LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 10:59 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ltd76gold
Yes. I like Dupli-color found at most Napa's.
If you have any pics of the grill I'd love to see them. Its a shame they don't make the emblemless grille anymore.
Old 08-11-17, 09:53 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Swapped out my radiator

I just bought my '03 with 217k miles and I'm pretty sure the radiator was original. It was leaking coolant from a few locations and was running hot due to all the coolant having been lost. It looked nasty after I took it out!
Glad this is over with.

oh- I also cleaned out the MAF sensor and TB while I was in there. Definitely idles smoother.
Old 08-13-17, 10:05 AM
FredrikSWE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I finally had my LS on the road today Yeaj!! Recently Having wheel alignment done and all that, damn Toe in the back was -2 and +17 degress... Damnit no wonder why my back end had the life of its own.
Weds Bazreia wheels on, Clear led taillights on, BC Coilovers and megan toe-camber-caster in the back end...
The following 2 users liked this post by FredrikSWE:
Bhubb18 (08-13-17), JamesLS (02-18-21)
Old 08-18-17, 01:35 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Got inspired by another member to finally go find a black grille. Really wanted one that was badge-less but thought them too pricey and went with an OEM black.....
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS430 today?-img_0017.jpg  

Last edited by Duck05; 08-18-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 08:17 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With Painted and cleaned grillMy rattle can job...
I have not installed the bra as yet. While reading the direction.... they say to remove the bra every time you wash the car... not gonna happen.

I have to rinse this vehicle nearly every time i use it as the salt air is intense here in the RGV.

Anyway, I will fit it and then see just what is required to R&R the thing later.

Doug k
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS430 today?-20170819_095108.jpg  
Old 08-19-17, 08:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I have not installed the bra as yet. While reading the direction.... they say to remove the bra every time you wash the car... not gonna happen.

I have to rinse this vehicle nearly every time i use it as the salt air is intense here in the RGV.

Anyway, I will fit it and then see just what is required to R&R the thing later.

Doug k
Looks nice! btw where are you where you have to be concerned with salt air? I've never quite been able to understand why FLA cars are desirable when there are oceans on both coasts, but I guess as I understand it, the ocean needs to splash your car for it to be a real issue. Someone said if that happens, you see the corrosion right on the body itself, unlike in the northeast, you lift the car to see corrosion underneath....(haha I just googled rgv, rio grande? just made me think of the MS halfstep)
Old 08-19-17, 10:14 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

South Padre Island/Port Isabel TX.

Nice place, just hell on cars and equipment. Plastic rusts here, so says the locals...

That is why I'm into vehicles like the ls430. You can get one for so little and get so much for your $. But, when it dissolves, I'll find another one in five or so years.

Thanks for the kind words John,

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 08-19-17, 11:26 AM
Nphoops
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice grill! Where did you get it? Been looking at EBay ever since the deer hoof took out part of the grill.
Old 08-19-17, 01:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Doug k
If you intend to only use the hood portion of the car cover, it is a piece of cake to install and remove. Slips on an secured with a couple of bunge cords. The lower portion is a different story.
Old 08-19-17, 03:51 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nphoops
Nice grill! Where did you get it? Been looking at EBay ever since the deer hoof took out part of the grill.
The grill is original. All I did was a serious cleaning and then a paint job with rattle cans listed above. You may well find a wrecker that has the plastic grill for far less than new. Clean and paint... Like new!

Jay,
The hood only idea. That I will try! Thanks!

Do you leave yours on and wash it anyway? I can see taking if off every now and then but if the lower is as intense as the instructions lead to believe...

Thanks again
​​​​​​​Doug k

​​​​
Old 08-19-17, 06:54 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

The grill is original. All I did was a serious cleaning and then a paint job with rattle cans listed above. You may well find a wrecker that has the plastic grill for far less than new. Clean and paint... Like new!

Jay,
The hood only idea. That I will try! Thanks!

Do you leave yours on and wash it anyway? I can see taking if off every now and then but if the lower is as intense as the instructions lead to believe...

Thanks again
Doug k

​​​​
I only use mine for road trips. You never know what kind of roads (construction) you will run into. And, the interstates are crowded with truckers and they kick up a lot of crap at you. I had the habit of covering my car every day while working. Since we experience monsoon storms almost every day at 4 p.m. or so I had to wipe my car down every evening if I wanted to cover it the next day at work. I retired in 1999, so that is not a problem for me now. But, I am somewhat fanatical about the condition of my car and try to keep it nearly spotless and in near new condition. If something breaks or wears down I have it fixed.
Old 08-19-17, 07:51 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Before....
After.....
Close up....

After swapping in the black front grille the other day, the head lights were way over due to be cleaned and polished.... Accomplished that today; one before and then the ones after......

Last edited by Duck05; 08-20-17 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 05:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
After swapping in the black front grille the other day, the head lights were way over due to be cleaned and polished.... Accomplished that today; will take a photo tomorrow....
Funny, did the same thing last night. I pulled the bra off to clean the hood and polished the headlights.
Old 08-20-17, 05:26 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
If you intend to only use the hood portion of the car cover, it is a piece of cake to install and remove. Slips on an secured with a couple of bunge cords. The lower portion is a different story.
Quite true, as Jay stated. This is what I use. It covers the hood and protects the are most susceptible to rock chips
Old 08-20-17, 07:51 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Duck looks like your car has perfect paint. Very nice. My car looks good in photos but many small rock chips. Local high end shop wants 1k to repaint. Looks like it's touch up paint time.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS430 today?-1-4-front-rh-elm-copy.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?