LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 07:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

The armresgt if for the passenger's comfort. The driver is to have both hands on the wheel at all times.
Old 06-29-18, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is what I did yesterday...took the car on the road for a 110 mi. each way, round trip. This gave me the opportunity to go about 90 miles straight on cruise, 2X.

Like I had found in my many many trips from Albany to Montréal with my Maxima, the mpgs are not the same going up, and coming back.

Yesterday, going up was 26.x, and coming back, around 30.5. This would agree with an overall of around 28 mpg highway for my car.

My buddy thought I was kidding and had just reset the mpgs, because he had a 2000 LS and said he got pretty low mpgs but has a heavy foot. No, it was reset about 90 miles ago, once I reached 70 mph. And I was able to pretty much cruise without stopping.

I often wonder, why did Lexus rate it at 23 highway? I usually get around 27-28.

Old 06-29-18, 06:42 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Good to hear this! I am so looking forward to find out what is the mpg for our LS. We are going to drive about 1000 miles here soon. Our vacation/long distance vehicle has always been big SUV (Sequoia, Land Cruiser) that get 15 mpg. It will be so awesome to get 27-28 mpg.
Old 06-29-18, 06:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCT
Good to hear this! I am so looking forward to find out what is the mpg for our LS. We are going to drive about 1000 miles here soon. Our vacation/long distance vehicle has always been big SUV (Sequoia, Land Cruiser) that get 15 mpg. It will be so awesome to get 27-28 mpg.
I know maybe it's primitive by today's standard, where cars have an entire screen of data, but that's what I like about the LS430, where it is silently keeping the tank average. My tank average ended up being 24.9 by the time I filled her up this AM. That's because there is about 40 miles of stop and go mixed in. But if I have the opportunity to simply cruise, then I will reset the mpg AFTER I have reached my speed. This means it will reflect only highway, and nothing else. When I went to CT I got to cruise for really long distances, and so I am pretty confident about the 28 highway overall.

In this day and age you have 400 HP machines that can top that on the highway, but imagine how complicated the engines are....ours are simple. Simple is good for longevity!
Old 06-29-18, 11:23 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Make sure you have a clean/newer air filter. That's obviously one of the largest factors in fuel mileage in an otherwise mechanically healthy car - that and proper tire pressure.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (06-30-18)
Old 06-30-18, 05:43 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Air filter is in good shape

I do not like working in hot or cold weather, so woke up early today to do drain and refill the rear differential. Next on the list is drain and refill transmission fluid.
Old 06-30-18, 06:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Today? The LS430 gets a long deserved day off from DD duties, and the BMW is going on a road trip. Oh man I can't wait to drive it, and I've had it for almost 12 years (only put maybe 1,200 on it last year). Funny how something one has had so long, brings pleasure like that.

Dunno when/where but I became a WIX man at least 10 yrs. ago. maybe it was when Nissan moved oil filter production to China, from Japan. Because on that forum we all swore to seek out the "9E" filters, not the newer ones....so I use WIX air and oil filters on the LS430.

I once did the K&N thing and suspected it was snake oil because my mpgs would go down on the Nissan in as little as 5-9k. Finally someone got a hold of this 3 mil. bench test equipment and proved K&N's claims that it got better as it got dirty, were completely false. OE turned out to be one of the best. Seems like a lot of these things that were published and available online have all disappeared, lawsuits I guess. GM had a study describing brake noise and the different kinds, Toyota stated no benefit to synthetic motor oil, and BMW described why oil consumption on a brand new engine is fine. Can't find any of these things online today, but they were out there 15 yrs. ago....
Old 07-01-18, 09:13 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Today I replaced the top vinyl trim on the driver’s door with a part I found on ebay. The vinyl was a bit roached looking toward the back. I swapped the wood from my old part as it was better than the replacement. Also replaced the driver’s vent with an ebay part, keeping the original wood as well. That vent was a bit of a bear to get out. Basically had to destroy it, no problem as it was broken anyway. It looks like the vent wasn’t really designed to be removed. Even with multiple trim tools trying to pry at all the plastic catches I could not get them all to release. Assembly is simple though, just push it in and it snaps into place.
Old 07-01-18, 11:34 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yesterday, I had to get the inlet manifold off again to redo the connections for the knock sensors. In the end I just smashed the plugs, put the terminal on the pin and filled it full of urethane sealer, never to be removed again, except by force. In the process I pulled all the wires out of one of the coil plugs and my quick hash of a fix just created a big ole misfire, so I had the elec-chicken fix it up for me after work. And you know what? I think it might be fixed properly now. I haven't taken it on the highway to test it properly, but my fuel consumption is waaaay down than before and its a bit more responsive, so fingers crossed its fixed
Old 07-02-18, 01:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I ordered new rear tires.
Old 07-02-18, 04:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Drove it on my commute today for the first time in a week. Been driving the truck since I finished it, and giving the LS a rest.
What a pleasant change..
Old 07-03-18, 05:40 AM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Gave her a good bath and hand polished the headlight lenses. Noticed there was a lot of hard water stains on the hood, grill and bumper. Going to grab some vinegar later and give her the business. 😊
Old 07-03-18, 07:16 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4litre
Gave her a good bath and hand polished the headlight lenses. Noticed there was a lot of hard water stains on the hood, grill and bumper.
What did you use on the headlights?

Going to grab some vinegar later and give her the business. 😊
This sounds... uh... well never mind haha
Old 07-03-18, 07:57 AM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
What did you use on the headlights?

This sounds... uh... well never mind haha
I've used Turtle Wax fine scratch and swirl remover liquid compound.
If you know of something else please share.😊
Old 07-03-18, 09:37 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

I've used Turtle Wax fine scratch and swirl remover liquid compound.
If you know of something else please share.😊
Check out my thread about what I recently used here

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?