LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 08:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

gotcha, this is what I found for my rear right paint code 072

69207-50010-A2 lists for $34.90 for my rear right, and 69250-50011-A3 for the driver's side front, lists for $39.66. The best I can do is 31% off those prices, plus shipping. Too bad my uncle doesn't still have his shop down here, he would routinely do 50+%, I was shocked when he got a OEM Maxima clutch hose (it's the first section so OEM is the only alternative) and it was < $50....

These are very costly considering what they are, but I do want to do them, I'll ignore the CC charge and pretend it was an unscheduled lunch or something for the family...
Old 02-02-17, 10:19 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying used, figured it would need them

Well OK then, waited all week to finally get my front rotors it the mail to install them. Get it all jacked up and go and start removing the brake pads. Pulled the retention spring out and Hmm. Better open that brake pad box and compare thickness, sure enough. about the same as the new ones. Rotors looked in great shape. Oh well, put it back together. Put the rotors and pads into storage for future use.
Old 02-02-17, 10:26 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkallinen
Well OK then, waited all week to finally get my front rotors it the mail to install them. Get it all jacked up and go and start removing the brake pads. Pulled the retention spring out and Hmm. Better open that brake pad box and compare thickness, sure enough. about the same as the new ones. Rotors looked in great shape. Oh well, put it back together. Put the rotors and pads into storage for future use.
Isn't that just how things go sometimes? At least you've got spares now...
Old 02-02-17, 11:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Isn't that just how things go sometimes? At least you've got spares now...
imho pads are cheap (relatively speaking)....on my wife's I will toss with 50%. On the originals.....something embedded and destroyed the rotors when the pads got over 50% (web search showed someone else experiencing the same)...but yeah if 100% no point in replacing. On my BMW I tossed the rotors when PERFECTLY good after 47k, that's the German way (uncle in Munich says that's because we do 186 mph to 0, repeatedly, you, do not, you can do every other if you want)....I just followed the book, always pads and rotors together, never pads only on the 335.
Old 02-02-17, 03:57 PM
BeefyLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This means that they could very well be tight, but a blunt force in the right direction breaks them off.....which is why nobody finds them to be loose...but there have been posts where they were gone, where one fella found one in his garage...
You know, several of mine have actually been loose for as long as I can remember, but none of them have ever come off. However, I don't put my car through those automatic washers
Old 02-02-17, 04:19 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

My guess would be that the caps were vandalized or the previous owner may have improperly removed them for whatever reason and damaged them from that. I don't see any way they can be accidentally knocked off.
Old 02-03-17, 04:16 AM
jvswerbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

150K service completed plus wipers and low beam bulbs. Lexus wanted $1450 plus tax. One of my techs did it for $150 while I supplied $165 in parts.
Old 02-03-17, 05:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jvswerbo
150K service completed plus wipers and low beam bulbs. Lexus wanted $1450 plus tax. One of my techs did it for $150 while I supplied $165 in parts.
I'm sure I'll get hit up for the same service when I have the oil changed next week. I'm quickly approaching 150K

Seems like I could probably handle this myself;
https://www.driverside.com/service-s...mileage=150000
Old 02-05-17, 08:18 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Treated her to a lifetime alignment at Firestone. Finally benefitted, 3/4 wheels were out of spec. The best part is the steering wheel is no longer slightly to the left....it was slight, but nice it's been corrected.
Old 02-06-17, 09:41 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Made an appointment for an oil change at a different dealership here in Milwaukee. Figured I'd try out Lexus of North Shore and see how they compare to the other dealership I go to, Lexus of Brookfield. My life is so exciting...
And from a different thread...

It does make it easier to have a car like this, being able to DIY, as it were. Certainly helps that I'm a mechanic by trade. When I look at giving someone 800 - 1000 dollars to do what I can do, I'm more than comfortable with opening up the engine covers and changing the TB. However, oil changes are too easy to pawn off on the dealership. They clean the car afterwards, I don't have to dispose of old oil and the waiting area is very nice.
This has got me thinking. I've always done my own oil changes and other mechanical work ever since I picked up my first car some 40 years ago. Now that I'm approaching the time that I need to perform my first oil change with the LS maybe it would be worthwhile to take it in to one of the two local dealers to have it done. So it sounds like you have gone to Lexus of Brookfield in the past for this. What did it usually cost you? Did you always get a free wash with your service? Somewhat curious as to why you are going to try North Shore?

As an aside, my neighbor two doors down was one of the "General Managers" over at North Shore last year. I was kind of disappointed that he left a few months before I picked up my LS as I probably would have been able to get some preferential treatment over there since I'm always over at his place fixing things for him (i.e. repaired his broken garage door springs just two weeks ago)...
Old 02-06-17, 10:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gronemus
And from a different thread...

This has got me thinking. I've always done my own oil changes and other mechanical work ever since I picked up my first car some 40 years ago. Now that I'm approaching the time that I need to perform my first oil change with the LS maybe it would be worthwhile to take it in to one of the two local dealers to have it done. So it sounds like you have gone to Lexus of Brookfield in the past for this. What did it usually cost you? Did you always get a free wash with your service? Somewhat curious as to why you are going to try North Shore?

As an aside, my neighbor two doors down was one of the "General Managers" over at North Shore last year. I was kind of disappointed that he left a few months before I picked up my LS as I probably would have been able to get some preferential treatment over there since I'm always over at his place fixing things for him (i.e. repaired his broken garage door springs just two weeks ago)...
my .02.......I want to use full synth on all of our cars....and there's always a rebate. Just grabbed 3 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 12/30/16 and got a $30 rebate ($25.xx at Walmart each).

I feel uncomfortable when a car does not come from the factory with synth, and you ask for synthetic oil and pay someone else to do it. How do you really know what went in? I caught a dealer doing that switch on my wife's, and their excuse was, your car only requires a blend, we'll credit you the difference. It wouldn't have hurt it anyway. (maybe true, but you're dishonest) Since that day, nobody does the oil except me. A BMW dealer sent me a letter offering me a free oil change because they broke my sensor wire, no thanks (I'm not saying I would not trust all BMW dealers, just not this one that's offering me a free change).

So to avoid the switcharoo, or even honest mistakes, I prefer to DIY. The synth oil costs $15 for 5 qts., and the WIX HP filter $7, so it's done right for $22....no Lexus dealer can touch that....at least I don't think they can....
Old 02-06-17, 10:28 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jvswerbo
Oh come on, you get free water at the dealer. Well in this case (without tax) it would have been $1,000 for the water, $100 to clean/wash and the $35 cover charge.
Old 02-06-17, 11:15 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
my .02.......I want to use full synth on all of our cars....and there's always a rebate. Just grabbed 3 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 12/30/16 and got a $30 rebate ($25.xx at Walmart each).

I feel uncomfortable when a car does not come from the factory with synth, and you ask for synthetic oil and pay someone else to do it. How do you really know what went in? I caught a dealer doing that switch on my wife's, and their excuse was, your car only requires a blend, we'll credit you the difference. It wouldn't have hurt it anyway. (maybe true, but you're dishonest) Since that day, nobody does the oil except me. A BMW dealer sent me a letter offering me a free oil change because they broke my sensor wire, no thanks (I'm not saying I would not trust all BMW dealers, just not this one that's offering me a free change).

So to avoid the switcharoo, or even honest mistakes, I prefer to DIY. The synth oil costs $15 for 5 qts., and the WIX HP filter $7, so it's done right for $22....no Lexus dealer can touch that....at least I don't think they can....
I can certainly understand the logic (and perhaps a bit of the paranoia?, as I sometimes suffer from that also) but even as a long time user of synthetic oil I've come to the conclusion that unless you live in an area where its extremely cold, or have a turbo, it doesn't matter what you stick in your crankcase as long as you change it regularly. But then again, everybody has an opinion on OIL.

I'm more curious in just seeing how the dealer treats a complete stranger just in case I would ever need to take my vehicle in for something major. And I suppose it would have to be something like an engine change since I generally do not like going to them for service...
Old 02-06-17, 04:21 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Today... The new v15 nav disk

Found that my 06 had version 5 in the reader. Figured that was why when I wanted to go to New Orleans from South Padre Island, I was being routed through Laredo Texas to get there.... Just about exactly the wrong direction for the first few hundred miles. BTW, every where in Texas is a few hundred miles. Anyway, slipped the v15 in, a total snap to do, waited for the boot-up and guess what. Yep, still wanted me to cruise to Laredo to catch 10, then pretty straightforward after that.

So... After reading the tome that is the manual for the nav, I found I can force the route to get there a better way. Problem is that the system only allows for two "preferred route changes" and you do have to be rather lucky to even find the hwys on the screen.

For those that may ask why I am delving into the onboard nav.... It is due to the same reasoning I like to climb an occasional mountain. The dang thing is there.

I even tried entering the coordinates. Same results.

Once the forced route was established, I'm sure it will work just fine. My beef is that it took me nearly as long to program the route as to drive the roundabout way😉.

I'm sure that it is more of a problem for remote site's like mine than areas of greater population.

The Google maps or Scout are far superior though.

But hey, the disk worked, just not so well for me.

Oh, I did give her another coat of carnuba on gp. I like to watch folks slide off when they lean against her. She sluffs them off like warm snow. Funny as hell😈.

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 02-07-17, 04:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ltd76gold

Oh, I did give her another coat of carnuba on gp. I like to watch folks slide off when they lean against her. She sluffs them off like warm snow. Funny as hell😈.

​​​​​​​Doug k
I like this too (seem to be loyal to Meguiars Gold Class paste) but since I bought the car in Oct. and it was detailed, I did not wax it myself yet, which is why when I see a scratch after the car wash, I can't be sure it wasn't there before, and my hunch it was. For some reason, I love to see water bead on the hoods and trunks of any vehicle. I used to keep my Volvo 264 polished up. One day, leaving for work, I had just gotten this nice Seattle coffee mug and I absolutely loved it, took it back and forth with me. I have never been back to Seattle, except to connect on a flight. I laid it on the hood as I unlocked my car, and you guessed it, it simply slid off and smashed. No joke, I was seriously upset and it ruined my day and I was thinking whom do I know who can get me another (this was before the internet, hahahahahahahahahahaha. We can thank Al Gore for making our lives easier. Man, how it was nothing in the big picture, right?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?