LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 09:18 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

When I bought my LS a year ago, it felt like the front rotors were slightly warped. Nothing terrible, just an occasional judder. I didn't think anything of it until lately, so I pulled the trigger on Raybestos Pads and Rotors from RockAuto as they were on clearance, and got to work with this thread . Much to my dismay, whoever did the brakes previous to me owning it, forgot to put the small clips in that hold the hardware pin in place, and both the front pads were hung over the lips of the rotors about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch I'm lucky the hardware never failed, and caused a more serious issue. The brakes now feel great, and should last quite awhile.

While I was under the car, I also started the process of the "long flush", cycling out the transmission fluid 3qts or so at a time, over the span of the next 3 fluid changes. I bought the Toyota / Lexus SST that is used as a jumper harness to get the dash into "fluid temp check mode", and was able to get it started right away. Fluid that came out was pretty dark, and appeared to be a quart low, so this was definitely needed. Looking forward to the next change to see what color comes out next!
Old 04-09-20, 07:07 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This was actually done back in March, but I finally had my front bumper replaced! The passenger side was a raccoon that cracked it and finally broke off on the highway, driverside was my neighbor who backed out and crunched the bumper and fender. Its a little hard to notice but from the top left photo the license plate area has scraps from when my dad was driving and stepped too far out and someone sideswiped him.
The shop was able to flex the fender back and I ordered a replacement bumper thanks to my service department at the dealership I work at.

Thanks to Eddie and his crew at Columbia Auto Collision Center in Columbia Md, they did an awesome job!

Last edited by BTC89LS400; 04-09-20 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JffGRY706 (04-09-20)
Old 04-10-20, 06:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC89LS400
This was actually done back in March, but I finally had my front bumper replaced! The passenger side was a raccoon that cracked it and finally broke off on the highway, driverside was my neighbor who backed out and crunched the bumper and fender. Its a little hard to notice but from the top left photo the license plate area has scraps from when my dad was driving and stepped too far out and someone sideswiped him.
The shop was able to flex the fender back and I ordered a replacement bumper thanks to my service department at the dealership I work at.

Thanks to Eddie and his crew at Columbia Auto Collision Center in Columbia Md, they did an awesome job!
It would be interesting testing comp insurance, as the racoon would be covered by it, but not the neighbor. Would they cover 1/2 the bumper (wouldn't seem so)? Or just cover it all.....

I ran over a shovel head with my BMW and thank goodness didn't puncture say an oil cooler line etc. I woulda thought that's comp but no, that's collision.
Old 04-10-20, 07:07 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 757 Likes on 535 Posts

A 2001-2003 new OEM bumper cover is still available? I really need to get a new one for my 06 if that's the case.

Repairs look great!
BTC89LS400 (04-14-21)
Old 04-12-20, 02:58 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi all , made a bracket up and installed a distribution block with ANL fuse and volt readout

for my monoblock amp .
I will cut the cover over the digital readout window so you can read it .
Will be nice to have battery volts and alternator output .
Old 04-12-20, 08:03 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Pulled apart the back interior of the car, rear door panels, upper and lower seat cushions, rear deck lid and side trim. Put down some sound deadening material, now to pull front out passenger seat and center console to run all my wiring cleanly to the trunk.
Old 04-12-20, 10:40 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmmm Mr Legend , I will be running my cables down each side .
RCA's down the right hand side [ all 7 of them ] and 4 gauge copper amp feed down the left hand side with the amp trigger wire as in Aus that's the side the battery is on.
Over the years I've found more space and less hassle going down the side compared to down the centre plus you automatically separate power and sound .
Old 04-13-20, 03:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Since my wife's car was sitting for 30 days, moved the LS430 out of the way, drove her car for about 10 min., made sure I went down a steep hill to try to clear the rust off of the rotors. Hers started right up, but it would be interesting to know, does a 10 min. drive actually discharge the battery more, than if left alone? Don't know why but I'm hesitant to throw the tender on it as it has remote terminals (so does the BMW i.e. so what). I do know that one cannot load test the battery remotely but I'm just being superstitious, maybe I should put both the LS and her car on battery tenders one time.
Old 04-13-20, 07:49 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Groot430
Hmmm Mr Legend , I will be running my cables down each side .
RCA's down the right hand side [ all 7 of them ] and 4 gauge copper amp feed down the left hand side with the amp trigger wire as in Aus that's the side the battery is on.
Over the years I've found more space and less hassle going down the side compared to down the centre plus you automatically separate power and sound .
I installed a Pioneer unit some time ago and briefly ran a set of RCA's and reverse camera wiring under the center console, but don' like how it's run so I plan on re-running the wires. Like you mentioned, the power will be run down one side and the RCA's and speaker wires down the other to avoid noise.
Old 04-19-20, 07:25 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

What a fun time taking the entire center console out, glad I found PDF's to help with the process. I reran some wires down the side of the transmission tunnel, as well as my 1/0 power wire from the battery to the back. Now I need to finish installing my speakers, figure out how to get the wiring from the doors into the car cleanly. Also, added a piece under my Pioneer head uint for easy connections. It could be a little cleaner, but wanted to get my car back together enough so I could drive safely.

Old 04-25-20, 09:12 PM
westpat
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

02Legend, I need that mod. Life would be so much better with a stack of USB ports. I still have stock radio, with a bluetooth FM broadcaster.

Today I washed and detailed the outside of the LS430 with the help of my grandson. It was good bonding time! Yesterday we went for a drive and he showed all the people we saw how the soft-close doors work.
Old 04-26-20, 11:05 AM
eterdharma
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake calipers

Got bored at home with the pandemic and had a few nice days in Upstate New York.. decides to clean up the calipers and make them look legit.

Front

Front with wheel on.. the car is jacked up on the other side and is why the fender is not running the wheel well.

Rear
Old 04-26-20, 11:27 AM
Amaterasu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gave Celsior a new voicebox.

I replaced my mufflers and took out the last cat for a straight pipe a pair of Drift Dialects mufflers.

Bsavage (06-08-20)
Old 04-26-20, 03:28 PM
westpat
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eterdharma
Got bored at home with the pandemic and had a few nice days in Upstate New York.. decides to clean up the calipers and make them look legit.

Front

Front with wheel on.. the car is jacked up on the other side and is why the fender is not running the wheel well.

Rear
Are those 19s? What model are they off of, they look great!!!
Amaterasu1 (04-26-20)
Old 04-26-20, 03:52 PM
eterdharma
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 19’s

Yup they are 19’s. Aftermarket though.

Roderick RW3

Setup is below

Front: 8.5 wide with 2 inch lip and 35 offset, wrapped on 235/35 tires

Rear: 9.5 wide with 3 inch lip and 45 offset. Wrapped on 245/35 tires.

my suspension is KYB’s with RSR Down (1.5) inch dropping springs.

no spacers on the wheels, no rolled fenders, nothing but tuner lugs and straight bolt up. Cleared the big brake calipers without any issues.

pictures of setup on car is below...

Amaterasu1 (04-26-20)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?