LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 02:42 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
We're working from home now, but I took the BMW to work 2 weeks ago, and the roads were so bad a manhole ripped off one of the jack pads. The way it goes is the OE is $29 list, and $23 online but the places that sell it at that price, need $49 for free ship.

I shopped high and low--a $6 OEM one is only for the sedan, dang! Finally, I found an aftermarket by a German co. for $9, at Rockauto. So where is this going lol

I used the $9.99 shipping on rockauto to buy the LS430 2 front rotors (Centric I swear they are just as good as OE even better in that the black paint is on the vanes and inside hub), a radiator cap (Stant $2), and a radiator petcock (just in case $2), and a Denso air filter (decided to save $4 over my usual WIX). Didn't install anything but now have them in my stock. For brakes I have front/rear new rotors and also front pads/3 rear pads. The 3 rear pads was a mistake but oh well.....1/2 rotors was not new but I got a new replacement next day (don't you hate people who return used things as new?)

edit p.s. those who don't know what I mean by jack pad see below. I kinda wish the LS had them. They avoid broken pinch rails etc. Again with German great to have OEM and aftermarket alternatives, for those of us who don't have to have OE (OEM is almost always the same co. that does the OE)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1433813&jsn=10
Nice find I think I paid like $40 for the jack pad on my e36 sheesh lol
Old 03-17-20, 02:44 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
Day 1 of our 24hr - 3 week lockdown installed my Tom's carbon fiber radiator cover on the LS

Only seen a handful of those.... Super rare!!!! Nice find!
The following users liked this post:
Bsavage (06-08-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
hmmmm I think it is 10%. Is yours not 93, because you are in Calif.?

Sometimes, I think if we premium drivers were smart, since we have 93 and no car requires 93 (if Calif. can only have 91 then cars can only require 91), we would blend in 87 to get 91 and save some money (c'mon the math is not hard lol). Because we're burning the difference between 93 and 91 out our tailpipes.

And premium can be 20-70 cents more than regular, it's a game and a sham! 20 is hard to find, usually 30-35 at a Costco.
I’m actually in Oklahoma. 93 octane is pretty rare around here and it’s extremely expensive compared to 91 octane. It’s usually around $5 a gallon for 93 versus under $3 for 91.

A lot of gas stations here offer pure 100% gas, so I only use pure gas. My LS got terrible gas mileage when the dealership I bought my car from used 10% ethanol gas from 7-11 in it.

I have mixed 87 and 91 octane on my 1999 ES300 a few times. It saved a little bit of money, but gas was cheap at the time.
Old 03-18-20, 12:00 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

I filled up my tires, vacuumed the interior, and took some pictures with my sister’s LS.
Old 03-18-20, 08:12 AM
Tostada
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Boredom kicked in and I decided to paint the original grill black. Definitely like the look. Might need to do the same with the big fin grill.

Old 03-18-20, 08:18 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Tostada
Boredom kicked in and I decided to paint the original grill black. Definitely like the look. Might need to do the same with the big fin grill.

Looks good, how many coats did you do? I need to redo mine as it has chipped in quite a few spots... either that or try and use something thicker...
Old 03-18-20, 10:32 AM
Tostada
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Looks good, how many coats did you do? I need to redo mine as it has chipped in quite a few spots... either that or try and use something thicker...
I did 6 coats of Duplicolor peelable paint. I used Gloss black as I didn't want the matte finish. It looks good but I will eventually get it professionally painted gloss black.
Old 03-18-20, 10:36 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Only seen a handful of those.... Super rare!!!! Nice find!
Thank you! def was a labor of love being patient hunting for it
Old 03-18-20, 05:02 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Retired Sony Cassette Adapter and...

Installed BT-45 TOY

Amazon Amazon

USA SPEC BT45-TOY Bluetooth Phone, Music & AUX Input Kit for Select 1998-2014 Toyota & Lexus Models

Old 03-18-20, 08:50 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Cool

Originally Posted by Tostada
The black grille looks really good.
Old 03-19-20, 04:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

it's been sitting since Friday evening, but my wife is taking it out today. I told her to be careful. We're following the rule to act like you have a virus (the social distancing). I feel fortunate my employment allows (and encourages) it. I feel for those who are getting hurt by the situation.
Old 03-27-20, 10:23 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a new set of Michelin Premier installed a few weeks ago and so far I'm a happy camper.

Just wanted to give a quick update because a few people have been asking: amp/sub installation is now 11 months old and still sounds awesome.

Check video link below for subwoofer test/sample. A little flex action from an 8 inch sub.

Last edited by vangis350; 03-27-20 at 10:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bsavage (06-08-20)
Old 03-28-20, 03:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

She got 19 gal of 93 at Costco on Thursday, for $2.29. And this is in PA where gas is generally expensive relative to NJ and DE. Been basically a paperweight since 3/13, being driven literally 3X since. We can't have it all but with things being forgiven left and right, wouldn't it be a great gesture for auto insurance to credit premiums for 60 days. We are seeing the best and worst of humanity right now. One of the worst cases that comes to mind is that hospital owner (based in LA) in Phila. who would rather have the building remain empty, rather than work with the city to use it as a surge facility. Empty. Owner wanted fair market i.e. full retail for the city to utilize it. It's great during times like these to have the Gates and Dysons of the world and all the first responders, instead, and not worry about those people who do things like the hospital owner.
Old 03-28-20, 08:40 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Ordered up some Raybestos Pads and Rotors that were on clearance @ Rock Auto. Also bought new caliper mount bolts to swap out during the install.

Picked up the OEM Toyota / Lexus Check Wire jumper so I can do a few trans fluid drain / fills over the next few months to cycle out the old fluid (128k).
Old 03-28-20, 12:47 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

So at 2 in the morning, I decided to go out to the garage and install the new ECU. I jumped the OBD2 to let the ECU "learn" my keys for 30 minutes. Afterwards, pulled the jumper and gave it a go, and... It cranked right up! My girlfriend hopped in for a nice little night drive around the baron roads here in town.

First off, in the remapped "Normal" mode, improved throttle response and power is definitely noticeable. It feels very much like the stock "Power" mode, only a little fresher and a little meaner. You can certainly feel that there's a little more oomph and life present over the stock "Power" mode, and definitely considerably more than the stock "Normal" mode.

Speaking of the "Power" mode, that's the one where all the magic happens. Greatly improved throttle response, so much so that sometimes it's a bit touchy. If you're not careful, when you leave off from a light, you're liable to snap your neck. LOL Also, under moderate throttle input, once the car shifts into 2nd, it feels like the throttle is increased more, like stabbing the throttle again. A bit on the aggressive side. Odd, but doable.

Extra power?... Well it could be more of the effects of the increased throttle response, but it does in fact feel quicker in 1st through 3rd gear. Once you get past 80 mph, it really doesn't feel much different from stock. Maybe there's a little extra oomph there, but it's hard to tell via butt dyno. There's definitely seems to be more torque, especially in the sub-60 mph range, which is nice and is perfect for city driving.

Lastly, in "Power" mode, up-shifts are improved. Not only are they quicker, you can also feel them. Down-shifts are also quicker and sharper. Not drastically so, but again, noticeable.

All in all, for the little bit of money spent, it's a good upgrade and I would do it again. I would say it's worth the money... Short of doing a full stand-alone computer.

And just because, a few pics...

Christmas tree of lights while doing the 30 minute immobilizer relearn...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?