LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 05:35 AM
Shazzaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I need to replace my rear struts on my '06. From this post it sounds like the OEM struts for 2001-2003 are different than for 2004-2006. Is this correct? If I go for OEM why should I pick one over the other? Are the strut mounts the same?
Old 03-15-21, 06:46 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

01-03 are apparently monotube struts, and 04-06 are twin tube.

For me, the deciding factor was price, with the older style being available much cheaper when I bought mine.

The older style rides great, at least in my opinion.

Mounts are the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexRex:
pmesfun (03-15-21), Shazzaxx (03-15-21)
Old 03-28-21, 09:37 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Swapped out the new rear 04-06 coil springs for new rear 01-03 coil springs. I wasn't happy with the ride quality or ride height with the 04-06 coil springs. After they settled it felt just a little bit better than the original 04-06 springs and ride height went to the same as before. I realized that 04-06 springs have enough rebound(or extension), but not enough compression for my liking. This meant that sudden dips in the road, speed bumps or highway bridge transitions were felt more and unsettled the car. Now with the 01-03 springs all of those issues are gone. Visually the rear end sag is gone and car appears level.

Before with new rear 04-06 springs.

After with new rear 01-03 springs

The following 4 users liked this post by pmesfun:
Catalina45 (03-28-21), CSA (03-29-21), Duck05 (03-28-21), ls430w140 (03-28-21)
Old 04-03-21, 10:43 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

1 week and 400 miles later I am happy to say the car still rides great. Soft enough to soak up the crappy roads but still handles the same on two lane back roads. If anything it might handle back roads better because the rear suspension can load up but still have some spring travel left so a mid corner bump doesn't unsettle the car like before. On the highway it feels much better also. Finally I just want to retorque the rear suspension bushings at current ride height and get an alignment. Now the rear is 1/2" higher after settling maybe 1/16" from right after installation. After I resolve the rotten egg smell, by gutting the third cat and the timing belt job there isn't much left to do on this car.
Old 04-04-21, 09:15 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Catalina45 and I got some work done on our cars at his shop. We completed his suspension, which has included replacing all 4 struts and springs. We used KYB Excel-G struts and KYB K-flex springs in the front and Lesjofors in the rear. Both of those springs were specifically for the sport model as a aftermarket spring replacement for UK model coil sprung LS430s which only came as sport model. Rockauto had the Lesjofors rear springs fairly cheap but the Lesjofors front springs were not found anywhere online and were listed as to be discounted on their online catalogue. Fortunately I was able to find front springs in the KYB Europe catalogue and ordered a pair from Ebay UK. Total for all springs was less than half of going all OEM. Ride quality is much better on his car, especially in the rear. Also we replaced his radiator last weekend and it appears that has remained leak free.

On my car we removed the exhaust after the 3rd cat to fine that there is nothing wrong with it, not clogged and no damage to the catalyst. So more diagnosing for the rotten egg smell under mild acceleration. My other concern was vibration when starting the car and at idle in park with no accessories on. We brake torque the engine and found the driver side of the engine lifted over two inches vs maybe 1/2" on his. So engine and transmission mounts will be replaced later this year along with the timing belt job. For now just needs a final alignment and hopefully no more wrenching until after Summer.
Old 04-04-21, 09:28 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Catalina45 and I got some work done on our cars at his shop. We completed his suspension, which has included replacing all 4 struts and springs. We used KYB Excel-G struts and KYB K-flex springs in the front and Lesjofors in the rear. Both of those springs were specifically for the sport model as a aftermarket spring replacement for UK model coil sprung LS430s which only came as sport model. Rockauto had the Lesjofors rear springs fairly cheap but the Lesjofors front springs were not found anywhere online and were listed as to be discounted on their online catalogue. Fortunately I was able to find front springs in the KYB Europe catalogue and ordered a pair from Ebay UK. Total for all springs was less than half of going all OEM. Ride quality is much better on his car, especially in the rear. Also we replaced his radiator last weekend and it appears that has remained leak free.

On my car we removed the exhaust after the 3rd cat to fine that there is nothing wrong with it, not clogged and no damage to the catalyst. So more diagnosing for the rotten egg smell under mild acceleration. My other concern was vibration when starting the car and at idle in park with no accessories on. We brake torque the engine and found the driver side of the engine lifted over two inches vs maybe 1/2" on his. So engine and transmission mounts will be replaced later this year along with the timing belt job. For now just needs a final alignment and hopefully no more wrenching until after Summer.
How would you compare the ride in your OEM struts and springs vs his KYBs?
Old 04-05-21, 08:06 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by nvwls
How would you compare the ride in your OEM struts and springs vs his KYBs?
His is firmer, but not harsh and handles better. On mine you don't feel the bumps as much and on big dips there is more compression. I think the difference in how they ride is mainly from the springs. I feel if I used KYB Excel-G struts in the rear it may have made slowed down spring oscillation a little, for a more controlled ride while still maintaining ride quality. OEM 01-03 standard struts are super soft and offer very little resistance when compressing by hand.
Old 04-05-21, 08:16 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

His is firmer, but not harsh and handles better. On mine you don't feel the bumps as much and on big dips there is more compression. I think the difference in how they ride is mainly from the springs. I feel if I used KYB Excel-G struts in the rear it may have made slowed down spring oscillation a little, for a more controlled ride while still maintaining ride quality. OEM 01-03 standard struts are super soft and offer very little resistance when compressing by hand.
That's good to know. I'm debating whether to go with OEM 01-03 sport struts + springs vs. coilovers vs. something like the KYB excels. I think the sport struts might address some of the concerns it sounds like you have with the OEM regular struts while being cheaper than the KYBs and coilovers.

Did you replace the spring bumpers and all the rubber items or just reuse the old ones?
Old 04-06-21, 10:39 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Spent weekend wash, then use some wipe on polish, and finished with waxing.
Did it for both LS and Q

Old 04-06-21, 03:47 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Spent 90 minutes with a clay bar ... after 10 years it needed it. Hope I can finish the car this spring. Came out very nice. Should have done it sooner !

Had to go back....went back at it for another hour ..... The Briarwood pearl is my favorite...... and I have only seen only one other LS430 this color in Toronto in 10 years.

Last edited by Stu; 04-06-21 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 09:07 AM
CSA
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Swapped out the new rear 04-06 coil springs for new rear 01-03 coil springs. I wasn't happy with the ride quality or ride height with the 04-06 coil springs. After they settled it felt just a little bit better than the original 04-06 springs and ride height went to the same as before. I realized that 04-06 springs have enough rebound(or extension), but not enough compression for my liking. This meant that sudden dips in the road, speed bumps or highway bridge transitions were felt more and unsettled the car. Now with the 01-03 springs all of those issues are gone. Visually the rear end sag is gone and car appears level.

Before with new rear 04-06 springs.

After with new rear 01-03 springs

It sounds like the 01-03 coils are the way to go for ride quality. We just got back from a spring break road trip in my 05 with stock coils and KYB struts in the rear. Two teenage girls in the back seat and a loaded trunk made for the best ride I've ever had in this car. The remaining question when not laden with teenage girls and too much gear in the trunk is struts: 01-03 OEM struts, 04-06 OEM struts, or stick with the KYBs? Lexus LS glide is the goal.
Old 04-07-21, 10:37 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

Washed it today and got all the Oak pollen off it. my white car had turned to yellow!! It drives smoother, rides better. Funny how a wash job can cure so many small ills. Should have tried that when the fuel pump went out....LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by jimisbell:
CSA (04-07-21), DarthBacon (04-13-21), nvwls (04-07-21)
Old 04-07-21, 07:01 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSA
It sounds like the 01-03 coils are the way to go for ride quality. We just got back from a spring break road trip in my 05 with stock coils and KYB struts in the rear. Two teenage girls in the back seat and a loaded trunk made for the best ride I've ever had in this car. The remaining question when not laden with teenage girls and too much gear in the trunk is struts: 01-03 OEM struts, 04-06 OEM struts, or stick with the KYBs? Lexus LS glide is the goal.
Give the rear 01-03 coils a try and keep your KYB struts. That is what I would have done knowing what I know now. Then you can decide how the overall ride feels. Right now the wheel well gap is even all around. Front 01-03 coils may may raise the front the car too much. Here is how mine sits now after 400+ miles.

Old 04-07-21, 07:03 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by nvwls
That's good to know. I'm debating whether to go with OEM 01-03 sport struts + springs vs. coilovers vs. something like the KYB excels. I think the sport struts might address some of the concerns it sounds like you have with the OEM regular struts while being cheaper than the KYBs and coilovers.

Did you replace the spring bumpers and all the rubber items or just reuse the old ones?
Go with 01-03 sport struts if they are cheaper and valved a little stiffer like you said. I reused the bump stops and rear dust boots as they are not included with the mounts. The front KYB mounts came with the dust boots integrated.
The following users liked this post:
nvwls (04-07-21)
Old 04-08-21, 06:27 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Go with 01-03 sport struts if they are cheaper and valved a little stiffer like you said. I reused the bump stops and rear dust boots as they are not included with the mounts. The front KYB mounts came with the dust boots integrated.
Hi, my 05 came with the sport suspension. At the moment I'm on oem non-sport springs and coils. But I want to try the sport setup again.

I bought a set of 01-03 OEM sport shocks (at a good price) and was thinking to combine them with my old 04-06 sport springs. I remember that I didn't like how they were handling the bumds and cracks.
Do you think it's worth to purchase 01-03 OEM sport springs instead of 04-06 sport springs?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?