LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY Spark Plug Change With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 05:59 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tube-seal.html

See the blue gaskets being installed on the underside of the valve cover in this video ... those are the plug tube seals >
Old 01-04-17, 04:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bluefranky
Thanks all for the reply. I already used the torque wrench to 15 ft lbs and everything went well. The plugs that were removed are ORIGINAL. 1 out of 8 was loose and removed it by hand only. My engine is smoother now but it was ok before just poor MPG. I am hoping with the spark plug change my MPG will improve. As far as the torque wrench I felt the washers get crushed and the amount of force I put on the wrench felt consistent in all 8 plugs. I am not worried about that but to be safe, I will check the plugs 1/4 th life or 30, 000 miles from now. My main question is the loose plug what impact did that have on the engine? I did notice after I put in the new plugs the car exhaust smell was strong for a few hard accelerations then gone. I think that was due to the carbon built up due to lack of full compression. What is surprising is why did I not get an engine light on?
The smell is gone now. I did notice the engine is quieter and smoother but same amount of power as before. I am thinking to reset my ECU by disconnecting the negative battery for 10 mins and see if that changes the engine behavior.

Any feedback regarding what impact a loose plug has on your engine? Why engine light did not go on? Thanks!
My feeling is the loose plug wouldn't have any effect, unless you mean that it was not even seated. I have changed many plugs (not the LS430) over many years, and never once did anything improve with new plugs, be it mpgs, smoothness, etc. imho it's a wear item and it should be done. I decided to not do it on my Maxima (60k intervals) for about 130k, and the motor was fine as were the mpgs. Just got lazy. When I got around to doing it, nothing changed. Ditto with the BMW, which has 45k intervals. Also noteworthy the Maxima plugs seem to cost double the LS, and the BMW more than double. So I guess a plug job is a real bargain and we may as well do it as recommended on this car...
Old 04-06-17, 09:15 PM
GFTSFG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this awesome post! I purchased my SC430 new in Dec of 2002 (2003 model year). In 14-years, I've put 61,000 miles and thought new plugs were in order. Seems like 10-15% boost in power - thanks to this great post. Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!
Old 04-07-17, 05:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I won't be doing this for a couple years as I'm at 88k, but on the BMW, locking extensions really help. I have a nice one made by SK, but it was too long for the #5 cyl. which is obstructed by the strut tower bar, so I bought a cheaper set on amazon with 3 lengths. Not subject to debate by the mfg., but folks debate it anyway, with that car, is never use antiseize on the plugs, and make sure your torque wrench is accurate to 17 ft lbs. (this implies something like a 5-75 since torque wrenches are not accurate below 20% of their upper range)...I'm sure locking extensions can't hurt with the Lexus as well....and I cannot get over how inexpensive the plugs are for this car, that is nice! (Maxima was $12 each, BMW was $15 and OEM was even higher)
Old 04-12-17, 03:24 PM
johnnyocho
Driver School Candidate

Default Do I need to change spark plugs?

I have a 2003 SC 430 but it only has 40k miles. The previous owner obviously did not drive it much. Service light came on and it is indicating a misfire on one cylinder. I am planning on just changing them all due to age but not sure it is necessary.
Old 04-12-17, 03:44 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyocho
I have a 2003 SC 430 but it only has 40k miles. The previous owner obviously did not drive it much. Service light came on and it is indicating a misfire on one cylinder. I am planning on just changing them all due to age but not sure it is necessary.
I would check the wires to the coil on the cylinder that is misfiring closely for damage. It's that or a bad coil most likely.
The following users liked this post:
johnnyocho (04-12-17)
Old 05-22-17, 07:03 AM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyocho
I would replace the coil. misfire is usually a coil not a spark plug.
Old 06-25-17, 11:55 AM
rpusic929
Driver School Candidate

Followed as instructed and everything went smoothly. Took about 90 min. No battery removal needed but I did think that last one would take more time. Last changed at 121k just before I bought it in 04/2014 and has 203k. All in less than $90.
Old 06-27-17, 07:33 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rpusic929
Followed as instructed and everything went smoothly. Took about 90 min. No battery removal needed but I did think that last one would take more time. Last changed at 121k just before I bought it in 04/2014 and has 203k. All in less than $90.
Nice job!!! What plugs did you use?
Old 06-27-17, 09:07 AM
wenig
Driver School Candidate

Default DIY Lexus SC430 spark plug change

Thanks for all of the posts, they were very helpful.

One of the posts showed a picture of the "magnetic gear spark plug wrench" -- That tool is amazing for getting at the plugs and not dropping them. I bought mine at Amazon for $15 or so. Probably saved me 1 hour.

Robert
Old 06-30-17, 04:37 PM
rpusic929
Driver School Candidate

I used the Denso SK20R11 from Amazon, $65. I too got the magnetic spark plug but at the local Autozone for about the same price.
Old 07-01-17, 05:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not looking forward to this job for some reason, but what can one do, I'm at 93k. From past experience I can't emphasize enough how helpful I find the locking extension bars to be, and also the 5-75 ft lb 3/8 torque wrench. On the other forum we've been lectured until the sun goes down by folks who have assembled race car motors how a torque wrench is for rookies who don't know what they're doing. Don't care, I use it lol

Also from experience, I have never seen any benefit from replacing plugs, probably because I've always done them at the recommended interval (meaning, what's the difference between 119,999.9 and 120,000.1)....my other car has a 45k interval, so it's pretty frequent, yet still no change after new plugs go in...
Old 07-01-17, 07:42 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm not looking forward to this job for some reason, but what can one do, I'm at 93k. From past experience I can't emphasize enough how helpful I find the locking extension bars to be, and also the 5-75 ft lb 3/8 torque wrench. On the other forum we've been lectured until the sun goes down by folks who have assembled race car motors how a torque wrench is for rookies who don't know what they're doing. Don't care, I use it lol

Also from experience, I have never seen any benefit from replacing plugs, probably because I've always done them at the recommended interval (meaning, what's the difference between 119,999.9 and 120,000.1)....my other car has a 45k interval, so it's pretty frequent, yet still no change after new plugs go in...
Don't have anxiety about doing the plugs. I'm no master mechanic, but I'd rate the job about a 3.5 on the difficulty scale of 1-10 with 1=easiest. As long as you have a nice assortment of extension bars and some swivel sockets, etc, you'll be fine. (To seize or not to use seize? lol) Just take your time and allocate about half a day (4hours) and you should be ok, and try to use a torque wrench.

The only aspect that I'll emphasize (since I damaged mine and was troubleshooting for days afterwards), is the delicate wire connection at each plug. Here's my thread from last year. A pic of the delicate connector where you need to be extremely careful is on post #21... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-shaking.html I apparently squeezed 1 wire out of it's connector when trying to grip the connector with my hands. Some sort of duckbilll plier or similar would be helpful!

What plugs will you be using?
Old 07-01-17, 07:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Don't have anxiety about doing the plugs. I'm no master mechanic, but I'd rate the job about a 3.5 on the difficulty scale of 1-10 with 1=easiest. As long as you have a nice assortment of extension bars and some swivel sockets, etc, you'll be fine. (To seize or not to use seize? lol) Just take your time and allocate about half a day (4hours) and you should be ok, and try to use a torque wrench.

The only aspect that I'll emphasize (since I damaged mine and was troubleshooting for days afterwards), is the delicate wire connection at each plug. Here's my thread from last year. A pic of the delicate connector where you need to be extremely careful is on post #21... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-shaking.html I apparently squeezed 1 wire out of it's connector when trying to grip the connector with my hands. Some sort of duckbilll plier or similar would be helpful!

What plugs will you be using?

Thx, I was just poking around and saw it seems only 1 plug is not visible with the cover on....I would use either oem or the oe....prefer to keep things the same...I remember searching and they were surprisingly not expensive....even the Maxima was like $12 ea?

Haha I would never use anti seize....and I am a big fan like on brake rotors....
Old 02-15-18, 03:24 PM
Lexus62
Driver School Candidate

Default Spark plugs changed

Got the Sc430 back today after the spark plugs were changed. Felt good driving but did not seem to be as peppy when you touch that accelerator it had a take off GO ! Was not able to take it to Lexus so had to settle for a local garage. He stated they put platinum in the car. Does this change the performance ? I just know when I turn a corner to accelerate the car lifts and goes.. Now it seems to just go. Is this imagination or is there a difference in performing ? Thank you!!

Quick Reply: DIY Spark Plug Change With Pics