LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 10:13 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I took a look at the oil catch can today after 163 miles and I’m kind of happy it’s doing it’s job, all of that would have went back into my intake manifold to be burned off again I now understand why the throttle body and the insides get all nasty.

Old 06-13-20, 11:02 AM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bsavage
swapped out my hood and trunk lift supports feels so good not having to use vice grips to keep my hood up.
hood https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
trunk https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What made you change the trunk supports? Reason I ask in mine is a bit heavy when lifting open the trunk but it has been like that since I bought the car 3 years ago, so not sure if it's normal being I don't have another LS to compare it to.
Old 06-13-20, 11:16 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
What made you change the trunk supports? Reason I ask in mine is a bit heavy when lifting open the trunk but it has been like that since I bought the car 3 years ago, so not sure if it's normal being I don't have another LS to compare it to.
I changed the trunk because it was heavy to lift and I was tired of my trunk slamming shut because some one didn’t know it was worn out, if you do swap them out make sure you tighten the trunk brackets 2 bolts per side mine was not tight
Old 06-13-20, 12:45 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Yesterday I cleaned all my Floor mats in the car with this handy spray/scrub/vacuum all in one that I borrowed from my friend it did a very dirty job

Last edited by Bsavage; 06-13-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 01:19 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
For what it is worth, mine was also heavy when I bought it. And, another LS430 I drove was the same. It also closed (slammed shut) on its own if i did not guide it closed. Replaced out the old ones with A-Premium Tailgate Rear Trunk Lift Supports Shock Struts found on Amazon for $16 a pair and now I know why the LS430 trunk has a handle to close the trunk.

Mine needed to be replaced likely long before they were.

This video shows it fairly simple to do yourself:
The following users liked this post:
Bsavage (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 04:42 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Originally Posted by Bsavage
I changed the trunk because it was heavy to lift and I was tired of my trunk slamming shut because some one didn’t know it was worn out, if you do swap them out make sure you tighten the trunk brackets 2 bolts per side mine was not tight
I see. I will definitely check my brackets. Thanks for the FYI

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
For what it is worth, mine was also heavy when I bought it. And, another LS430 I drove was the same. It also closed (slammed shut) on its own if i did not guide it closed. Replaced out the old ones with A-Premium Tailgate Rear Trunk Lift Supports Shock Struts found on Amazon for $16 a pair and now I know why the LS430 trunk has a handle to close the trunk.

My trunk definitely does not sound like that when lifted, so I can assume my struts are dead. I have to lower it down so it doesn't slam when closing, and I have easy close trunk and wouldn't want to hurt the lock in any way. This video really confirms I need to replace them. Thanks for sharing.

Mine needed to be replaced likely long before they were.

This video shows it fairly simple to do yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApyViFO2P9E
Old 06-16-20, 01:29 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

I bought these jaguar tables on ebay today lol, im going to attempt to resurface them and install or install first and resurface it after
Old 06-16-20, 01:57 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a set of Jaguar tables and would be interested in how you install them. Please keep us informed as to the process.
The following users liked this post:
Bsavage (06-16-20)
Old 06-17-20, 11:12 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Re-bled the brake system today with the method of pushing fluid down from the reservoir. Small improvement over the vacuum method since air wasn't being pulled through the bleed fitting anymore. Also threw 303 on all the door seals and waxed the edges of the body where the seals sit as it was really creaking before. Was quite annoying as it would creak with the slightest bit of flex in the chassis. It's almost silent now.

Cleaned it up a little and went for a nice drive out to the coast and brought my camera with me. Every time I take this thing through backroads, I'm reminded that I want coilovers. The brake dive and roll just doesn't feel quite right. Reading through forums and reviews, I'll probably grab a set of Fortune 500's with swifts or their Muller MSC 1-way in 13k/11k sometime around black friday or when promos start popping up.

What did you do to your LS430 today?-v6lqrxd.jpg

What did you do to your LS430 today?-d2alrun.jpg
Old 06-18-20, 04:11 AM
94fps
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Havent posted since i bought my LS. But since ive been stuck at home and I beaded a tire i decided to give some TLC.

Some minor things over the passed week.

Muffler delete with some cheap chrome tips.

Cleared up my foggy yellow headlights.

Some polishing on the chrome trimming.

New tires because of a beaded tire.

Adjusted my coilovers to go down an inch.

Polished my lips on my Walds.

Painted my calipers gold. (Waiting for a white claw sponsor too)

sorry for the long post, but these were all long overdue lol.

Next im trying to get some jaguar picnic tables and retrofit them in.
The following 2 users liked this post by 94fps:
Bsavage (06-18-20), WILLYumD (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 11:30 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Which gold caliper paint is that?
Old 06-18-20, 11:50 AM
94fps
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i used a base coat of white high heat spray (vht header paint), second coat with gold duplicolor wheel paint because i couldnt find gold caliper paid, then a clear with vht caliper paint. Hoping the paint holds up with my base layer.

Originally Posted by Ellesse
Which gold caliper paint is that?
Old 06-18-20, 12:43 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Those Wald duchatelets are super clean. Would've been my preferred option for wheels if I didn't get my carlssons.

Did you do any fender work to get them to fit? Thinking about doing a very minor roll to the rears and was wondering if it's simply better to shave due to the fender liner eyelets. Not as much of a fan of the latter since the fender lip is basically holding the rear quarters together.
Old 06-18-20, 04:18 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 94fps
i used a base coat of white high heat spray (vht header paint), second coat with gold duplicolor wheel paint because i couldnt find gold caliper paid, then a clear with vht caliper paint. Hoping the paint holds up with my base layer.
Will brake cleaner destroy the paint?
Old 06-18-20, 07:11 PM
LexusLSs
10th Gear

Hi, I am new to the clublexus. Just wondering, do LS430s have a certain kind of coating on the windows that makes window-tinting job extremely difficult? The cost to tint windows on my LS430 is quoted for $100 more than one on my LS460. Despite being quoted more for the job done on the older LS, the window tint shop will not offer a lifetime warranty because of the difficulty to install and the coating on the factory windows that causes the tinting film hard to stick. The shop is recommended by my service advisor at the Lexus dealer. Should I look elsewhere? Thank you.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?