LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 08:07 AM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
What is the mileage on your car. Mine has only 55K so it seems too early for bushing failure unless this is a known weak link.
160k. passenger side one had been replaced at some point by Lexus when the original owner hit a curb and damaged a wheel, wheel bearing and caster bushing. I assume the drivers side one was the original, and it was cracked and loose and just gone. it wasn't doing much!
Old 09-20-17, 07:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

We got the coilovers installed on the 2002 LS. It looks great and rides super smooth. The car is much lower than we expected though.
Old 09-20-17, 08:19 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mykvr6
Yeah. Honeslty I'm not sure why the LS430 bushings cost so much. As far as ride, my car rides better because my drivers side wheel isnt trying to do it's own thing. Most of my highway shimmy and vibration is gone too with the new bushings. I really need to pull one off again and try to compare it to the stock LS bushings. Supposedly the stock LS bushings are fluid filled. Not sure if the IS bushings are similar or just rubber. The EC bushings are supposed to be the same size but stiffer rubber. I might try a set just to see, to experiment and get some info for guys who still need to do this job. I could always unload one set of bushings to recoup some of my money since they wont have many miles on them. The RC bushings are almost the same price as the regular IS ones. Unfortunately my car still bump steers pretty bad and still feels pretty "loose" in the front end. So maybe the alignment needs to be checked and the drivers side front tire is wore pretty bad on the inside edge so maybe that adds to the loose feel. The new bushings definitely helped but I still got a ways to go. This car will probably end up with sport suspension shocks and some tanabe if I dont get stupid and just coilovers on it.
Yes, you probably need an alignment if it's wearing the tire like that. Definitely couldn't hurt.
Old 09-20-17, 08:20 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
We got the coilovers installed on the 2002 LS. It looks great and rides super smooth. The car is much lower than we expected though.
Pics please!
Old 09-20-17, 09:30 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
What suspension had you been running prior?
Old 09-21-17, 05:42 AM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by caverman
Pics please!
Yes pics! We wanna see
Old 09-21-17, 05:44 AM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Yes, you probably need an alignment if it's wearing the tire like that. Definitely couldn't hurt.
Yeah Im sure it does, and hopefully that's what is causing it to still feel loose. I'll probably get the front end in the air again and check all the bushings, tie rods etc and check for any loose bolts. Then I'll go get the alignment done if nothing else looks like it needs immediate attention.
Old 09-21-17, 05:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I have to be honest, I didn't feel any difference. The indie told me I would feel no difference, even though the existing bushings were cracked. I have seen on YouTube where a guy did my Nissan, and he could literally grab the arm and move it because the bushing was shot. This wasn't the case with my LS.

Long story short, I got an alignment and 3/4 wheels and the overall were way out of whack. Once that was done, the car was smooth and no vibration at any speed. Would have been interesting if I had done the alignment first, to rule out the bushings. But wth at least the bushings are new and OE whether it was truly needed or not (mine was 11 y.o. and 83k or so, dealer made it sound like it was an emergency to get them done @ $1400 so I said no thanks)....
Old 09-21-17, 08:53 AM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I have to be honest, I didn't feel any difference. The indie told me I would feel no difference, even though the existing bushings were cracked. I have seen on YouTube where a guy did my Nissan, and he could literally grab the arm and move it because the bushing was shot. This wasn't the case with my LS.

Long story short, I got an alignment and 3/4 wheels and the overall were way out of whack. Once that was done, the car was smooth and no vibration at any speed. Would have been interesting if I had done the alignment first, to rule out the bushings. But wth at least the bushings are new and OE whether it was truly needed or not (mine was 11 y.o. and 83k or so, dealer made it sound like it was an emergency to get them done @ $1400 so I said no thanks)....
That's how my drivers side wheel was, it would wiggle and move and the control arm freely moved if you grabbed it. I found the lexus service record where the passenger one was replaced and it was at around 60k miles, so the passenger side one had 100k on it but it looked fine and probably would have been fine for a while longer, it was not cracked and the wheel on that side didn't wiggle all around or move like the drivers side one did. So the bushings definitely last a while. Would be interesting to note when the drivers side one went bad, it had 160k on it I assume. Looking through the service receipts it looks like the PO was chasing a wheel shimmy for the last 15-20k, brakes were done, alignments, etc.
Old 09-21-17, 04:50 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Pics please!
Originally Posted by mykvr6
Yes pics! We wanna see
I am still waiting to see the pics from the spoiler that was installed so maybe we can see both the stance and new trunk spoiler????
Old 09-22-17, 07:15 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Pics please!
I will have to take pics. My sister has a few pics so I may have her post them.

Originally Posted by e60bmw
What suspension had you been running prior?
It was on stock suspension but I think one shock blew out. It was silky smooth but made a clunking sound. The sound is gone now and the handles better while still being smooth.
Old 09-22-17, 07:16 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

I may be getting my 05 LS out of the wheel repair shop today. I haven't drove it all month.
Old 09-22-17, 07:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Late last night I cleaned that fungus stuff that shoots spores from mulch, it's terrible. It can still be removed when new, but still a PITA...think I got most of it off. Tiny black dots....
Old 09-22-17, 01:51 PM
FredrikSWE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sold my Weds bazreia wheels... But then got something else, Mrr Hr3.

Old 09-22-17, 02:16 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by FredrikSWE
Sold my Weds bazreia wheels... But then got something else, Mrr Hr3.
Those wheels look great!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?