LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 06:57 AM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring

Now here is an interesting one. The wife had driven the car for the last few weeks. When I got it back, I noticed that it was riding rough. Not too bad, but enough to have me concerned, When I took it the shop they said that for some reason pistons 1, 3, and 5 are not firing correctly. What would cause that? Car been in the shop over a week, and he is still confused. Suggestions? Thanks, in advance.
Old 07-13-14, 10:16 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try and check the coils of the Spark plugs.
Or even replacing the spark plugs with new ones.

Our 3UZ-FE engines are very well built, and I have never heard such a problem with them. Hopefully it's something that has to do with the electricity.

Good luck man.
Old 07-13-14, 04:27 PM
AndreasMet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yotee1642
Now here is an interesting one. The wife had driven the car for the last few weeks. When I got it back, I noticed that it was riding rough. Not too bad, but enough to have me concerned, When I took it the shop they said that for some reason pistons 1, 3, and 5 are not firing correctly. What would cause that? Car been in the shop over a week, and he is still confused. Suggestions? Thanks, in advance.
What is the year and mileage. Also did the shop give you a list of codes. Usually you would have more codes than just 1,3,5 misfire.

While it might not get you an answer, the above info may help.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-14, 06:53 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What "shop" works on your car? A dealership? Pep boys, etc? Do u use premium gas?
Old 07-14-14, 11:23 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't mean to be flippant but sounds like the shop does not have adequate expertise to work on the your LS - likely ignition and /or timing related - coil pacs or sensors throwing off timing. Unlikely for multiple coil pacs to fail at same time. Or fuel injectors possible but less likely. Check to see if there are other error codes being produced.
Old 07-14-14, 03:51 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your input. Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions:

tHeKiNg911: Yes, they are checking that this week.

AndreasMet: 2001, 150K miles. No, shop has not given me a list of the codes. I requested that today.

Pamperme: Local shop. Will tow to Lexus later this week, if no answer found. She was using mid grade fuel. Not sure if that caused the issue. She ran it before without issue.

Jabberwock: I agree. Appointment with local Lexus dealership is scheduled for later this week. I just hated to go there with their rates being so high just to look at it BEFORE they even work on it.

Everyone once again, thank you for your advice. It has not gone on deaf ears. I was just trying to take the less expensive route. Will keep you inform as to the results.
Old 07-14-14, 07:43 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions:

tHeKiNg911: Yes, they are checking that this week.

AndreasMet: 2001, 150K miles. No, shop has not given me a list of the codes. I requested that today.

Pamperme: Local shop. Will tow to Lexus later this week, if no answer found. She was using mid grade fuel. Not sure if that caused the issue. She ran it before without issue.

Jabberwock: I agree. Appointment with local Lexus dealership is scheduled for later this week. I just hated to go there with their rates being so high just to look at it BEFORE they even work on it.

Everyone once again, thank you for your advice. It has not gone on deaf ears. I was just trying to take the less expensive route. Will keep you inform as to the results.
Hope u get it all sorted out and at a decent price. ALWAYS as Lexus for a discount. Once it's all sorted out, a little advice: use the recommended premium fuel, only let Lexus touch it from now on. Our LS 430 is literally the most reliable car ever built. Properly taking care of it along the way pays dividends later on down the road.
Old 07-17-14, 12:11 AM
jackjumper
Driver School Candidate

I would take the time and remove your timing covers and see if your timing marks line up. Since only the odd cylinders are misfiring it could very well be a timing issue with that cylinder bank.