LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 08:52 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tle05
Did you do all three arms from Figs Engineerings? I am also doing coilovers on mine soon and been researching if I need all three arms. I'm planning on lowering my car about 2".
2" is a pretty small drop so I'd think you'd be fine, but the camber arm would probably be something I'd highly recommend for better contact patch and reduced tire wear. Tire wear is pretty marginal since it's not camber but toe that kills tires in normal circumstances. The toe arm is mainly there for if the toe brackets are damaged as toe adjustment is already built into the car. The trac arm is to center the wheel in the wheel well or to reduce dynamic geometry change in performance cars.

From what I've been told, you want to do as much alignment work as you can with stock cam bolts as you are adjusting the location of the pivot and not the length of the arm. When you change the length of the arm, you change the arc that it swings in which changes dynamic toe, and camber as the suspension compresses.
The following 2 users liked this post by notmill:
pmesfun (11-15-20), WILLYumD (11-14-20)
Old 11-16-20, 10:30 AM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't trust Firestone (or any chain shop) with anything, but YMMV. I had my alignment done at a small local shop.

Today I installed new FIGS trunk struts. Not sure if this was necessary, since the OEM trunk struts could hold the trunk fine. It just felt heavy to lift the trunk. With the OEM trunk struts being nearly 20 years old, replacement wouldn't hurt.

Installation was very straightforward, just remove the two clips on the OEM struts and pull them out. Most time consuming part was cleaning out the area. After using the FIGS trunk struts a few times, I definitely see an improvement. Now you can lift the trunk opening and pull it up slightly, the new struts will lift it the rest of the way. Not sure if the price difference was worth it compared to the cheaper Strong Arm alternative, but the FIGS trunk struts are quality.
The following users liked this post:
Romanova (11-16-20)
Old 11-16-20, 10:34 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Can you remove the black plastic cover pieces near the trunk struts to clean underneath them?
Old 11-16-20, 12:00 PM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Romanova
Can you remove the black plastic cover pieces near the trunk struts to clean underneath them?
It looks like it's possible to remove them with a panel removal tool, but I haven't tried it. Mostly used degreaser/brushing to get most of it clean
Old 11-16-20, 02:35 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Love my FIGS struts.

Picked up a used set of complete Sport Struts and Springs over the weekend from my buddy in Santa Ana. My LR is leaking, and for $200 I figured this could be a nice move.
Still debating whether or not to throw some lowering springs on them, or just leave them be. Resisting the urge to start modding is difficult!
Old 11-16-20, 07:50 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by marsmango
It looks like it's possible to remove them with a panel removal tool, but I haven't tried it. Mostly used degreaser/brushing to get most of it clean
Mine are clean on top, but I'd like to clean underneath as my LS spent some time outside during its previous ownership. One day I'll try and tackle it. What was the cost for the Figs trunk struts?
Old 11-17-20, 12:00 AM
notmill
Pit Crew

Mine are clean on top, but I'd like to clean underneath as my LS spent some time outside during its previous ownership. One day I'll try and tackle it. What was the cost for the Figs trunk struts?
If you want a pair I'll sell you mine. I installed them for two days and don't quite like them. They open a lot easier, but slam the trunk when they reach the fully open position. If you aren't stopping or slowing the trunk at the end of its range of motion, I assume the hinges would wear rather quickly.
Old 11-17-20, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by marsmango
Yeah I wouldn't trust Firestone (or any chain shop) with anything, but YMMV. I had my alignment done at a small local shop.

Today I installed new FIGS trunk struts. Not sure if this was necessary, since the OEM trunk struts could hold the trunk fine. It just felt heavy to lift the trunk. With the OEM trunk struts being nearly 20 years old, replacement wouldn't hurt.

Installation was very straightforward, just remove the two clips on the OEM struts and pull them out. Most time consuming part was cleaning out the area. After using the FIGS trunk struts a few times, I definitely see an improvement. Now you can lift the trunk opening and pull it up slightly, the new struts will lift it the rest of the way. Not sure if the price difference was worth it compared to the cheaper Strong Arm alternative, but the FIGS trunk struts are quality.
I saw a video online where a dealer was aligning a AMG and there was something to it. A Firestone can claim we do the same job, but they do not--they don't even care, that's half the battle lol to illustrate? They do NOT do Audi. Hmmm...wonder why that might be? But my Firestone claims we can do your BMW huh we do 911's all day long (right)

I recommended the lifetime here on this forum because it was like $120-$140 and one costs $70-$80. I walk that back and say I was wrong, don't get it.

Again all I'd say about struts is never use Monroe--that's what I did. also no need to spend more than $18 ea imho. Sachs and Stabilus are good products.
Old 11-17-20, 09:42 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by notmill
If you want a pair I'll sell you mine. I installed them for two days and don't quite like them. They open a lot easier, but slam the trunk when they reach the fully open position. If you aren't stopping or slowing the trunk at the end of its range of motion, I assume the hinges would wear rather quickly.
Haha, you just made them not desireable at all...
Old 11-17-20, 11:02 AM
marsmango
Pit Crew

I think they were about $70, not including shipping cost. They are a little more expensive, but I think the cheaper Strong Arm alternative might work for most people
Old 11-17-20, 04:45 PM
AlphaRed
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

New to LS430 1 month in. My car is black. Well maintained but not the paint. Swirls, water marks, blemishes. There was a spot on the rear fender that someone tried to fix a paint blemish. The area 3" X 9" looked like someone took a Brillo Pad to it. So today after I washed the car I hit this area with some Meguires Ultimate Compound. then Ultimate polish, then spray wax. Looks like brand new. Kind of proud of myself. I improved my car 10%.

A.R.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlphaRed:
damienqc (11-19-20), DJB04LS430 (06-29-21)
Old 11-17-20, 09:37 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Just finished the install today. The ride height needs a little adjustment. Going to add about an inch in rear and bring the front down about half an inch. Should even the wheel gap out a little more. Took it out to a parking garage since the driveway isn't flat at all and it's pretty level as expected. Adjusted the coilovers based on how many turns from the min ride height.

The ride quality is still somewhat good. Having ridden cars with megans and BCs with lower spring rates, this blows them out of the water in terms of ride compliance. 14k front should be ok, but the 12k rear might be a tad much. Will give it a month or two and if it turns out to be stiffer than desired, I'll swap it out for a 10k.

Once I have a couple weeks on the setup and have it tweaked to what I want, I'll report back.
pmesfun (11-18-20), WILLYumD (11-17-20)
Old 11-18-20, 12:03 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by notmill
The ride quality is still somewhat good. Having ridden cars with megans and BCs with lower spring rates, this blows them out of the water in terms of ride compliance. 14k front should be ok, but the 12k rear might be a tad much. Will give it a month or two and if it turns out to be stiffer than desired, I'll swap it out for a 10k.
"still somewhat good"? It's hard to quantify ride quality (especially considering personal preferences) over text, but is it a dramatic difference from stock? Have you played around with the damping setting much at all?
I am definitely leaning towards a set of 500 Series at 14k/10k, as long as the reliability is there, curious to see how it goes long-term for you.
Either way, Carlsson's look amazing with the new ride height.
Old 11-18-20, 02:03 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WILLYumD
"still somewhat good"? It's hard to quantify ride quality (especially considering personal preferences) over text, but is it a dramatic difference from stock? Have you played around with the damping setting much at all?
I am definitely leaning towards a set of 500 Series at 14k/10k, as long as the reliability is there, curious to see how it goes long-term for you.
Either way, Carlsson's look amazing with the new ride height.
I would describe the ride as firm, but certainly not harsh. Pretty dramatic difference from stock. Comparable to a modern sport sedan like an m5 with suspension set to sport mode. I went with the 14l/12k combo as I wanted less understeer at the limit.

At the moment, I have it set at +5 and +3 from fully open, but will play around a little more once I have the ride height set up and the alignment done. Even just driving around town yesterday, I noticed the brake dive was completely gone. We're entering winter so with wet roads and cold temps, there won't be many opportunities to get out and drive the car, but I'm excited to see what differences these will make on those windy roads.
ermat (11-21-20), WILLYumD (11-18-20)
Old 11-20-20, 05:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I finally got my windshield replaced after jacking around with State Farm about it for the past few years. They ended up not helping me out at all and I was left to pay for it all myself. I ended up getting a crazy deal on a new OEM windshield and used the installer from the Lexus dealership I worked at.

It came out really nice! I can’t believe how clear the windshield without scratches, chips or cracks. I think I’ll tint it a little bit lighter this time around. Maybe 50% tint instead of 35% like I had before.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?