LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying wheels soon and have tire size questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 01:09 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying wheels soon and have tire size questions

Let me start out by saying I am not planning on doing anything that is quite considered "VIP" This will be a modest setup, nothing too wild. I want to buy wheels asap ,and might end up with some Vossens with a 10.5 inch rear ET42 . Gonna run on my factory air suspension for now using the data system controller and do not wanna go any lower then I need to in order to make the gap mostly vanish.

I would also like to keep my fenders as close to stock as possible. So my question is can I get away with a 275/30/20 in the back ? A 265/30/20 was suggested to me but I am a lil concerned about just not having any sidewall back there for the sake of safety and dinging up my wheels the least possible. I really am not trying to have super stretched tires.

And for the front on a 9 inch ET35 wheel how would a 225/30/20 work ? Can I go any wider or taller ? Keep in mind the car will never be slammed, not while I'm driving at least.

The roads around here are average at best and I have a gravel driveway , for now at least till I move in a few months. Then I will have a paved driveway and a garage. But for now I need to keep this setup civilized Keep in mind that i am a realtor, I am using this car to meet with clients and show clients residential real estate for sale so it cannot look too gangsta. Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by UGKkllr; 03-28-14 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 02:16 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

275/30 or 265/20? Better get your clients some of those inflatable donut seat cushions to sit on : )
Old 03-28-14, 02:50 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

clients do not usually ride along, those days are gone. These days most people want to meet you there in their own car. The internet has changed things a bit
Old 03-28-14, 02:51 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

So i guess what I was getting at is, i do not wanna pull up looking like a thug or drug dealer
Old 03-28-14, 06:01 PM
MrShirls
Driver School Candidate

keep it as stock as possible... depending on your clientele anything other than what they have seen every other time they have looked at an LS they will make an impression either good or bad based on your customization.
Old 03-28-14, 08:12 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
clients do not usually ride along, those days are gone. These days most people want to meet you there in their own car. The internet has changed things a bit
Drat - I am such a geezer. Last bought a house 8 years ago and I think the agent drove us around but also too old to remember if they did or not : O

Even if my real estate agent pulled up in full out LS430 Donk-mobile I would not care at all, as long as I did not have ride around in it. I say different strokes for different folks...go for it.
Old 03-29-14, 05:53 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrShirls
keep it as stock as possible... depending on your clientele anything other than what they have seen every other time they have looked at an LS they will make an impression either good or bad based on your customization.
Which is why I am starting to consider a set of mesh style wheels as they blend in pretty well and do not draw too much attention.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Drat - I am such a geezer. Last bought a house 8 years ago and I think the agent drove us around but also too old to remember if they did or not : O

Even if my real estate agent pulled up in full out LS430 Donk-mobile I would not care at all, as long as I did not have ride around in it. I say different strokes for different folks...go for it.
There is actually an agent around here who has a "shocker" sticker on his bumper . I'm not talking bout electricity either
Old 03-29-14, 10:18 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

I'm currently running a 20x9.5 +25 and 20x10.5 +29 with 245/35 and 275/30 tires. I did have to roll my fronts and shave the rears, but they fit nicely and I don't rub except for the fender liner. My car is lowered just above the tire on Fortune Auto coilovers though, as I ditched my factory air a while ago. I live out in Hawaii and our roads are some of the worst out there and for me, it's still fairly comfortable. But understand that I was expecting a firmer ride and noticeably more road feel because of my set up. I think it all depends on what is acceptable to you and what you're used to. Being that you're still on factory air, the ride should still be acceptable if you were to go with the above tire sizes. I mean when I hit bumps in my wife's Highlander with those huge tires, I still can feel it......granted, not as much as in my LS, but still. I guess what I'm saying is there is a difference between stock tire sizes and low profile, but for me the ride difference doesn't out weigh the looks that you obtain.
Old 03-29-14, 10:54 AM
Jabberwock

One thing to note is that if you increase size of wheels and tires watch the weight you are adding. If possible buy lightest weight wheels and tires you can when increasing sizes. Your brakes and suspension will thank you. Adding additional un-sprung weight (wheels, tires, suspension parts) to a car does bad things to its handling, ride and braking.
Old 03-29-14, 11:09 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
One thing to note is that if you increase size of wheels and tires watch the weight you are adding. If possible buy lightest weight wheels and tires you can when increasing sizes. Your brakes and suspension will thank you. Adding additional un-sprung weight (wheels, tires, suspension parts) to a car does bad things to its handling, ride and braking.
I was thinking bout that this morning while looking at wheel alternatives since Vossen doesnt have any of the 3 wheels I want in stock right now. Was looking at Vertini wheels since they make a wheel that looks just like the Vossen 082 . Come to find out those wheels are made in Taiwan and are supposed to be extremely heavy, not to mention they say nothing on their website about a warranty of any kind. I know Vossen does 5 years tho.

I am at the point where I am probably gonna settle for a set of wheels that are not exactly what I want and upgrade later on. I might even get 19's instead of 20's for now also. Just to get by for now I might settle on some MRR GT1's since they are fairly light, very affordable, easy to get and they fit right.