LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 02:07 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Installed Stoptech stainless brake hoses

Installed Stoptech stainless brake hoses today. Hoses are metric (17mm on hard line end like OEM, but 12mm on caliper end instead of 14mm). Installation for the front passenger side was tricky…hard line wasn’t threading in easily, so I took my time to avoid crossing threads. Bled the brakes (18oz fluid w/o flushing ABS and traction control reservoirs since I don’t have the Toyota electronic SST). Pedal is definitely firmer. Combined with the Stoptech cross-drilled/slotted rotors and Porterfield R4s pads, braking is phenomenal!

Old 12-31-23, 02:23 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Found out that the trunk release from the inside is controlled by the lever beside the steering wheel. It also has a lock that can be pushed in to defeat the unlocking mechanism.
Also found out that the external pushbutton to unlock the trunk had no switch or any wiring. The Lexus dealer told me my VIIN nr indicated the vehicle does not have this feature. I found this odd: All Toyotas and other non UL models have this feature but the top of the line does not. Next thing would be to make the external lock workable ( it is totally corroded)
Found out that the powersteering fluid filter is located INSIDE the PS reservoir and is unaccessible . To change the filter you need to buy the whole reservoir. In over 21 years the filter has never been cleaned . Time to change to prevent further cost along the line.
Lower control arm bushing is cracked. Mechanic says it will cost more to work on removing the bushing than buying a new control arm. It lasted over 21 years.
So far, the car has been good to me.
Old 01-02-24, 06:40 AM
typedbyben
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered two new front wheel bearings from Amayama and a full OEM Sport shock complement from Lexuspartsnow. $900 goes fast on these units!
Old 01-03-24, 08:17 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Replaced my worn down trunk struts with new OEM struts from Bell Lexus. Also did air filter and front seat filters.
The following users liked this post:
Romanova (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 08:20 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinLS430

Replaced my worn down trunk struts with new OEM struts from Bell Lexus. Also did air filter and front seat filters.
Trunk struts are on my short list... really curious to see how new ones compare to my current ones which I believe to be original.
Old 01-03-24, 08:23 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by Romanova
Trunk struts are on my short list... really curious to see how new ones compare to my current ones which I believe to be original.
Big difference! Mine were original too. Trunk almost slammed my head a few times so it was way past due.
Old 01-03-24, 02:41 PM
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I replaced some broken connectors in the engine bay... definitely worth it as the old connectors all broke into pieces when trying to de-pin them. it's a small thing but super satisfying!

LatinLS430 (01-03-24)
Old 01-12-24, 08:16 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Replaced them today with new ones from Bell Lexus. What a difference. Old ones were original and were pretty much shot. Also noticed that the wiring for my backup camera for my non-nav aftermarket system is frayed and has resulted in it only working sometimes... going to have to replace that this spring.
LatinLS430 (01-12-24)
Old 01-31-24, 09:20 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Replaced my seat filters. The old ones were probably the original ones. Very easy replacement.
Romanova (02-02-24)
Old 01-31-24, 10:22 AM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have anything at the trunk to open it either. I just have a Premium without Smart Key, and I believe you only get a trunk button with Smart Key. So wierd ... my ancient 4Runner has a button to open the rear hatch, and that thing certainly doesn't have any kind of Smart Key setup.

For the power steering, I noticed that my old fluid was very dark colored. I followed the advice of TCCN and installed a new reservoir for the exact reason you mention ... you _don't_ want to have a clogged filter or there will be hell to pay ... and flushed the PS fluid. Nice and clean, and the reservoir is spotless. (The reservoir is a very expensive part, but you can get an OE one from Japan for less than half the price they sell them for here; just look around.)

As far as the LCABs, I had mine replaced (that's above my pay grade as far as DIY). It wasn't terribly expensive. I just sourced the parts -- gotta go with OE, period -- and brought them to my indie mechanic and he got the new ones on there no sweat. Definitely sharpens up handling.

Originally Posted by semar
Found out that the trunk release from the inside is controlled by the lever beside the steering wheel. It also has a lock that can be pushed in to defeat the unlocking mechanism.
Also found out that the external pushbutton to unlock the trunk had no switch or any wiring. The Lexus dealer told me my VIIN nr indicated the vehicle does not have this feature. I found this odd: All Toyotas and other non UL models have this feature but the top of the line does not. Next thing would be to make the external lock workable ( it is totally corroded)
Found out that the powersteering fluid filter is located INSIDE the PS reservoir and is unaccessible . To change the filter you need to buy the whole reservoir. In over 21 years the filter has never been cleaned . Time to change to prevent further cost along the line.
Lower control arm bushing is cracked. Mechanic says it will cost more to work on removing the bushing than buying a new control arm. It lasted over 21 years.
So far, the car has been good to me.
Old 02-05-24, 02:11 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Use the Bissell little green extractor on my front floor mats. It was a xmas gift and it works pretty well!

BaconLS430 (02-05-24)
Old 02-21-24, 08:17 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Installed new 555 endlinks and OEM bushings trying to fix a clunking on my front driver. Sadly it didn't fix my noise. I also replaced my original fuel cap.

Romanova (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 08:32 AM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Trunk struts on these cars are extremely easy to replace; they just pop right off. For sure I would bite the bullet and just source OEM Lexus ones; they're way higher quality. That being said, even new ones aren't all that strong; you still have to push the trunk lid up. The struts don't propel it to the top position, they more or less just hold it steady for you.
Old 02-21-24, 10:20 AM
erse
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by typedbyben
Ordered two new front wheel bearings from Amayama and a full OEM Sport shock complement from Lexuspartsnow. $900 goes fast on these units!
Have you found amyama to be a reliable source for parts? Any problems with import duties?
Old 02-26-24, 07:55 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Did a brake flush with this one man bleeder:
https://allstarperformance.com/bleed...alve-all11017/

My brake fluid was really dark:

I started with the rear passager and driver sides:

By the time I was in the driver front caliper it looked like this:

At the end, the brake master cylinder looked like this:

I might do another round since there was a little pocket of dark fluid still in it:

The following 2 users liked this post by LatinLS430:
Romanova (02-26-24), styloren (02-29-24)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?