LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Great MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 02:39 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LS is supposed to have good aerodynamics, 0.26, from what I've read but sometimes it feels like it's getting blown all over the highway.
Old 04-09-14, 07:22 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
The LS is supposed to have good aerodynamics, 0.26, from what I've read but sometimes it feels like it's getting blown all over the highway.
The Lexus sports rear sway bar and sports bushing help a good bit. It's more related to a luxury sedan suspension. I just did this on mine. I think its worth the money.
Old 04-28-14, 02:36 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The computer is very accurate from what I have read.
I have been keeping a spreadsheet for over 5 years and I can also say that my computer is very accurate from one fill to the next as well as over the long haul.
The red line is the car trip computer and the blue line is my spreadsheet calculation. Given that 10% is about 2.2mpg you can see that my computer is almost always within 2-3% of the mathmatically calculated mpg. I dont burp, squeeze, refill, or do anything special when I fill my tank.
Attached Thumbnails Great MPG-gasmiles.jpg  
Old 04-28-14, 03:26 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Just do a 5-year average (all data you have) for both methods to more accurately determine the difference. Should be easy to do on your spread sheet.
Old 04-28-14, 06:45 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

My stats, using the "aCar" Android app http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...onewalker.acar
(see attached image)
Great MPG-forumrunner_20140428_184502.png

Min: 12.5mpg (short 5 miles each way commute)
Max: 24.6mpg (70 freeway miles @ 80mph mostly. No speeding tickets, Lol)

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 04-28-14, 09:01 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I get like 15-16 in the city, haha and I drive 90% city.
Old 04-29-14, 09:47 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
My stats, using the "aCar" Android app http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...onewalker.acar
(see attached image)
Attachment 326459

Min: 12.5mpg (short 5 miles each way commute)
Max: 24.6mpg (70 freeway miles @ 80mph mostly. No speeding tickets, Lol)

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
A simple plot of time vs avg tank mpg quickly tells the whole story. A lot easier and quicker than trying to dicepher individual data.
Old 04-29-14, 05:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

What are your average speeds on the trip computer? Mine is only 33 mph. Does not seem to go above that and my tank average is usually 21 mpg. Even though I drive on the highway for 80% of my commute between 60 and 80 mph for 18 miles. The amount of time stopped in traffic and driving in the city really kills the average.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-30-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 08:27 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
A simple plot of time vs avg tank mpg quickly tells the whole story. A lot easier and quicker than trying to dicepher individual data.
The app does plot many charts, makes predictions(!), shows you cost of ownership, service reminders, etc.
I only enter date, odometer mileage and number of gallons of gas I bought, each time I refuel. Here's what it looks like for my LS430:
Great MPG-forumrunner_20140430_082557.png

And from my former ES300, for comparison:
Great MPG-screenshot_2014-04-30-08-28-51.png

Last edited by Natey2; 04-30-14 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Add ES300 mpg chart for comparison
Old 04-30-14, 08:41 AM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to buy an LS in the near future (asap) and this is certainly good news. I get 18-19mpg in my 99 ES so this will be a nice change.
Old 04-30-14, 10:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Mine will do 25 - 29 mpg all day long on the highway depending on how I drive. If you kind of hypermile the 430, lol, she can get about 31. On the highway of course. Amazing car for long trips.

This is interesting:

Pulse and Glide

Pulse and Glide(PnG) is also known as Burn and coast. This method consists of rapid acceleration to a given speed (the "burn" or "pulse"), followed by a period of coasting down to a lower speed, at which point the burn-coast sequence is repeated.[30] Coasting is most efficient when the engine is not running, although some gains can be realized with the engine on (to maintain power to brakes, steering and ancillaries) and the vehicle in neutral, or even with the vehicle remaining in gear.[citation needed] Most modern petrol vehicles cut off the fuel supply completely when coasting (over-running) in gear, although the moving engine adds considerable frictional drag and speed is lost more quickly than with the engine declutched from the drivetrain.

Some hybrid vehicles are well-suited to performing the burn and coast. In a series-parallel hybrid (see Hybrid vehicle drivetrain), the internal combustion engine and charging system can be shut off for the glide by simply manipulating the accelerator. However based on simulation, more gains in economy are obtained in non-hybrid vehicles.[30]
Causes of pulse-and-glide energy saving

Much of the time, automobile engines operate at only a fraction of their maximal efficiency, resulting in lower fuel economy (or what is the same thing, higher specific fuel consumption (SFC)).[31] Charts that show the SFC for every feasible combination of torque (or Brake Mean Effective Pressure) and RPM are called Brake specific fuel consumption maps. Using such a map, one can find the efficiency of the engine at various rpms, torques, etc.

During the pulse (acceleration) phase of pulse and glide, the efficiency is near maximal due to the high torque and much of this energy is stored as kinetic energy of the moving vehicle. This efficiently-obtained kinetic energy is then used in the glide phase to overcome rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. In other words, going between periods of very efficient acceleration and gliding gives an overall efficiency that is usually significantly higher than just cruising at a constant speed. Computer calculations have predicted that in rare cases (at low speeds where the torque required for cruising at steady speed is low) it's possible to double (or even triple) fuel economy.[30]

These two- or three-fold improvements in fuel economy are possible only at city driving speeds of say 25 or 35 miles/hour. This is because cruising (steady speed) at such low speeds is very inefficient since the torque needed is so low that the efficiency read on a BSFC map is very poor. Pulse and glide significantly improves this. Unfortunately, city driving often involves many stops at signals and stop signs which were absent in the computer simulation which showed such multiple fold improvements. In other words, in the real world one is unlikely to see fuel efficiency double or triple. Such a failure is due to signals, stop signs, and considerations for other traffic; all of these factors interfering with the pulse and glide technique. But improvements in fuel economy of 20% or so are still feasible.[30][32]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-efficient_driving

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-30-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 05:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Just an update. Excellent mileage. I'm really happy with how she is doing. Like wine. Getting better with age.

Drove 35 miles from gas station to my home:

Highway average:

Tank average that includes 3 miles from the gas station to my on ramp with multiple red lights:

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-26-15 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:04 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Average speed for the highway miles? Round trips are the only way to fairly evaluate mpg - equalizes elevation changes and perhaps wind factor.
Old 06-26-15, 07:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Next good round trip I will measure it this way. I find I get the better mileage between 70 - 75 mph. It seems to drop a little at between 55 - 65 mph. I don't tend to drive long trips. I usually fly. Right around 2k rpms is ideal efficiency in my experience.

Also, very little wind tonight. I don't think this played a factor. Well, at least no headwind to reduce my mileage.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-26-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 01:32 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Tom,

So I did take a trip from Atlanta to Macon, GA. 82 miles each way this weekend. My highway average from onramp to exit was 29.2 going down and 29.8 coming back. 70 mph was my average as this seems to give me the best mileage I can get out of her.

Quick Reply: Great MPG