LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-21, 08:56 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Yes all the hardware is there. I re-torqued the 3 nuts and center nut on each corner of the car. Everything is tight, only found the left front strut center but a little under torqued. A little quieter today because of warmer weather. I'll remove the left rear wheel and check everything underneath is tight. Also will pick up some silicone spray and give that a try.

If I do take off the strut I'm thinking about placing a thick piece of rubber or felt between the strut mount and body of the car to reduce vibration and noise coming into the cabin.
Got you! Keep us posted if you discover anything abnormal underneath. Brake Duster is also sometimes contributing to the clunk and can be easily confused with other parts, e.g. brakes
Old 02-20-21, 09:22 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

If I do take off the strut I'm thinking about placing a thick piece of rubber or felt between the strut mount and body of the car to reduce vibration and noise coming into the cabin.
Which rubber piece are you considering for this project? Ideally, it may need to cover the whole gap area as well be fully pressed with metal to avoid distortion of rubber as it flexes when you try to torque bolts.
Old 02-20-21, 10:23 AM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
In pursuit for “Lexus philosophy of perfection”, I ordered the new OEM (NOT AISIN NOT ANY aftermarket) set of all parts that I need for full timing belt job, including:
- R&R Crankshaft Pulley aka Harmonic balancer.
- Camshaft seals
- Crankshaft seals including rear main seal
- Washer “directing” plate and the crankshaft gear pulley
- OEM timing belt (MADE IN JAPAN) - before it was replaced by the new part number which I don’t know the manufacturing country.
- All idler pulleys and tensioners ordered from Japan directly - avoided “replaced by” parts in the US.

I will post my findings about the rubber ring (aka Isolation damper) in the Harmonic balancer, and for any other out of balance observations. Also, I want to make sure the timing is fully reset.

The previous timing belt was done 30k miles ago - mechanic suggested to keep original cam and crankshaft seals - a mistake from me to accept the suggestion. I would rather take care of it early than later, while experiencing potential oil leaks problems.

Also, the mechanic did not correctly remove the bolt using special tool - exposing the rubber balancer to potential damage. This time it will be done correctly. No more chain or impact gun or breaker bars to the ground for the starter rotation.
Are you planning on doing the camseals yourself? I haven't been able to find much DIY info on this. Mine were replaced at around 150k miles. It was a costly repair, but I won't need to deal with it again for a long time hopefully. Where did you source the Made in Japan parts from? Amayama?
Old 02-20-21, 01:55 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Which rubber piece are you considering for this project? Ideally, it may need to cover the whole gap area as well be fully pressed with metal to avoid distortion of rubber as it flexes when you try to torque bolts.
I think I will use door weatherstripping as it compresses easily. I know older Camry models used a foam material. It was cheap, thin and withered way with time, causing a clunking sound as the 3 bolts were no longer tight. So maybe I'll use something like this. Not sure because I would have to do the other side as well. I did more driving today and with the road clear and sunny weather I didn't hear much until I drove over asphalt patched concrete or rumbly concrete at slower speeds. I'm sure it just the strut mount and I can get an OEM replacement and it should be fine, but maybe applying foam might worth doing.
Old 02-21-21, 04:12 PM
PNWLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bucket seats and Te37sl 19x10.5 square 265 35 19

The following 2 users liked this post by PNWLS430:
infojunky (02-23-21), pmesfun (02-22-21)
Old 02-21-21, 07:18 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by marsmango
Are you planning on doing the camseals yourself? I haven't been able to find much DIY info on this. Mine were replaced at around 150k miles. It was a costly repair, but I won't need to deal with it again for a long time hopefully. Where did you source the Made in Japan parts from? Amayama?
I was considering to do the timing job myself, however, because of lack of engine repair experience, I was not able to find enough information about camshaft and crankshaft areas in 3uz-fe. I will likely not be able to properly align the gears during reassembly, therefore, to avoid playing the lottery with engine, I would have to find the mechanic who can do it for me.

I am looking to have him do the timing belt replacement plus all camshaft and crankshaft seals, including the rear one. I ordered most items from Japan directly through Amayama, as you mentioned.

Although Toyota timing belt made in USA is FINE (and definitely better than aftermarket, even AISIN - and yes, i do NOT believe these are the same parts even if they came from the same factory - after what i learned about brake parts, suspension parts, etc.), I made a decision to get the belt made in Japan - i am looking forward to keep for at least 100k miles. Here is the picture from the internet:

The following 2 users liked this post by ls430w140:
infojunky (02-23-21), marsmango (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 09:52 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

I think I will use door weatherstripping as it compresses easily. I know older Camry models used a foam material. It was cheap, thin and withered way with time, causing a clunking sound as the 3 bolts were no longer tight. So maybe I'll use something like this. Not sure because I would have to do the other side as well. I did more driving today and with the road clear and sunny weather I didn't hear much until I drove over asphalt patched concrete or rumbly concrete at slower speeds. I'm sure it just the strut mount and I can get an OEM replacement and it should be fine, but maybe applying foam might worth doing.
Added dynamat on the rear deck lid, behind the c pillars, over the wheel wells and around the strut towers. Also put put felt on places that could rattle and then placed a thick foam over the strut mount caps. I previously put dynamat on both sides of the strut mount caps and two layers of foam on the inside of the caps. So I can't hear any noise from that strut mount and road noise is reduced. I need to dynamat on bottom where the lower seat cushion sits and I'll be done.

The following users liked this post:
ls430w140 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 07:35 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

All back together with dynamat added on the bottom. Noticeably quieter inside and road and tire noise is reduced.

Old 02-23-21, 07:50 AM
infojunky
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWLS430

What seats/mounting brackets did you use?
Old 03-05-21, 01:31 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Ordered new OEM rear coil springs. I had just replaced the rear struts last month with new OEM struts for the 01-03 model. The ride was great for almost a month up until last weekend when I added some stuff in the trunk weighing about 120 pounds. Ride was still ok with the weight, but once I removed the stuff the ride went back to being harsh like before. Also the rear is now sitting low. So new coils will be installed Tuesday.
Old 03-05-21, 08:44 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWLS430
What seats are those? In the back of my mind, I've always thought Bride Edirbs 33's in suede beige wouldn't be too bad of a purchase if the color matched the interior well enough. The stock seats just don't have any kind of bolstering at all and I'm focusing on holding myself in most of the time. After purchasing a proper racing seat for my other car, I've always thought of getting something for this one.

Also, how much poke do you have on the fronts? I think I'm almost flush with 19x8.5 +40. That's a damn aggressive wheel setup and it looks sweet.
Old 03-05-21, 09:11 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Weather tech all-season floor mats for the LS460. The fronts fit 99% perfect. The rear are the SWB ones and in hindsight, should've ordered the ones for the LWB LS460.

Driver Front

Passenger front

Rear

Also threw the summer wheels back on since it was warm enough and added a 10mm spacer to the rear. Very happy with the fitment now.

The following users liked this post:
Gronemus (03-06-21)
Old 03-05-21, 09:29 PM
BaconLS430
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I picked up my 06 from the local (hour and fifteen minutes away) dealership. The second owner lost both master keys at 112,749 miles in June 2014 and they never elected to replace them so that was high on my priority list when I bought it. Having that smart key for keyless starting is just so nice. So, I dropped it off Wednesday morning for a reseed and two new master keys and tooled around in a 2021 RX450h loaner until this morning. Lots of creature comforts and newer technology but it can't match the ride comfort of the LS430 and the throttle is nowhere near as responsive comparing normal to normal or sport to power mode.
Old 03-07-21, 04:40 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

Put on new rotors, pads on front, replaced fuel pump in tank and changed oil and filter. Should be good for another 90K
Old 03-07-21, 09:32 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Today, I went out and get a Q45 because wife has been taking the LS and I don't want to drive my old Ford Taurus.

Funny thing was I picked up my LS the same day 3/7 last year
Some quick input on the differences I noticed between the two car
Q45 has much stronger engine, the pick up is faster than the LS430, the headlight is much cooler looking for sure. On paper the car is "bigger" than LS but it has smaller trunk and less space inside.
The center console is not user friendly, many buttons in odd position (for me)
Build quality is lower compares to LS, it doesn't give me the "tight" sound feel especially when closing the door. It also doesn't have full list of feature since my LS is UL.
Nonetheless, having 2 black on black at home...once I have the new plate and insurance setup, I am pretty sure my wife will take it away from me...LOL. She is a speed racer.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?