LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 01:44 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to replace the drivers side headlamp HID. Real easy after watching a couple different youtube videos.
Real simple just pulling out the entire headlamp housing to replace.
Old 01-04-18, 03:38 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I replaced the upper and lower driver's side control arms today. He also did the bushing.
It was making a clunk every time i went over any sort of bump. the dealer wanted to "start" with replacing my air suspension - that gave me pause because it sounded like they didn't know where it was coming from so I told them to wait on it. I took it to my independent mechanic and he said air suspension OK since not slammed to the ground.
Took it to him today for oem control arms and now sound is gone! saved about $800!
Old 01-04-18, 04:54 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally replaced transmission fluid (drain and fill) yesterday. First time doing it for my 2004 with 60k miles. Simple and easy task and feel better with what I have done. Plan to do two more over the next 10 days. BTW, it was very, very dark.
The following users liked this post:
Jkallinen (01-04-18)
Old 01-07-18, 09:59 PM
chrisleduc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Great info. What may also help with body roll elimination is Tanabe springs paired with KYB shocks. And of course the most important part will be to reset and retorque some suspension elements, especially upper bushings and lca bracket bushing. I found this to help re-enable the movement of suspension freely from the original weight point. I also observed that new bearings receive less pressure thus allowing smoother turns.
What would you estimate total cost to be for everything you’ve mentioned, plus the Ultra Racing sway bars? I don’t have the sport suspension, but would love to improve what I have.
Old 01-08-18, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Drove to work, it sat 4 1/4 says. That's not usually an issue in itself, but it did reach -2F so I was hoping it would start without issue, and it did.....

edit: 4 1/2 days it sat in the cold rain and snow...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-08-18 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 10:52 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleduc
What would you estimate total cost to be for everything you’ve mentioned, plus the Ultra Racing sway bars? I don’t have the sport suspension, but would love to improve what I have.
If you have extra money that you want and able to spend on a good suspension upgrade, then here is the invoice of total costs that you may incur:1)nf210 four springs $240 total2)KyB struts $400 total3) strut mounts $200 total4) diy install $0 total You will get a beautiful ride after you install these components. Again, if you torque your suspension according to manual and in the neutral position, you will enjoy sporty ride with lots of comfort.If you are looking for even more sportier ride, then you are welcomed to proceed with thicker sway bar installation. As RKw mentioned earlier, this is a very good option to improve handling, definitely no doubts about it. As for me, for now I just installed new rubber sway bar cushions and it works fine. What I also want to recommend for you, is to avoid (!!!) installing any polyurethane bushings in ls430 suspension, especially in such a critical location as rear LCA bushing. It will directly decrease the comfort level and you will start feeling road imperfections. At the same time, steering rack bushings can be switched to polyurethane for more steering responsiveness.

Last edited by ls430w140; 01-08-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 11:01 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I replaced the upper and lower driver's side control arms today. He also did the bushing.
It was making a clunk every time i went over any sort of bump. the dealer wanted to "start" with replacing my air suspension - that gave me pause because it sounded like they didn't know where it was coming from so I told them to wait on it. I took it to my independent mechanic and he said air suspension OK since not slammed to the ground.
Took it to him today for oem control arms and now sound is gone! saved about $800!
Question. Were you able to determine the source of clunk? Was it LCa fluid-filled bushing, lower or upper ball joint?
Old 01-08-18, 03:45 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Since the Arctic air has temporarily left us here in the Upper Midwest I went and did an oil change and also got the opportunity to take her in for a car wash. We both feel much better...
Old 01-11-18, 12:21 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I just ordered a set of Power-flow Splash Guards for my 2001. Amazon had a deal going on them today so I jumped in. I still have to install the winter tires on my '01 (I did my wife's '05 last week) so I'll install these when I do the tires at each corner...
I finally had time to install the winter tires and the Splash Guards. Took a bunch of pictures which I will post in a separate thread shortly...
Old 01-11-18, 12:30 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I finally had time to install the winter tires and the Splash Guards. Took a bunch of pictures which I will post in a separate thread shortly...
I thought I was really late, as mine went on just before the first snow. Working backwards, it was Dec. 11, because we went to the co. XMAS party that Friday and there was a snow storm...

Noticed I have a tiny nail in one of my summer tires, dang, here we go with running a tire shop out of my garage (I swore I was done with it).
Old 01-11-18, 12:32 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

I bought a battery tender for my 21k mile car and hooked it up because I'm not driving it enough.
Old 01-11-18, 12:41 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
I bought a battery tender for my 21k mile car and hooked it up because I'm not driving it enough.
I have an interesting experience with mine....have used it for years, the 1.25A model. I keep two batteries charged up with it (I do unplug it and switch). Neither battery was able to start a car when I put the batteries into my Nissan. I googled and others have said the same thing on the web. It made me wonder what the purpose was. I believe that it turns green when the voltage is proper, but for whatever reason, the battery does not have the proper amperage to start the car. Then, I got a Stanley from Walmart, charged these batteries as a test, and the car started right up. When the Stanley kicked in, it showed like 14A was being applied, and gradually went to float....

So, I have never had my BMW not be able to start using the battery tender (or without). But I had that odd experience with 2 additional batteries (assumed good) that I took out of cars and keep charged, where they were not capable of starting a car.

edit: a logical explanation would be that both batteries are in fact bad. They were good coming out of the cars, but the tender did not keep them good. But that's not explained by a Stanley battery charger charging them up and the car being able to start

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-11-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 01:49 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I thought I was really late, as mine went on just before the first snow..
Late is an understatement. We really didn't have much snow thus far, and the Pirelli's are new, so I didn't see an absolute need to install them until now. We're supposed to get a pretty good snow over the next week, so I figured this was the last best opportunity to install the Winters.
Old 01-12-18, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Late is an understatement. We really didn't have much snow thus far, and the Pirelli's are new, so I didn't see an absolute need to install them until now. We're supposed to get a pretty good snow over the next week, so I figured this was the last best opportunity to install the Winters.
Today we're heading up to 67F.....crazy, when it reached as cold as -2F last week.....I think I got some usage out of the snows so far...

What did I do to my LS......I washed my car 2X this week, so I beat the house I guess. I was thinking about the $20/mo. car wash--I think it was beneficial this week, because the car wash was nearly empty, even though the weather was good. Reason, I think, is so much runoff is everywhere, and the cars get dirty right away, plus, today, it's raining. But my 2X washing got salt off the car, when most cars are still caked with it. It seems to me that when a car gets salt on it, and an owner waits for the optimal time to wash it, it could be covered in salt for over 1 week....so I'll keep trying to get it off asap...
Old 01-12-18, 09:51 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Got my air suspension leveling issues sorted out with new sensors and adjustment. Also got my c1336 yaw rate calibration code sorted out using techstream.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?