida. My old Ls was almost 25 years old and beat to crap and also, was rock solid and never left me stranded. If the 430s hold up as well as the 400s which the early ones are starting to get up there in age already, you shouldn't have anything to worry about even in a 01, for let's say, 20 years? btw I'm a Ls400 guy and not super bout the Ls430 but I find this thread very very interesting! So interesting I started one kind of like this in the Ls400 forum.
Old 03-15-14, 08:30 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 262 Likes on 190 Posts

You see it here often. Complaints about the prices when it comes to parts and service. The LS430 is still and will always be a high end luxury car. No matter what you pay for one, the service and repairs will still be more costly and your typical family or econo car. Just the nature of the high end luxury car beast. Just because depreciation allows you to buy are car doesn't mean that you can afford it.

My personal opinion is that if you can't put your hands on $5K cash tomorrow and not miss it, you don't need a high dollar luxury car.
Old 03-15-14, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
You see it here often. Complaints about the prices when it comes to parts and service. The LS430 is still and will always be a high end luxury car. No matter what you pay for one, the service and repairs will still be more costly and your typical family or econo car. Just the nature of the high end luxury car beast. Just because depreciation allows you to buy are car doesn't mean that you can afford it.

My personal opinion is that if you can't put your hands on $5K cash tomorrow and not miss it, you don't need a high dollar luxury car.
I agree 100%
Old 03-15-14, 10:35 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree 100%
USA Today had an article a few days ago that showed that virtually nobody can afford the cars they buy and drive. They are now stretching out loans to include well over 6 years so people can make the monthly payments, meaning the cars are worth less than they owe at the ending of the payments. This kind of summarizes the current "I want it now" society.
Old 03-15-14, 11:18 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayclapp
USA Today had an article a few days ago that showed that virtually nobody can afford the cars they buy and drive. They are now stretching out loans to include well over 6 years so people can make the monthly payments, meaning the cars are worth less than they owe at the ending of the payments. This kind of summarizes the current "I want it now" society.
To be fair, it's more in the middle of the payments that the car is worth less than what they owe. By the end of the payments, they by definition no longer owe anything, and the car is worth more than $0 just in scrap metal/parts.

In general, I agree with the rest of what you're saying though.

Quick Reply: I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!