LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 08:49 AM
thellmer
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DC777
Do you have any photos? I am think of taking mine apart. I’ve got a consistent rattle coming from somewhere in the steering column assembly. I have taken it apart down to the clock spring but whatever is rattling in within the steering column assembly itself.
I didn't take any photos, but used this other thread which does have them: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-write-up.html
Old 07-25-22, 09:00 AM
DC777
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Attempt at reupholstering.

I attempted to reupholster a few things is my car. I started with the steering wheel. I expected a steep learning curve so I am first covering it with a faux leather so I don’t waste nice leather. The job came out satisfactory. I got some nice leather and I will be redoing this job with the lessons I learned along the way. If anyone is interested, watch https://youtube.com/c/Cechaflo. The guy is a leather working wizard. Anyways, here are the photos.

I made my pattern out of this stuff called Swedish fabric.

Not bad for a first attempt. Getting the fabric into the grooves proved to be the most difficult part.
The following 8 users liked this post by DC777:
BigBoomer (07-26-22), CSA (08-18-23), DaveGS4 (07-27-22), LatinLS430 (08-29-22), nvwls (08-28-22), Peacebay (07-27-22), pmesfun (07-28-22), stuckincal (08-21-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-22, 03:58 PM
gromaudio
Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by nedear1688
I did this Apple CarPlay upgrade to my 05, I really enjoy driving the LS more regardless gas prices skyrocket spike! The BeatSonic trim kit are rare to find and it's expensive as well...but they are the only company sell it, it came with the plug and play adapter which allow retaining the factory navigation, A/C control, backup camera and best of all retain the Mark Levinson amp incorporated with the aftermarket radio, I only lose the MODE, track up/down function. I like how the Sony radio still have the volume **** and it has good features vs the OEM radio. I like how the trim piece color match with factory. The sound quality is up a par compared with the OEM radio.

Before the OEM radio removal.

The finished setup.
LEX4VL2 integrates directly into your factory radio without the need to replace the ML factory stereo and aftermarket trims. Stock look, better resale value. Just 2c:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex4.html
Old 08-28-22, 08:33 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Replaced both my wheel bearings, which had developed a slight noise at highway speeds. I feared doing this job for the longest time due to the fact that my car had some fairly rusty suspension parts, some of which were a real PITA to remove. Wanted to avoid removing the spindle and pressing out the bearing if I could.

At first, I tried using the slide hammer. After about 10 minutes of going at it, my arms were killing me so I decided to spray down the hub with Kroil and take a quick break. I remembered reading about someone who suggested using an air hammer on the partially threaded hub bolts, so tried that instead and the hubs came out immediately. I was able to complete the other side in less than 20 minutes. This time around, I instead used the air hammer first and then followed with the slide hammer which was able to remove the hub with a few easy pulls.

Also completed an oil change, a tire rotation, and a smoke leak test of both the intake/vacuum hoses and the exhaust. Identified a small leak coming from the top of the exhaust, which I may address sometime in the near future. Next up is a cosmetic restoration with a 2-stage paint correction, ceramic coating, and front bumper repaint.
Spoiler

The following 2 users liked this post by nvwls:
pmesfun (08-29-22), stuckincal (08-28-22)
Old 08-30-22, 11:15 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Replaced the passenger spark plug o-rings and the valve cover gasket. 195K miles, the o-rings were like hard plastic.
Recently replaced all spark plugs myself and 2 ignition coils that needed replacement and found that 1 spark plug is in oil.
I had intermittent shaking of the car sometimes in the traffic, I hope it will go away.
I didn't notice any major gasket leaks prior to that and hope there won't be any leaks with the new gasket. (I've added RTV in the required points)
The following 3 users liked this post by beercan:
LatinLS430 (08-31-22), Romanova (08-31-22), treehan77 (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 12:59 PM
Lxsdrvr
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beercan
Replaced the passenger spark plug o-rings and the valve cover gasket. 195K miles, the o-rings were like hard plastic.
Recently replaced all spark plugs myself and 2 ignition coils that needed replacement and found that 1 spark plug is in oil.
I had intermittent shaking of the car sometimes in the traffic, I hope it will go away.
I didn't notice any major gasket leaks prior to that and hope there won't be any leaks with the new gasket. (I've added RTV in the required points)
How long did it take you? I'm at 114k miles and both of my VCG are leaking. I'm going to tackle them along with plugs and whatever else is needed sometime in the next few months.
Old 08-30-22, 02:12 PM
Goakes9277
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRMLS
Put on a set of Michelin Premier 245/45R18 tires! So quiet on the freeway, I can hear the engine revs change as it goes through the gears!
06 ML, 42,000 miles.
Originally Posted by XJSFan
I have mine at 33PSI but 40PSI sounds really high. You must have roads smooth like glass to have your car run nice with that high tire pressure. LOL... I would keep an eye on how they are wearing in the middle of the tread.

Yea I did 33 for awhile felt real nice now do 36 rides better but you do feel large cracks in highway the ones that aren't avoidable love the frigging car though just this morning it impressed me and I've had it for 2 years almsot
Old 08-30-22, 09:50 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you mark the points where RTV is required?
Old 08-30-22, 11:24 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Got my new plates
Old 08-31-22, 01:02 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DVL5WRK95
Can you mark the points where RTV is required?
I added RTV only to those points with a visible gasket maker from the factory. I cleaned them and added a new rtv to those points. You will see them.
I marked the main points, but don't remember if I added anything around the center of the cover. Better find a manual - for the passenger side, those points are marked. And torque gradually in a star pattern.
I hope everything goes well and there won't be any leaks Will be paying attention.
And preparing for starter replacement.

UPDATE: it's leaking badly at the bottom. I tried retorquing the all bottom bolts and broke 1 bolt closest to the battery.
The oil is leaking onto the exhaust manifold and burns it / gives smog.

Not sure why the new gasket didn't work, maybe because it sat in my garage for 4-5 years?

Last edited by beercan; 08-31-22 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-31-22, 06:51 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

I added RTV only to those points with a visible gasket maker from the factory. I cleaned them and added a new rtv to those points. You will see them.
I marked the main points, but don't remember if I added anything around the center of the cover. Better find a manual - for the passenger side, those points are marked. And torque gradually in a star pattern.
I hope everything goes well and there won't be any leaks Will be paying attention.
And preparing for starter replacement.

UPDATE: it's leaking badly at the bottom. I tried retorquing the all bottom bolts and broke 1 bolt closest to the battery.
The oil is leaking onto the exhaust manifold and burns it / gives smog.

Not sure why the new gasket didn't work, maybe because it sat in my garage for 4-5 years?
Did you replace the bolt grommets? They are one-time use. The half-moon seals can be a failure point as well. A simple guide for places to add RTV is anywhere the gasket is making a sharp turn
Old 09-01-22, 03:53 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nvwls
Did you replace the bolt grommets? They are one-time use. The half-moon seals can be a failure point as well. A simple guide for places to add RTV is anywhere the gasket is making a sharp turn
No, I didn't. They are stiff from the age and gave cracking noises when I bolted them, do you think they play a big role?
I added rtv as per manual, and where the oem rtv was.

Curious if these places require rtv.

Also, ordered all new bolts with grommets. 90109-06163

Last edited by beercan; 09-01-22 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 08:45 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

No, I didn't. They are stiff from the age and gave cracking noises when I bolted them, do you think they play a big role?
I added rtv as per manual, and where the oem rtv was.

Curious if these places require rtv.

Also, ordered all new bolts with grommets. 90109-06163
Yes, they apparently make a difference in terms of accurate torque values and creating an appropriate seal around the entire cover. You definitely don't want to be hearing any cracking noises when torquing the bolts. I learned a lot from watching these two videos:
, and
. He takes a lot of care in making multiple passes when torquing and ensuring an even seal. Over torquing can cause leaks as well.

I attached the FSM, steps 12-14 discuss reinstallation of the valve covers including appropriate locations for FIPG/RTV and torque values. The "curves" you point to in your second pic don't require any, but you were correct in your initial picture. Just to clarify though, FIPG should be applied on the clean cylinder head surface, not the valve covers themselves.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cylinder head reassembly.pdf (5.35 MB, 23 views)
The following users liked this post:
beercan (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 11:19 AM
inlakesh
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr101
Got a a new rock chip in the windshield.. seeing how many more I can rack up before I need to replace it...

I think after 3 chips the glass company won’t do a repair. They also have to be smaller than a quarter to be repaired.
Old 09-01-22, 12:36 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

Recently installed front Monroe quick struts. I determined the original front springs were worn out. Really happy with the ride now. Also gave the interior a much needed detailing. Tomorrow I'll dropping off the front bumper to be repainted.
The following users liked this post:
Catalina45 (09-01-22)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?