LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just bought an UL LS430 and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 08:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
When I click on 87139-YZZ01 it gives me two options cabin filter and rear cabin filter , do I need both of these ? Are there any other cabin filters I need or just two ?
The other filters in the 04-06 UL are:

• Front seat filter P/N: 88921-50010 - These can be found under the front of each seat. They are a pleated replaceable filter. The list price is $30 each.

• Rear seat filters P/N: 88923-50010 - These can be found under the seat near the door. You must move the seat in the foremost position to be able to find and access them.

• Rear door sill filter P/N: 88922-50010 - These filters are located on the back side of the louvered vents on each side of the rear door entrance.
Old 03-21-14, 11:00 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The other filters in the 04-06 UL are:

• Front seat filter P/N: 88921-50010 - These can be found under the front of each seat. They are a pleated replaceable filter. The list price is $30 each.

• Rear seat filters P/N: 88923-50010 - These can be found under the seat near the door. You must move the seat in the foremost position to be able to find and access them.

• Rear door sill filter P/N: 88922-50010 - These filters are located on the back side of the louvered vents on each side of the rear door entrance.
Ok so just to clarify I do infact need both of the filters i previously mentioned ? How essential are all of these other filters to get right now if I am working on the odor inside the car ?
Old 03-21-14, 02:43 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The seat filters are quite small, doubt they would trap/hold much smoke stink. If it was my car, I'd change them.
Old 03-21-14, 03:05 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I heard that some people are able to clean the seat filters and reuse them...
Old 03-21-14, 03:21 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

The only seat filters I was clean would be the tiny door sill filters. They mostly keep debris out of the A/C air inlet. The other filters should be treated like any other filter. If you wash your engine and cabin filters and reuse them, then feel free to wash and reuse the remaining seat filters.
Old 05-30-14, 12:44 PM
Snoman
Driver School Candidate

Glad to see most of your issues were answered.....Have had a few on my '01 Ultra as well along the way (bought it new).

FYI, the difference in costs for the rear air filter is likely similar to the front cabin filter; you can buy just the filter element, or the filter element and housing together. The filter housing is probably the reason for the difference in prices quoted: just buy the element and replace it.

For the high-mount (3rd) brake light, it's an easy fix. Grab the housing on top of the rear deck, slide it to your left until it clicks, then gently lift it away from the deck. Grab the lamp housing at the end of the connecting wires, turn it counterclockwise about a quarter turn to free it from the lens housing. Pull the lamp out of the base, and replace it with a #7440 bulb, & reverse the above steps. Takes about 5 minutes.

BTW, if your steering column tilt motor is out, the car does not automatically telescope out the wheel, you will do it manually. When the tilt motor is replaced, the auto-telescope feature will resume. Motors for the '10 are about $300 at Sewell including shipping with your discount, and independent shop labor is usually around $150. Book claims 2.7 hours labor, but a good mech. can do it in about an hour and a half, if he knows the system.

Hope this is of help.

Last edited by Snoman; 05-30-14 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-30-14, 01:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Yeah, I should of said replace not clean. I meant put in clean filters. I don't clean any of mine... Anyway, they are pretty cheap. The seat and sill get from the dealer and you can get oem denso front cabin filter cheaper on amazon. I also run a beck arnly in the back instead of oem. The price difference is substantial. OEM rear filters are really a rip off. $160 vs $34
Old 05-31-14, 01:35 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

I have put a little over 2 grand into this car since buying it but I am still not happy with it. Now the motor that drives the rear windshield shade has died and the fabric has started to come down in one corner. I have had the car detailed by a pro but some hazing started coming back within a few weeks. I compounded and waxed those areas myself and again the hazing came back once again.

If I could get the hazed areas looking right then I would be happy with the car. The areas affected the most are the roof, hood and trunk lid. The sides of the car look fine tho, just typical scratches. I have realized that the clearcoat is dead on these areas and re-painting is probably the only real option. I will never ever buy a car in the rain again , lesson learned ! In my defense tho, I drove about 4 hours to get this car and did not know it was raining where I was going. Had the car been dry I would have either gotten the price much lower or just walked away.

The car is running well tho and I recently got 30.5 miles per gallon on a 60 mile highway trip doing 70 in the right lane the whole way. Pretty amazing gas mileage for a v8 sedan ! I should mention i had my fiancee with me and the A/C was on the entire trip. As for the interior smell, I did rent an ozone generator and it got rid of the smoke smell for a little over a month and then it came back. It's not that bad tho and does not bother me. I also had the automatic telescoping steering wheel feature disabled at the dealer. So now the wheel stays where I left it , best 30 bux i have spent on a car ever. For now I will live with the tilt steering wheel not working since it's comfortable where it is. I can assure you the next time I buy an LS430 , I will scrutinize every little thing on it before I make an offer. Next for me will be an 04-06 Custom luxury package Flint Mica on black or saddle interior.
Old 05-31-14, 02:27 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this is a first. I'm hearing regrets from someone that found an under 30,000 mile LS430.
I think you need to talk to a few very clever detail and body shops. You might be able to carefully sand the Clear Coat with some 1000 or 1500 paper and then respray just the Clear Coat.
If you had found this car as totally mint with under 30K miles on it - you would have paid a lot more than $2K or even $3K more than you paid. Maybe that's a perspective that will help....
Old 05-31-14, 02:32 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

the car had around 119k miles not 30k miles. As of right now I have just over ten grand into it
Old 06-03-14, 04:03 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
the car had around 119k miles not 30k miles. As of right now I have just over ten grand into it
Something about low mileage cars. They tend to be less reliable than comparable higher mileage cars. At least that's what it seems like to me.
Old 06-03-14, 06:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe, but look at the Camrys from the body style change 96, 97 that have been taken care of with 200+k on em and brakes and tires are it, maybe a couple belts. You can maybe say that about an Accord, the LS is an overengineered Camry in my experiences.

How have the LS400's aged?
Old 06-04-14, 04:42 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Maybe, but look at the Camrys from the body style change 96, 97 that have been taken care of with 200+k on em and brakes and tires are it, maybe a couple belts. You can maybe say that about an Accord, the LS is an overengineered Camry in my experiences.

How have the LS400's aged?
"over engineering" doesn't determine reliability. The quality of engineering does. The LS is the most reliable car ever. Lw mileage cars of most any brand tend to have more problems than comparable higher mileage ones. It seems that generally speaking, cars do better when they are actually used, not sitting around, collecting dust, and dry rotting.
Old 06-04-14, 06:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I agree that the LS series offers refinement and reliability that truly sets a high bar. Cost of ownership is not great though. The cost is going down as many wise up to dealer service dept. rip offs and part prices go down. Personally, I have only done a tune up, some suspension bushing work, alignment, new windshield due to pitting, and a few little other things. Nothing critical and this has cost me about $1,200 by sourcing the OEM parts myself and just paying for labor.
Old 06-04-14, 07:08 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I agree that the LS series offers refinement and reliability that truly sets a high bar. Cost of ownership is not great though. The cost is going down as many wise up to dealer service dept. rip offs and part prices go down. Personally, I have only done a tune up, some suspension bushing work, alignment, new windshield due to pitting, and a few little other things. Nothing critical and this has cost me about $1,200 by sourcing the OEM parts myself and just paying for labor.
How many miles? And your air suspension has never been replaced?

Quick Reply: Just bought an UL LS430 and have questions