LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 09:51 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
When I first test drove the car I didn't turn on the radio because I wanted to hear what the car was saying to me, as it turns out, not much. When I got back from the test ride I did turn on the radio and that's when I noticed the bad speaker in the front drivers door. The subwoofer defect wasn't apparent until some real bass heavy songs popped up. Then it sounded like the car was falling apart.

I've got both speakers repaired now and I think the car sounds very good right now when playing CD's. AM performance kind of blows and I haven't listened to enough FM yet to form an opinion. IMHO, I think the sound quality of my 2004 Acura TL was much better than what I'm hearing out of this car. Playing the demo DVD audio disk that Acura gave you for the first time was truly mind blowing.

I'll probably pull the remaining speakers from the other doors and replace the foam in those even if they haven't separated yet. The process isn't that difficult and they will likely tear sooner than later...
With no sub woofer, did a moderate volume heavy metal test (under 40) to test the other speakers. All the speakers do work but high end sound was "buzzy". Like an AM radio station. Middle range was ok. Second test was acoustic guitar (to 40). Perfect. It was like sitting in the same room. FM quality sounds like a transistor radio.

Today, the totally rebuilt sub woofer (foam, cone, coil) gets installed. Should be interesting. If it's good, may do the total rebuild for doors front and rear. Amp is new which helps. It's old (and fragile) system but goal is to get B/B+ sound w/o the headache and cost of total replacement (I have NAV). Max volume 40. I listened to a ML (in a Lex) years ago. It was crystal clear concert hall impressive.
Old 11-18-16, 02:19 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Yeah! Rebuilt subwoofer works great. Total cost (remove, rebuild sub woof, replace) was 250. I can hear all the speakers. Clear and they sound good. Good stereo finally. I'll have to do the "official" test and play some Dire Straits!

Lexus dealer highly recommended this shop and they've done many repairs for the dealer. The stereo shop owner said they removed the rear seats for years but cutting the speaker out works as well. Apparently the opening can be trimmed enough that the sub woofer can be removed from the top. Same stock mounting still used for reinstall. He had me listen to the system after work was complete to make sure I liked it. Also Infinity brand speakers are 2 ohm so that's a possible replace/upgrade.
Old 11-18-16, 02:24 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Oh yeah, had the rear doors and back window tinted (20% dark smoke). Visibility is still good. It also dressed the car up a little. Looks nice. If you live anyplace that gets hot, highly recommend tinting. Not the dark black limo thing unless that's the look you're trying to get. I'm going to do the front doors (10% light smoke) soon. Technically illegal in CA but almost impossible to see it unless ya get pulled over.
Old 11-18-16, 03:24 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Changed oil with Royal Purple 5w30 today and tried the oversized Royal Purple 20-400 filter for the first time instead of the Motorcraft fl400s I used in the past.
Old 11-18-16, 03:33 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scootymad
I took my LS down to the local dragstrip for a quick blast. Slapped some FD RX7 wheels on with some dirty old Michelins (there's about a thick black Mediterranean one between the wheel and the caliper), and proceeded to hose them off the best way possible. For a big heavy old pig, it sure moves out quite well, had a best of 15.1 ET at 93mph with no-prep, rain and cold weather

That's very cool you took the car to the track lol. What was your 60 foot time? With that mph car should be good for some 14 sec passes.
Old 11-20-16, 02:48 AM
jbonez89
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default work done

changed my diff fluid with gear oil mobil one sythetic 75w90 i believe, very thick and will probably last the life of the car. had my mechanic at honda change my power steering for a chipotle burrito, i changed oil with mobil 1 synthetic, changed engine and cabin air filter, and lastly 4 plugs on drivers side. Anyone know what you need to take off to do the 4 plugs on passenger side??? it looks like you need to take out the battery and the intake. but id rather get a straight answer before tackllng the last 4 plugs. I went with the bosch as they were the same price as NGK.
Old 11-20-16, 04:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
Changed oil with Royal Purple 5w30 today and tried the oversized Royal Purple 20-400 filter for the first time instead of the Motorcraft fl400s I used in the past.
I've been a WIX fan ever since Nissan moved production to China (it's irrational I know, there are some very expensive Infinitis using the filter), so I used a WIX 51348XP. Actually due to shipping, got 7 of them BEFORE I picked up the LS! Amazon sells for $12.55 so this is a premium synthetic filter, but $6.97 ea at rockauto. Suprised how cheap Toyota oil filters are, I think $4?

Not so choosy on oil so I used the Mobil 1 I had in the garage 5W30. I just make sure it meets the designation....BMW is picky and Mobil 1 lost the LL-01 designation (picky in that you better pay them if you want approval)
Old 11-20-16, 04:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I've been a WIX fan ever since Nissan moved production to China (it's irrational I know, there are some very expensive Infinitis using the filter), so I used a WIX 51348XP. Actually due to shipping (meaning I'm already paying $11.98 for shipping on hood struts, other filters etc., keep adding oil filters until that goes up), got 7 of them BEFORE I picked up the LS! Amazon sells for $12.55 so this is a premium synthetic filter, but $6.97 ea at rockauto. Suprised how cheap Toyota oil filters are, I think $4?

Not so choosy on oil so I used the Mobil 1 I had in the garage 5W30. I just make sure it meets the designation....BMW is picky and Mobil 1 lost the LL-01 designation (picky in that you better pay them if you want approval)

edit: tip for rockauto, always add stuff to the basket you know you need, so what you want is already $11.98 to ship, add oil filters until the $11.98 changes/goes up, then back off by one. Then you really got free shipping on the filters. Also, always use a coupon. So in my above case, $11.98 shipping, $9.44 discount, so shipping was negligible. And the % off they are compared to amazon should put Jeff Bezos to shame. Prime this!

edit2: I was checking this order and I had ordered H8 bulbs for my 335i, it lights up the angel eyes on a '07, pre led. Walmart does not carry and auto stores wanted like $13?? Rock Auto was $5.60! So I got 4. That was a ***** to put in, a human hand cannot fit there and I dropped the bulb into the housing. Had to fish it out and I sliced my left knuckle open, blood all over the light housing. What a job....but I got er did da**!

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-20-16 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 05:00 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Mobil 1 filter and oil for me. As long as they have the $15 coupon, it's worth it.

Completed oil change, cleaned the interior a bit. Realized I need to replace a broken mat retaining clip....aaaah dealer...
Old 11-20-16, 11:29 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
...Had to fish it out and I sliced my left knuckle open, blood all over the light housing. What a job....but I got er did da**!
BTDT, the job is not finished unless you have some blood invested in it...
Old 11-20-16, 02:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Mobil 1 filter and oil for me. As long as they have the $15 coupon, it's worth it.

Completed oil change, cleaned the interior a bit. Realized I need to replace a broken mat retaining clip....aaaah dealer...
Just bought Pennzoil Platinum today for my wife's car, doing it after the holiday...I think it has a $10 rebate. I did Mobil 1 earlier in the year and the rebate came lightning fast uploaded online, $12 x 2 I think.

All I did with the LS today was to move it out of the way so I could clay bar and wax my wife's car. First time using the clay bar, not bad. I think the LS is a lot smoother and more powerful now that the cupholder is new, or maybe it's just in my mind...
Old 11-20-16, 02:55 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gronemus
BTDT, the job is not finished unless you have some blood invested in it...
That was frustrating, and I used a few choice words when the lamp dropped in....seriously, was not 100% sure I could get it out.....

The whole issue (and maybe lesson learned) was since you cannot fit your hand in, but you can try to get the fingers in, IT IS CRUCIAL TO KNOW AT WHAT POINT THE BULB SCREWS OUT. That is the point you must find to screw the new one in. I mean nothing like trying for 30 solid minutes to screw a bulb in, because one cannot tell where to start it. That's when I decided to take the old one for practice (meaning don't worry about touching it), and dropped it....
Old 11-20-16, 03:39 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Just bought Pennzoil Platinum today for my wife's car, doing it after the holiday...I think it has a $10 rebate. I did Mobil 1 earlier in the year and the rebate came lightning fast uploaded online, $12 x 2 I think.

All I did with the LS today was to move it out of the way so I could clay bar and wax my wife's car. First time using the clay bar, not bad. I think the LS is a lot smoother and more powerful now that the cupholder is new, or maybe it's just in my mind...
Hmmm - I should check my inventory and replace with Pennzoil since I cannot qualify for more Mobil 1 jugs this year.

Yeah - I clay bar'ed this summer. What a nice smooth finish! Finished with a wax and a sealant to ensure no winter damage since this car is primarily my winter car.
Old 11-20-16, 03:42 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

That was frustrating, and I used a few choice words when the lamp dropped in....seriously, was not 100% sure I could get it out.....

The whole issue (and maybe lesson learned) was since you cannot fit your hand in, but you can try to get the fingers in, IT IS CRUCIAL TO KNOW AT WHAT POINT THE BULB SCREWS OUT. That is the point you must find to screw the new one in. I mean nothing like trying for 30 solid minutes to screw a bulb in, because one cannot tell where to start it. That's when I decided to take the old one for practice (meaning don't worry about touching it), and dropped it....
Haha. I keep a swear jar around just in case. That and a few band-aids. Love the old commuter Civic we have - what a nice easy engine bay to work in. Everything is simple and accessible.
Old 11-20-16, 09:22 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's very cool you took the car to the track lol. What was your 60 foot time? With that mph car should be good for some 14 sec passes.

Not sure on the 60 foot time as the time slips were very basic, just a 1/4 mile time and a trap speed. But yes, there is definitely a 14 in it. I raced my girlfriend as well and her trap speeds were just a couple mph down on mine but nearly a full second off my ET, but she has a Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 with a 2.5L TT V6, so her car has the good old Evo glass transfer case, which means there will be no launching that beast hard. With a good launch it should be a 14 second car. Will be heading to the night drags this friday so I'll be able to get some more detailed times

Also changed the oil and filter on the LS. It looked like it was hanging out for a change, used a Ryco brand filter which looks horrendously undersized for the engine, and Repco-brand 5W-30 dinosaur squeezings (which is supposedly made by Penrite). Added some lucas oil stabiliser to give it a little extra thickness on account of its mileage and that I have a rocker cover gasket leak (whoops). Ditched the undertray to try and get some cooler air up underneath, readjusted the shifter linkage slightly and put the oem wheels back on.

Last edited by Scootymad; 11-20-16 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?