LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Getting ready to do timing belt on '04 LS430.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 06:43 PM
jackjumper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to do timing belt on '04 LS430.

I just wanted to garner some input from fellow LS owners. I've been reviewing my service manual on how to change the timing belt and it does not seem like that bad of a job but I have never worked on an all aluminum engine so stripping threads is one of the things I am worried about. Is there anything else I should be aware of before diving in? Much appreciated.
Old 07-15-14, 08:49 PM
AndreasMet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my first timing belt change on a 2002 VW Passat. That was a difficult job being new to the process. But taking it slow and paying attention yielded a great final result. At the time I had no more engine experience than changing oil. I had one broken bolt which I had to get a tap to get out.

Onward to Lexus, I just took the motor out of a 2003. What I can tell you is that the Lexus is far easier to work than the VW. You have tons of room (few tight places). There are some online documents that show the process. The online Chilton is kind of garbage, but it can guide you there.

If you can't find a LS430 tutorial I would look at earlier models of Lexus V8. That can still get you the right ideas.

As long as you line up the timing marks, kept the engine top dead center, you will be good to go.

Don't worry about it being an aluminum engine. These things are built to be easily repaired.

Good Luck.
Old 07-15-14, 09:05 PM
jackjumper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndreasMet
I did my first timing belt change on a 2002 VW Passat. That was a difficult job being new to the process. But taking it slow and paying attention yielded a great final result. At the time I had no more engine experience than changing oil. I had one broken bolt which I had to get a tap to get out.

Onward to Lexus, I just took the motor out of a 2003. What I can tell you is that the Lexus is far easier to work than the VW. You have tons of room (few tight places). There are some online documents that show the process. The online Chilton is kind of garbage, but it can guide you there.

If you can't find a LS430 tutorial I would look at earlier models of Lexus V8. That can still get you the right ideas.

As long as you line up the timing marks, kept the engine top dead center, you will be good to go.

Don't worry about it being an aluminum engine. These things are built to be easily repaired.

Good Luck.
I saved a whole bunch of stuff including the timing belt procedure from my two day TIS subscription. I'm going to order the premium kit from Sewell next week and order myself a couple of torque wrenches since my last one was stolen. I appreciate the input.
Old 07-15-14, 09:06 PM
AndreasMet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackjumper
I saved a whole bunch of stuff including the timing belt procedure from my two day TIS subscription. I'm going to order the premium kit from Sewell next week and order myself a couple of torque wrenches since my last one was stolen. I appreciate the input.
This will help you a lot.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ent-ls430.html

I don't know if the LS 430 has a TDC screw. On the VW Passatt you could order a $30 part that screwed under the engine. Once you got the motor TDC you screwed it in and nothing could rotate. If the LS 430 has the same process then don't skimp, buy the part and use it. This can save you a lot of nervous energy. If a tool is available to lock the cams in place either buy, rent, or build the tool. I made a tool out of bolts and a 2x4 to save $100. May not apply to the Lexus.

Replace any part that is even close to worn. I had the accessory belt tensioner fail after the timing belt job. I got stranded and paid a lot to get towed back home. Could have avoided that by replacing the $40 part. The upside is I was able to replace it in 5 minutes. Had I not done the timing belt procedure I would have paid someone $300 for the same work. So when in doubt, throw it out and replace with new.

Once you do the timing belt it opens your eyes a lot to what you can do, and how much you can save.

Last edited by AndreasMet; 07-15-14 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 09:08 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info right here already: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ent-ls430.html

Ha, double post ^^
Old 07-15-14, 09:30 PM
jackjumper
Driver School Candidate

I think as long as I line the belt marks up with the crank/cam marks i should be fine. Why is everyone using this paint stripe method?