LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 03:37 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Ordered a rear strut mount for a LS460 in an attempt to use it on my LS430. Its a better design and hopefully eliminates the soft clunking on sharp bumps or washboard type roads. I believe with the original design strut mount with a separate rebound support washer that is the cause of the clunking. Yes I have replaced any possible bad bushing, exhaust hangers, retorqued every bolt, every panel inside the car, including the trunk, is secured and doesn't rattle. 100% the noise is produced during the dampening, more apparent the slower you go on rumble type roads. I'll report back once I compare the strut mounts.

LS430 strut mount with support washer

LS460 integrated strut mount

Got one of the LS460 mounts installed. So far I don't hear the clunking on manhole covers anymore. I'll report back after replacing the other side and getting more miles driven. I believe the clunking would coming back with the original style mounts after the springs settled. Hopefully with the one piece strut mount design that is no longer as issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by pmesfun:
infojunky (07-13-21), notmill (07-14-21)
Old 07-08-21, 06:07 PM
teaa
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DJB04LS430
would love to see how it turned out.

The following users liked this post:
JoeBobb (08-26-21)
Old 07-09-21, 02:00 PM
hanzyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lowered this big baby.

lowered this thing on maxpeedingrods (i know, i know) they are obviously not the greatest coilovers but my air lift perfomance will not be coming in for the next couple of months. these will do for the meantime. it does ride pretty well, adjusted the dampening to the softest ride. i got to lower the rears a smidge to be flat with the ground but more upgrade coming soon.
Old 07-12-21, 06:36 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Picked up the calipers from the painter today. The Stop Tech special order rotors and SS brake lines are still not in and now are estimated for first week of August.

I didn’t want to wait that long to go by and get the calipers as I had not paid for them yet. When the parts arrive will schedule the install and update the final outcome.

BigBoomer (07-14-21)
Old 07-12-21, 09:01 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by teaa
Nice! Where did you even find a radio? I can't seem to find anything lately. Looking for truck and a slim unit like the Alpine for my LS so I can mount it flush. But it seems none in stock anywhere.

nedear1688 (06-28-22)
Old 07-13-21, 05:20 PM
teaa
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mykvr6
Nice! Where did you even find a radio? I can't seem to find anything lately. Looking for truck and a slim unit like the Alpine for my LS so I can mount it flush. But it seems none in stock anywhere.
best buy. This is the Sony XAVAX1000, got it for $300. got the metra kit off amazon, and I used a TYTO01 interface to connect the harness. steering wheel controls won't work with the tyto01 though if thats important to you
Old 07-14-21, 09:23 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Got one of the LS460 mounts installed. So far I don't hear the clunking on manhole covers anymore. I'll report back after replacing the other side and getting more miles driven. I believe the clunking would coming back with the original style mounts after the springs settled. Hopefully with the one piece strut mount design that is no longer as issue.

Got the other side installed last week. So far I have put around 400 miles on these strut mounts and the clunking has not come back. I believe this is the best thing I have done to this car. Hitting bumps and potholes are no longer a problem, all I hear is the tire making impact. Only thing is the LS430 bump stops(jounce bumpers) are too long(about an inch of travel) and I can feel them limiting suspension travel, still rides good. So I ordered LS460 bump stops and will swap them in this weekend. Also the rear wheel can droop more into potholes and depressions in the road because on the LS460 mounts the strut shaft attachment is lower in the mount. So the spring did not need to be compressed as much to get the center nut on. I realized when I went to put the wheel back on and needed to jack up the rear higher.

I plan to use LS460 mounts in the front also, but later on. The LS430 mounts currently on the are fairly quiet. They only clunk on sharp bumps(lower to higher concrete) at slow speeds. Should also have more droop in the front suspension with LS460 mount since the design is similar to the rear.
Hipatchy (07-15-21)
Old 07-14-21, 10:38 PM
Hipatchy
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I literally changed the whole front suspension and it is much better but still have a clunk.
Every change makes a minor difference. When the springs settle the clunk keeps coming back.
Been working on the front suspension for a year and I'm out of ideas so I am happy to read this, appreciate you sharing this.
I am going to give it a go. Anything else needed other than ordering a top mount? Any year ls460 top mount will work? Thanks so much.
Old 07-14-21, 11:59 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hipatchy
I literally changed the whole front suspension and it is much better but still have a clunk.
Every change makes a minor difference. When the springs settle the clunk keeps coming back.
Been working on the front suspension for a year and I'm out of ideas so I am happy to read this, appreciate you sharing this.
I am going to give it a go. Anything else needed other than ordering a top mount? Any year ls460 top mount will work? Thanks so much.
I've done the same, changed everything component and still had some remaining clunking. Yes any year will work. So for front mounts I was planning on going OEM instead of KYB the reason is you can't but the bump stops separately from what I can tell. They might be a little too short from looking at the parts diagram but should still provide some protection. Another option is to get the KYB mounts which are about $40 each vs OEM at $130 and reuse the LS430 bump stops and trim them probably at least 1 inch shorter then epoxy them into the mount. Which is what I did in the rear since at the top the diameter of the LS430 bump stop is a little smaller than the LS460.

OEM
https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2009...868050120.html

KYB
Amazon Amazon

Here you can see the LS430 bump stop is a little smaller. I used epoxy and applied it inside the cup then placed the bump stop in, centered it and filled in the gaps all around with more epoxy.

Hipatchy (07-15-21)
Old 07-15-21, 04:04 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Not 100% sure this is the part to which you're referring but I've ordered parts for my ES300 from here and have saved a lot of $$$ on OEM. It does take a while (2-3 weeks) to receive the products but if you plan ahead it works out just fine.
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/4875512100
Good luck.
Old 07-15-21, 07:30 AM
Hipatchy
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I did use OEM new upper mounts. Perhaps it's not the problem but I'm willing to try as it drives me nuts. I even changed the 3 engine mounts.
Dis some browsing last night and there is also a bottom spring isolator you can buy. I'll buy that as well and hopefully it fits. I can use the old OEM bump stop and make the two work. Thanks for the reply. Will post in a month or so as Canada it takes time to get parts.
Old 07-15-21, 08:15 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hipatchy
I did use OEM new upper mounts. Perhaps it's not the problem but I'm willing to try as it drives me nuts. I even changed the 3 engine mounts.
Dis some browsing last night and there is also a bottom spring isolator you can buy. I'll buy that as well and hopefully it fits. I can use the old OEM bump stop and make the two work. Thanks for the reply. Will post in a month or so as Canada it takes time to get parts.
I was thinking that the clunking on mine was from bad engine mounts. Good to know(or not good to know lol) replacing them didn't help. That spring isolator is too wide I believe. I remember buying pair when I first changed rear strut and springs and it didn't fit. The LS460 coils springs being wider is probably why. Definitely a good idea to isolate the lower coil. Maybe using heater hose is an alternative.
Old 07-20-21, 03:22 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Got around to replacing rear shocks with KYBs. The original shocks - they definitely needed refreshing but certainly better than I've seen some shocks at replacement time. Interesting the originals had date of manufacture stickers on them in my case 19 September 2001.

Reused original mounts which are still fine.

Steering feels sharper now.. (always baffles me how fixing or stiffening rear suspension makes steering feel/turn in sharper) more controlled over bumps and ride quality is still great. Definitely recommended for anyone wanting to make their car feel new (er) again.

Relatively easy job without separating the ball joint but you do NEED a friend to wrangle the shock off and onto the hub mount. Took about 2 hours. 1.5 hours figuring out/do the first side. 30 minutes for the second.
nvwls (07-20-21)
Old 07-20-21, 04:47 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Aus430
Got around to replacing rear shocks with KYBs. The original shocks - they definitely needed refreshing but certainly better than I've seen some shocks at replacement time. Interesting the originals had date of manufacture stickers on them in my case 19 September 2001.

Reused original mounts which are still fine.

Steering feels sharper now.. (always baffles me how fixing or stiffening rear suspension makes steering feel/turn in sharper) more controlled over bumps and ride quality is still great. Definitely recommended for anyone wanting to make their car feel new (er) again.

Relatively easy job without separating the ball joint but you do NEED a friend to wrangle the shock off and onto the hub mount. Took about 2 hours. 1.5 hours figuring out/do the first side. 30 minutes for the second.
What's your vehicle's mileage?
Old 07-20-21, 04:54 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

360k km which is about 225k miles I think
nvwls (07-20-21)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?