Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 09:02 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dockof-bay
I did a quick google search. Now, if you can read Japanese

http://www.kspec.jp/silkblaze/catalo..._sd/index.html

I actually went down that route already and even emailed them to see if they had any more in stock. No luck :l
Old 08-07-17, 09:42 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Hit 161,000 miles on the ODO today. Officially 18,750 miles so far this year..
Old 08-08-17, 07:43 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
Not something I did today per se'. But I have installed the USA-Spec BT45-TOY bluetooth receiver behind my radio controls in the center dash of my 2003 LS. Previously I had the VIASTech MML USB stick media player. But I was getting tired of removing the USB, loading it with new files when i got new music, and re-creating the m3u's (and calculating the length of the new file and convert them to seconds). So I went with convenience and got the BT45-TOY for phone-bluetooth connectivity.

I'll probably write a review and comparison of both in the coming weeks as I get to use all the function and peculiarities of the BT45-TOY.

I am looking to do this install in the near future. Do you get track and title info on the display screen when streaming? Cant seem to find anything on here or youtube. Thanks.
Old 08-08-17, 07:44 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Decided the 16 year old floor mats were worth replacing.... Lucky to find OEM replacements at this point in time .......
Floor mats for the LS is all over Ebay from $65-110 new. I might just get a set and hold on to it for the future.
Old 08-09-17, 05:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Showed it to a colleague...it's interesting....seem that most see a LS430 as ho-hum, grandpa's car. But it does seem that when people see it in person, it's somehow recognizable as a high quality and maybe somewhat impressive vehicle? I've noticed this phenom myself....and even pulling into a dealership, seems like if I may use this term, the older gentlemen working there, will say it was the best ever built? lol
Old 08-09-17, 06:19 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Showed it to a colleague...it's interesting....seem that most see a LS430 as ho-hum, grandpa's car. But it does seem that when people see it in person, it's somehow recognizable as a high quality and maybe somewhat impressive vehicle? I've noticed this phenom myself....and even pulling into a dealership, seems like if I may use this term, the older gentlemen working there, will say it was the best ever built? lol
Almost every person who has been in my car always comments about how comfortable it is, They are always amazed it has reclining seats in the back and massagers. The car is extremely high quality in the build and finish, no rattles or wind noise and its a 02...
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (08-09-17)
Old 08-10-17, 06:06 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Grill refurbish

Finished with a small project that gives her a fresher look.

I removed the front grill and disassembled it completely. Took some wax and 0000 steel wool to the chrome trim which made it sparkle. Cleaned the badge and paint prepped the plastic grill fins completely. Primed and painted those a semi gloss black. Reassembled and put the kit back in the hood.

The original color of the grill itself appeared to me to be Mercury Metallic but it was sorely faded. The matte black accentuates the distinctive grill flare seen today as it connects well with the black louvers below the bumper.

A couple of rattle cans and a few hours watching paint dry has her now ready for the Colgan bra which fedex is delivering this afternoon.

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 08-10-17, 06:11 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ltd76gold
Finished with a small project that gives her a fresher look.

I removed the front grill and disassembled it completely. Took some wax and 0000 steel wool to the chrome trim which made it sparkle. Cleaned the badge and paint prepped the plastic grill fins completely. Primed and painted those a semi gloss black. Reassembled and put the kit back in the hood.

The original color of the grill itself appeared to me to be Mercury Metallic but it was sorely faded. The matte black accentuates the distinctive grill flare seen today as it connects well with the black louvers below the bumper.

A couple of rattle cans and a few hours watching paint dry has her now ready for the Colgan bra which fedex is delivering this afternoon.

Doug k
Sounds like something I need to do. Do you have any pics and/or DIY threads you used?
Old 08-10-17, 06:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting that they still make the bras (for cars).....I did get two nasty stone chips on my hood just a couple of months ago that potentially would have been prevented by one, but I thought that style was gone and folks went to a clear film years ago....
Old 08-10-17, 07:16 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had creaky door seals that would groan over even the slightest bump. I took the advice of the forum, purchased the Shin-Etsu silicone grease from Honda and applied it to all four doors.

Amazing results, all, and I mean ALL, the creaking is gone. It's basically a tube of magic.
Old 08-10-17, 07:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I ordered some Centric Premium coated rotors for the rears, will stock them for when I need to do them. Have the shims, have the rear sensor, need to grab some pads (will go ProActs) and the hardware kit (Carlson). I still have a ways to go...had to pull the trigger when I saw them for $29.xx on amazon. I'm willing to try the Centric Premiums. OE would be around $93 ea. plus shipping, sure I'd prefer them, but at the price, maybe not...

FYI (I have a feeling people noticed the price, it's saying ships in 1-2 mos.)

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-10-17, 07:57 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney94
I had creaky door seals that would groan over even the slightest bump. I took the advice of the forum, purchased the Shin-Etsu silicone grease from Honda and applied it to all four doors.

Amazing results, all, and I mean ALL, the creaking is gone. It's basically a tube of magic.
I agree, I bought a tube and used it on another car and it was great. Thanks for the tip I'll have to find it and apply it to me LS.
Old 08-10-17, 09:28 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Sounds like something I need to do. Do you have any pics and/or DIY threads you used?
To remove the grill.
With a 10mm socket:
Remove 10mm bolts from behind the hood. Two of the bolts attach the hood safety latch, the others (8 total I believe) are on the circumference of the grill.
Carefully remove the grill, easy with the hood up.
Remove the #2 Phillips screws from the chrome surround that attach the plastic grill to the surround.
Remove the badge, one more Phillips screw and carefully depress the plastic snaps to release the badge.
Clean all parts to be painted with rubbing alcohol. When dry, give the grill two coats of primer. I like to use etching primer but regular will do. Allow to dry 20 minutes between coats. Apply a coat of color...thin even coat. Apply second coat after the required 20 min. wait. Apply a third coat and let dry completely (usually an hour or more).
In between coats of paint use some wax and a 0000 ultra fine steel wool pad to clean the chrome surround paying special attention to the areas that the grill itself makes normal washing tough to get to.

The chrome trim has on its back where it comes into contact with the hoods paint, a thin rubber gasket. I cleaned mine with a bit of soapy water after cleaning the chrome itself.

Once the grill is completely dry attach the grill to the chrome trim surround.
Insert and snap into place, the logo badge. attach with the Phillips you took out from it. It is a different size screw than the other Phillips that connect the grill to the trim.

Insert the assembly into the hood opening. Carefully align the bolts to the safety release catch. If your bolts are a bit corroded, I use a bit of my spray polish on the threads. Also be aware that the washers under the bolt heads need to be free enough to allow for a snug contact. Check alignment of the grill and tighten the bolts evenly.

I did not take any before images but once I have the bra installed I'll shoot an after.

No doubt... really makes the front end look better than faded Mercury Metallic!
The link for the lingerie>>> http://www.autoanything.com/shop/bra

All the best!
Doug k
Old 08-10-17, 10:03 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ltd76gold
To remove the grill.
With a 10mm socket:
Remove 10mm bolts from behind the hood. Two of the bolts attach the hood safety latch, the others (8 total I believe) are on the circumference of the grill.
Carefully remove the grill, easy with the hood up.
Remove the #2 Phillips screws from the chrome surround that attach the plastic grill to the surround.
Remove the badge, one more Phillips screw and carefully depress the plastic snaps to release the badge.
Clean all parts to be painted with rubbing alcohol. When dry, give the grill two coats of primer. I like to use etching primer but regular will do. Allow to dry 20 minutes between coats. Apply a coat of color...thin even coat. Apply second coat after the required 20 min. wait. Apply a third coat and let dry completely (usually an hour or more).
In between coats of paint use some wax and a 0000 ultra fine steel wool pad to clean the chrome surround paying special attention to the areas that the grill itself makes normal washing tough to get to.

The chrome trim has on its back where it comes into contact with the hoods paint, a thin rubber gasket. I cleaned mine with a bit of soapy water after cleaning the chrome itself.

Once the grill is completely dry attach the grill to the chrome trim surround.
Insert and snap into place, the logo badge. attach with the Phillips you took out from it. It is a different size screw than the other Phillips that connect the grill to the trim.

Insert the assembly into the hood opening. Carefully align the bolts to the safety release catch. If your bolts are a bit corroded, I use a bit of my spray polish on the threads. Also be aware that the washers under the bolt heads need to be free enough to allow for a snug contact. Check alignment of the grill and tighten the bolts evenly.

I did not take any before images but once I have the bra installed I'll shoot an after.

No doubt... really makes the front end look better than faded Mercury Metallic!
The link for the lingerie>>> http://www.autoanything.com/shop/bra

All the best!
Doug k
I'm guessing you used a semi-gloss black color?
Old 08-10-17, 10:18 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Yes. I like Dupli-color found at most Napa's.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?