LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 02:12 PM
PabloMEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrapped up my BT45-toy install last night. Works well, even replaced the front cigarette lighter with a USB/aux hook up. Looks stock.
Old 01-13-18, 08:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I hit 180,000 miles this morning. It seems like the miles roll by more and more quickly lately...
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS430 today?-2c879dd5-bfa7-46ee-96e3-0151fd2da58d.jpeg  
Old 01-15-18, 05:44 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Paid for these today
Old 01-21-18, 12:45 AM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up a set of 245/45/18 Bridgestone driveguard runflats for dirt cheap about 6 months ago and finally got to install them today.

Last edited by Fish; 01-29-18 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 10:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I went back under the hood, and cleaned and armor all'd (I am good with AA). Since the car was detailed when I bought it, the motor has always been kept clean ever since. Not touching it for 3 wks, it was quite dirty, but all is clean again...750 miles to go before a 6,500 mile oil change...need to use this Invisible Glass cleaner and microfiber handle to do my glass, but watching hockey now...
Old 01-29-18, 06:10 AM
OshnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Changed the transmission fluid, engine oil, and filters at 120K miles. Replaced 6 quarts of ATF WS fluid. Shifts and runs much smoother. Most time consuming effort was the leveling of the car with jack stands.
Well worth the effort.
Old 01-29-18, 06:24 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by OshnDoc
Changed the transmission fluid, engine oil, and filters at 120K miles. Replaced 6 quarts of ATF WS fluid. Shifts and runs much smoother. Most time consuming effort was the leveling of the car with jack stands.
Well worth the effort.
Good move on keeping it level. Did you use the cooler line?

Oh, and welcome to the club..
Old 01-29-18, 09:19 AM
OshnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Good move on keeping it level. Did you use the cooler line?
Oh, and welcome to the club..
Thank you, I have been around for a few years now, just not posting.
This forum is a great place for information. I used the "drain and refill" technique.
I started with a the cold transmission (don't like to work near hot exhaust pipes) drained the pan through the drain plug, measured and refilled with same volume (and temp of fluid). Closed all plugs, ran it for 5 seconds (figured in 5 seconds the pump would pull out all the new fluid and feed it in to the system). Drained and refilled the sump again twice using that same technique. Then went ahead and warmed up the transmission to proper temp and checked fluid level at overflow tube, topped off, rechecked and closed everything off. Runs very smoothly again.
Did not get all of the fluid exchanged but the result was a major improvement in fluid color and performance. Will repeat this in 30K miles.
Old 01-30-18, 05:00 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, engine temp sensor/washer and vacuumed/cleaned out some debris in the corners of the hood/trunk area.
Old 01-30-18, 12:25 PM
TheTiRider
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday - I changed the serpentine belt. It was chirping between 35-60 degrees. Fairly straightforward job. One minor word of advice for anyone attempting this - be extremely careful when leaning down by your radiator. The vent tube by the radiator cap is long and plastic. 15 year old brittle plastic snaps quite easily. Luckily because it's so long I just Dremeled it even and put the hose back on.

Then I did the "tune up in a can" by cleaning the MAF sensor. I bought a can of MAF cleaner. I disconnected the battery then took the sensor out and cleaned it the best could. Mine was pretty filthy. The glass(?) droplet thing went from caked black to at least being able to tell it's supposed to be red. I waited 30 or so minutes to let it dry to reinstall it. The car runs much better and my gas mileage has gone from late 60's muscle car to modern fuel injected V8. Because it was so filthy (and never looked completely clean) I may just go ahead and buy a new one.
Old 01-30-18, 01:48 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PabloMEX
Wrapped up my BT45-toy install last night. Works well, even replaced the front cigarette lighter with a USB/aux hook up. Looks stock.
Do you have any advice on how you ran the cords from the unit? Did you run the Mic, USB and Aux Input cord?

I am ready to put this in both our LS 430 once the weather warms up. The install looks very doable as long as panels pop out as they should. It looks like there is a natural spot for the unit to sit.

I saw one install where the cords came up into the space where the center ash tray is removed. Or into the passenger side. Thanks for any tips.
Old 01-30-18, 01:51 PM
OshnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PabloMEX
Can you install this in parallel to a VAIS Sirius receiver add-on to the OEM radio?
Old 02-04-18, 12:32 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Salvaged the door woofers from a totaled (and I mean savagely totaled, only straight panels was the right rear door and the bootlid, and none of the doors would close properly) IS250 this afternoon. They're not a total drop in replacement for LS door speakers (early ones anyway) but with a drill of a hole there and slot a hole here and they fit more than near enough, and crucially, they clear the window regulator. The 3 remaining door woofers in the LS were completely shot to hell, and one was missing altogether. I haven't checked for rear parcel shelf speakers or the condition of the sub, but that still works for the moment.

I love working on Toyotas. The only tools you need to strip the majority of the interior is a clip remover, a #2 Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm socket. Simplicity at its best
Old 02-06-18, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Looks like we're getting nice (47F) weather on Sat., and I just so happened to be nearing 6,500 on the current motor oil. For some reason, I'm now getting a warning from the info screen to take it to this dealership (blank)--on the oil I believe, but not the filter, when both are set to be the same. Good timing as the following two weekends I'll be in Canada for work, so knock it out on Sat....I know I could likely go much further than 6,500 on synthetic, but at least that's 15/50 = 3/10 or 30% further than the standard 5k change...

edit mother nature doesn't appear like she will cooperate....now I will likely do 6,800 and will have to shoot for a week from Sun. If I miss that, then it will have to be three weeks from Sun. and now it'll likely be 7,500

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-07-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 11:28 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New here. About two weeks ago, I had the timing belt changed for the first time. I actually signed up to ask those who had never changed it at 90k miles to see if they waited to 120k. Either way, I ended up giving it to the mechanic to change that and the water filter. Cost a lot. Hope it was worth it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?