LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 03:38 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I did some cosmetic repairs on the rear end this weekend, a butt lift of sorts. The rear bumper always gets marks, no matter how far I park from other cars. Scratches, rub marks, odd chips. And on the undersides, road debris, curb scratches, etc.

First, I polished the trunk lid – 2nd time in 4 months. This time I also pulled the license plate, and repainted the license plate holder. Then a soft nylon brush on the dremel tool to polish the chrome insignia (and remove any residual polish schmutz).

Next, I attacked the bumper. I pulled the chrome trim strip (aftermarket), and cleaned out all the adhesive remnants. I then tackled the scratches , chips, and dents. Used a hair dryer to smooth out some dents (doesn’t remove them completely, but helped smooth them out), then sanded the wear marks down to the plastic, smoothing out the edges. I sanded the chips and gouges too, just to smooth them out. It’s a bumper, after all.

I then wet sanded the under sides of the bumper, from left rear wheel all the way around the back to the right rear wheel. I hen hit these same areas with the polisher, to smooth them out. I also pulled the chrome muffler tips, cleaned them up a bit in the process. I masked off the sanded areas, and put 3 coats of spray lacquer over the repaired areas. I also put a coat of spray lacquer on the underside of the bumper, and then a coat of clear. I plan to polish the paint on the repaired areas in a couple of weeks, after the paint is fully cured. Then install a new chrome trip strip.

Nice looking rear, and I didn't have to pay a whole lot.

The following 3 users liked this post by designdude:
Chucky1 (02-08-20), pmesfun (02-09-20), Wheelyneat (02-08-20)
Old 02-08-20, 03:44 PM
Wheelyneat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good! Glad to know there are other people as crazy as me 😊
Old 02-09-20, 10:04 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

I washed it after the getting the tires replaced, dirty wheels looked bad after handling marks. Got too close with the pressure washer and made a rock chip worse on the front bumper, will touchup later.

Old 02-09-20, 10:08 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Which tires did you go with? I'll be replacing mine Tuesday when I get back into town.
Old 02-09-20, 10:39 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

I got a used set of Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires with 90% tread for $280 installed. Decent tires. I don't drive alot and didn't want to spend the $860 Discount Tire quoted to get another set of Michelin Premier A/S tires. I can use the savings to replace the timing belt and associated components in a few months.
Old 02-09-20, 07:39 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Today I installed the USA Spec BT-45 Bluetooth kit. It was a pretty straightforward installation, but I decided to get a little “fancy” and install the included microphone in the overhead console for a stealth installation. That added a bit of time but now that it is done I’m glad I decided to go that route. I was having frequent issues with the original Bluetooth system connecting with my phone, so now I have a reliable phone interface and really outstanding sound quality.

Jeff
Old 02-09-20, 08:12 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLS430
Today I installed the USA Spec BT-45 Bluetooth kit. It was a pretty straightforward installation, but I decided to get a little “fancy” and install the included microphone in the overhead console for a stealth installation. That added a bit of time but now that it is done I’m glad I decided to go that route. I was having frequent issues with the original Bluetooth system connecting with my phone, so now I have a reliable phone interface and really outstanding sound quality.

Jeff
Nice!
How did you route the wire for microphone in the overhead console for a stealth installation? How long is the wire?
Old 02-09-20, 08:48 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wire is quite long...maybe 12 feet? From the overhead console, I ran the cable along the leading edge of the headliner and down the driver’s side A pillar and behind the lower panel where the footwell light is mounted. From there I found an opening to the cavity behind the stereo head unit.
Old 02-10-20, 08:51 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Well, today I decided that I will no longer be looking to upgrade / improve / change my car suspension as the project has been fully and successfully completed - not only that I reached the ideal balance of comfort / sporty ride, but I got assurance that all the items has been taken care of, I hope for a long time.

By the way, the new front bushing in the control arm surprisingly improved high speed driving - even the strong winds don’t even bother the car anymore lol. So, whoever still has any steering shakes or wandering in the road, take a look at this item (but also of course you need decent LCA ball joints - I ll recommend Proforge, or OEM).

Currently, I can’t be more happy driving my car as it feels very solid, smooth, and throttle-responsive (thanks to a new Eco / Normal / High Throttle controller). I achieved fantastic transmission operation, decent acceleration, fast braking (thanks to Powerstop brakes), which all together is amplified by a really pleasant exhaust sound.

For this year, my plans are to find a solution to a new audio system - I will either go with bt 45 route or rather replace the whole thing with a large monitor from AliExpress with tons of functionality. Also, I am planning to install a cute looking spoiler on the trunk - nothing oversized or ridiculous - just something small but with JDM touch. Any recommendations are welcomed.

Old 02-11-20, 03:18 AM
Chucky1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Well, today I decided that I will no longer be looking to upgrade / improve / change my car suspension as the project has been fully and successfully completed - not only that I reached the ideal balance of comfort / sporty ride, but I got assurance that all the items has been taken care of, I hope for a long time.

By the way, the new front bushing in the control arm surprisingly improved high speed driving - even the strong winds don’t even bother the car anymore lol. So, whoever still has any steering shakes or wandering in the road, take a look at this item (but also of course you need decent LCA ball joints - I ll recommend Proforge, or OEM).

Currently, I can’t be more happy driving my car as it feels very solid, smooth, and throttle-responsive (thanks to a new Eco / Normal / High Throttle controller). I achieved fantastic transmission operation, decent acceleration, fast braking (thanks to Powerstop brakes), which all together is amplified by a really pleasant exhaust sound.

For this year, my plans are to find a solution to a new audio system - I will either go with bt 45 route or rather replace the whole thing with a large monitor from AliExpress with tons of functionality. Also, I am planning to install a cute looking spoiler on the trunk - nothing oversized or ridiculous - just something small but with JDM touch. Any recommendations are welcomed.
Which throttle controller did you go with if you don’t mind me asking?
Old 02-11-20, 03:34 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 445 Likes on 367 Posts

I installed some new fog light bulbs but I’m disappointed by how dim they are. I think I will go back to HID fog lights when I get more money.
Old 02-11-20, 08:12 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucky1
Which throttle controller did you go with if you don’t mind me asking?
I went with Apexi. It did make a big difference plus there is no longer an acceleration lag.
Old 02-11-20, 08:22 AM
Chucky1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Apexi. It did make a big difference plus there is no longer an acceleration lag.
Nice. That's what I'm looking for. Something to get rid of the fly by wire lag.
Old 02-11-20, 01:25 PM
beercan
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

How much does it cost? Does it affect the mpg or reliability in any way?

You are using sport springs?
Old 02-16-20, 03:00 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

Near Spring time wash (was 71 degrees today) and better pics of the new wheels.....

Waiting on the center cap decals (coming from the Ukraine 🇺🇦 of all places!).

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?