LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Purchasing an 04 LS430: Water Pump / Timing Belt Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 12:11 PM
albdre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing an 04 LS430: Water Pump / Timing Belt Q

The car has only 68000mi and we'll kept. The carfax shows the timing belt was replaced at 60000mi. The dealer informed me the water pump would typically be replaced as well. Is this true? The carfax does not show it.

Thanks everyone... I've spent the last week browsing this site and learned a lot about this car and love it!

Last edited by albdre; 02-27-14 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 12:15 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i'd call the the dealer where the work was done and ask them if they can pull up the service records for the car. this should tell u if it was replaced or not.
Old 02-27-14, 12:22 PM
albdre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i'd call the the dealer where the work was done and ask them if they can pull up the service records for the car. this should tell u if it was replaced or not.
This is the same dealer where the car was initially sold at and serviced so that should make it a lot easier. I did ask for service records but they printed the carfax I already had. Another question to piggy back off is can I ask how much they paid for the car as a trade in? Will they provid and an invoice for it?

Thank you
Old 02-27-14, 12:35 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Dealers may not replace the water pump at that low of mileage unless it was leaking... Usually the TB is done at 90K not at your 60K. I would bet the pump was not done unless the owner specifically stated to replace it.
Old 02-27-14, 01:52 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by albdre
This is the same dealer where the car was initially sold at and serviced so that should make it a lot easier. I did ask for service records but they printed the carfax I already had. Another question to piggy back off is can I ask how much they paid for the car as a trade in? Will they provid and an invoice for it?

Thank you
you can ask but i wouldnt bet the kids that there answer will be the truth.they will not show you anything about what they paid for the car.
Old 02-27-14, 02:33 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to My Lexus, register, add the vin number then check service history. Any service performed by a Lexus dealer should be displayed.
Old 02-27-14, 10:42 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by albdre
The car has only 68000mi and we'll kept. The carfax shows the timing belt was replaced at 60000mi. The dealer informed me the water pump would typically be replaced as well. Is this true? The carfax does not show it.

Thanks everyone... I've spent the last week browsing this site and learned a lot about this car and love it!
I'd not worry about it. That the timing belt was done is such a plus! You don't need to worry about it failing because of age. Your buying a ten year old car. Water pumps can fail and no damage done unless operator error.
Old 02-28-14, 05:35 AM
albdre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by beneteau
Go to My Lexus, register, add the vin number then check service history. Any service performed by a Lexus dealer should be displayed.
Thank you, I did this and sure enough TB & water pump were both replaced.

Going back to the dealer tonight to see if we can come to an agreement on price
Old 02-28-14, 05:53 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Somebody got suckered into paying all this money at 60k. Works out good for you.
Old 02-28-14, 06:34 AM
albdre
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all the feedback on this car. I hope I can return the favor down the road when I have some experience with this car.

I have been lurking on this site all this week trying to research this car inside out and I have been more than pleased. This is the right car for me...now it is just about the price.

I have attached the last part of the service history and was wondering if anyone saw anything out of order or something I should watch out for before I pull the trigger and buy this car???

Thank you everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Purchasing an 04 LS430: Water Pump / Timing Belt Q-04ls430.jpg  
Old 02-28-14, 07:36 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks good... How much are they asking for it?
Old 02-28-14, 07:43 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

This is a UL with the air suspension right? That is really the only weak spot on the UL's. Eventually, the air shocks will fail and to replace new they run around $1100 each before labor and alignment. You can swap the whole suspension out for the standard coil / shock for about $1500 - $2000. I'm at 111k on my 04 UL without any issues.
Old 02-28-14, 07:48 AM
albdre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Looks good... How much are they asking for it?
What do you think?
Old 02-28-14, 07:52 AM
albdre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
This is a UL with the air suspension right? That is really the only weak spot on the UL's. Eventually, the air shocks will fail and to replace new they run around $1100 each before labor and alignment. You can swap the whole suspension out for the standard coil / shock for about $1500 - $2000. I'm at 111k on my 04 UL without any issues.
Well that's the thing that is confusing...it is actually an ML.
From searching these forums, it's apparently typical for the ML to have them
Old 02-28-14, 07:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

You're going to pay up for a UL... that's for sure... and pay more from a dealer... so two strikes on the high side.
But then, the UL with all the extra bells and whistles may be what you're looking for. I know many of us live happily with less
You need to arrive at the price you're happy with..

Quick Reply: Purchasing an 04 LS430: Water Pump / Timing Belt Q