LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS 430 Bluetooth & Droid Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 05:43 AM
jdp1955xx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 LS 430 Bluetooth & Droid Maxx

Dear all, I just upgraded my phone to the Droid Maxx. I have had Droid phones for at least a couple of years and have had no problems pairing them with my LS 430.

However, with the new Droid Maxx, the phone was easy to pair with the car, but it only connects intermittently.

I have ordered a new phone under warranty which hopefully will solve the problem, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-21-14, 06:30 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a htc droid phone and had no issues but when I got a new samsung galaxy s4 I have intermittent connectivity issues with the bluetooth in my ls430. I think the newer bluetooth versions aren't 100% compatible with the older bluetooth in our cars even though bluetooth is meant to be backwards compatible with old versions. From looking on the net it seems quite a few people with all different makes and models of cars are having similar issues.
Old 04-21-14, 09:54 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You can go to mylexus and find a list of current cell phones that are compatible with your specific car.
Old 02-10-15, 10:31 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdp1955xx
Dear all, I just upgraded my phone to the Droid Maxx. I have had Droid phones for at least a couple of years and have had no problems pairing them with my LS 430.

However, with the new Droid Maxx, the phone was easy to pair with the car, but it only connects intermittently.

I have ordered a new phone under warranty which hopefully will solve the problem, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

Thanks, Jim
Jim, the problem lies in an incompatibility between the Lexus firmware and how Android implements Bluetooth. Lexus wants to blame Android, but in reality it's a problem with the car's software/firmware as other manufactures do not have the same problem with the same phone. I went through a total of 4 phones on my 13 GS from different manufactures and all have the same problem. 2 Droid Maxx's, 1 Droid Turbo and now a Note 4.

Supposedly this problem will be fixed when Android 5.x reaches your phone.
Old 02-10-15, 12:07 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Sorry to dash anyone's hopes- but OS5 may not solve your issues. I have a Nexus 5 and had Lollipop (os 5.x.x) since it was official. This has not improved. Here's tips to ensure it will connect successfully more often. Don't have ANY other BT devices on (like other headsets, speakerphones etc) make sure your phone already has the BT feature turned on and that you've already programmed it into your Lexus to begin with. Not sure this next step matters- but I removed any other phone profiles from the stereo. I then make sure I'm not on a call, turn on the car and WAIT till I get the bluetooth successful connection message before I begin using my phone.

If some of the above is not followed, I can see the call come in on my dash- but audio is still through the phone- and even if I chose on the phone during the call to toggle speaker or ear on phone THEN bluetooth- it will still not transfer the audio to the car stereo.

I feel your pain, it's very frustrating- and it's not just lexus. I've not tried an apple iphone on our cars- don't have one.
Old 02-10-15, 12:08 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

nothing is wrong with your phone....just get a different car...

Kidding. As some others have mentioned, it is just a finicky Android compatibility issue...
Old 02-10-15, 01:59 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not so sure that it is the car. The iPhone 5S with iOS8.1 works perfectly.
Old 03-01-15, 12:56 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
...the problem lies in an incompatibility between the Lexus firmware and how Android implements Bluetooth...
Soooooo, I suppose there is no firmware update available for our cars that would make the bluetooth 100% compatible with today's technology?

Mine's an 06 ML, and I've got the exact same issue. I was very seriously considering upgrading to a better phone, figuring that would solve the problem for sure. Glad I didn't before discovering this thread.
Old 03-01-15, 04:22 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
Soooooo, I suppose there is no firmware update available for our cars that would make the bluetooth 100% compatible with today's technology?

Mine's an 06 ML, and I've got the exact same issue. I was very seriously considering upgrading to a better phone, figuring that would solve the problem for sure. Glad I didn't before discovering this thread.
I had a Blackberry that worked flawlessly with my 04's Bluetooth. Then I got the iPhone 6. I was having issues. We ended up having to reinstall the OS as a new phone to completely wipe it and now it works perfectly. Maybe you want to try that on your Android before spending a lot of money on new phone or car.
Old 03-02-15, 10:06 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400

My impression is Lexus will only fix new cars, but won't go back to fix older cars, especially when they can point the blame at someone else like google (aka android 4.4.x).
Old 03-03-15, 03:02 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Yeah, sad to say- but the best alternative may be to get a bluetooth speakerphone / visor mount like those from Jabra and others- sadly, I don't feel noise cancelling or the microphones are anywhere near as good as the Lexus OEM equipment.

The other option, though, I've yet to try is a BT headphone adapter like this:
Amazon.com: Jumbl™ Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling & A2DP Audio Streaming Adapter/Receiver - Black: Electronics Amazon.com: Jumbl™ Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling & A2DP Audio Streaming Adapter/Receiver - Black: Electronics

This has it's own microphone- so you can attach this to the end of a tape cassette adapter and have the audio come through your stereo and speak aloud to be heard. with a splitter- you can retain line output to an audio device for music.

I've a few items on order to try such nonsense.
Old 03-11-15, 10:01 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bluetooth connectivity between my LS430 and my former Motorola DroidX on Android 2.3 with Verizon was perfect.
My Samsung Galaxy S4 on Android 4.3 with T-Mobile connects about 70% of the time. Usually wrong numbers connect perfectly, but the wife calling me from her iPhone 4 never connects on bluetooth in my LS430.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.