LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 12:08 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Good as time as any to bump this thread. Did most of this over the last couple of days...
  • Replaced the dead motor in my drivers side door lock assembly. Nice to not have to use the key to lock the car anymore.
  • Replaced the foam suspension around my drivers door speaker. Need to look into repairing the woofer next.
  • Drained and refilled the cooling system.
  • Upgraded the Nav mapset from 2004 vintage to the latest available.
  • Flushed out the brake system.
  • Replaced both weak trunk struts.
I've had this car for 2 weeks now and am addressing some needed maintenance issues with it. I'd like to get all of the systems operational and up to snuff before winter...
had my car 5 weeks now, paid dealer to do coolant and brake flush, selling dealer did front pads rotors sensor and bolts, with Oem, and driver door lock actuator.

I did the 4 struts hood and trunk $15x4, cabin air, checked air filter and was new. Bought 2016 Toyota nav disc on eBay for $13.

pulled tilt telescope fuse as telescope was straining. Replaced 12v fuse front, 3rd brake lamp.

ordered Oem missing tool kit for $45, and Oem mats $41 (ones in the car are worn), 3/4 hooks missing for mats...

wipers seem fine but ordered Valeo one firsts.

changed oil first time, had Mobil 1 laying around so I used it....WIX XP filter.

have not put snows on, it's too warm for them....I'm so tempted to,drive with a/s but I know better lol

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-06-16 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 12:40 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I did the 4 struts hood and trunk $15x4
What brand struts did you use? I ordered some Monroe struts for the trunk from Rockauto only to find that in their extended length I could not fit them onto the ball joints. Ended up sending them back and getting a set of StrongArm struts from Advance Auto instead.

Bought 2016 Toyota nav disc on eBay for $13.
You naughty boy you. I know someone else that did the same thing...

Oem mats $41 (ones in the car are worn)
I found the same deal on a set of mats and will use the old ones during the winter...
Old 11-06-16, 01:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

What brand struts did you use? I ordered some Monroe struts for the trunk from Rockauto only to find that in their extended length I could not fit them onto the ball joints. Ended up sending them back and getting a set of StrongArm struts from Advance Auto instead.

You naughty boy you. I know someone else that did the same thing...

I found the same deal on a set of mats and will use the old ones during the winter...
Hmmmm, I did get them from Rock Auto....I had a bit of trouble installing the hood....I had to fit the ***** on with the struts out of the car, then try to screw them in....could not install ***** on hood and fenders, then pop them on. But you had an issue with the trunk...Trunk was no problem but wish I had greased them in retrospect....it's so nice to not have the hood fall every time!
Old 11-06-16, 03:02 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Maybe you ordered a different brand than Monroe for your trunk struts. There were 3 or 4 different vendors IIRC. After I found mine didn't for I looked up the spec at Rockauto and saw that the Monroe strut was 0.1 inch longer than one of the others. Well that little bit made a huge difference for me...
Old 11-06-16, 05:56 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you tell when they are worn? I was looking at mine yesterday while changing the coolant and they look good. Car rides fine as far as I can tell...
I bought my replacements about a month after owning the LS just to have them ready. I got both oem for $110 off Amazon from a Lexus dealership with invoice. Just had them sitting in the garage till it was time.

first signs will be a steering wheel vibration... about 5k later stronger vibration and slight shake at idle. About 10k later inner tire wear slightly more than rest if aligned (much more if not) about 15k strong steering vibration 30+ lessons at 55+.... 15,001 miles an empty passenger seat will visibly vibrate at freeway speeds... check your **** cause you got 5k before blowing a front tire due to excessive inner tire wear.

I've had them and wanted to monitor true wear up to the point of potential danger zone before replacing. This post would be different if I weren't prepared though.
Old 11-06-16, 06:06 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I bought my replacements about a month after owning the LS just to have them ready. I got both oem for $110 off Amazon from a Lexus dealership with invoice. Just had them sitting in the garage till it was time.

first signs will be a steering wheel vibration... about 5k later stronger vibration and slight shake at idle. About 10k later inner tire wear slightly more than rest if aligned (much more if not) about 15k strong steering vibration 30+ lessons at 55+.... 15,001 miles an empty passenger seat will visibly vibrate at freeway speeds... check your **** cause you got 5k before blowing a front tire due to excessive inner tire wear.

I've had them and wanted to monitor true wear up to the point of potential danger zone before replacing. This post would be different if I weren't prepared though.
haven't asked the indie for a price and parts are not that bad, but this is a $1400 job at the dealer, right?

does this lack bushings?

​​​​​​​http://parts.lexusoftucsonspeedway.c...wd=&origin=pla

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-06-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 07:56 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you finding OEM mats for 41.00? ����
Old 11-06-16, 08:04 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS430cb
Where are you finding OEM mats for 41.00? ����
At least the grey ones were $41. It appears other colors are more expensive...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-06-16, 08:31 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Thank you for the link.
Old 11-07-16, 08:42 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Solved the steering wheel vibration problem. Had my tire shop work on the car. Car is now "Lexus smooth" from 0 -100mph. Yahoo!
Old 11-07-16, 08:59 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

haven't asked the indie for a price and parts are not that bad, but this is a $1400 job at the dealer, right?

does this lack bushings?

​​​​​​​http://parts.lexusoftucsonspeedway.c...wd=&origin=pla
I just replaced the bushings not the whole arm. My plan was to have a local shop that always does my work press them in but I didn't have time to get it done the same day. Dealer charged 3 hrs labor. For the price of bushings and labor you could go with a whole arm and save on the labor to press. You could also get the Figs poly already pressed with a core return cheaper and that's also a simple swap so labor is much less. The last two options you can do yourself but unless you have the right press and know how to use it... I'd leave that to the shop. My plan was to buy the Figs and flip the ones I had sitting but either way I'm glad it's done and I'm solid for awhile.
Old 11-08-16, 04:05 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS430cb
Thank you for the link.
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...-50010-11.html

A little bit cheaper. And I have a couple of sets. Worth it.
Old 11-08-16, 04:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...-50010-11.html

A little bit cheaper. And I have a couple of sets. Worth it.
Did you use them? I saw they got a F rating BBB, and multiple complaints where wrong parts were shipped and they blamed the customer (looks like at some point they stopped repsonding to the BBB). I also found a dealer that sells them for $19, but when I emailed them how much to ship (because the policy says if it costs more than the estimate, you pay), crickets. I don't want to order from non-responsive companies, even if it could save $20. I don't feel they deserve the business in this day and age....just me....
Old 11-08-16, 07:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I worked out the Mark Levinson with "Money for Nothing." Those 11 speakers did fairly well, it was bumpin' so hard, I was thinking the amp might give out....
Old 11-08-16, 08:01 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Did you use them? I saw they got a F rating BBB, and multiple complaints where wrong parts were shipped and they blamed the customer (looks like at some point they stopped repsonding to the BBB). I also found a dealer that sells them for $19, but when I emailed them how much to ship (because the policy says if it costs more than the estimate, you pay), crickets. I don't want to order from non-responsive companies, even if it could save $20. I don't feel they deserve the business in this day and age....just me....
My thoughts exactly. I was going to pull the trigger on that one but after reading the reviews decided against it. Didn't feel comfortable with their ratings, no pictures of the item, etc...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?