LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My new-to-me '05 Sport. A love affair begins...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 07:15 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Any idea how many Sports where produced versus non sports? I looked and call Lexus but never got real far.
Old 09-11-16, 07:20 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - my 2 year old post has been revived!

Well, 25 months on and I am still enthralled with this vehicle. I've had ZERO issues which is exactly what I wanted when I bought it.

Tire noise - I've not driven other LS430's without the sport suspension so can't comment on the comparison. however, this is still the quietest car I have ever driven. The low profile 18" tires do generate a little noise over rough surfaces but seriously, it's nothing to be worried about. I think of it as auditory feedback on the road surface. The original Michelin Primacy tires (replacement set) are installed and I like them.

Sport Suspension - I have learned how hard I can push into corners and quite frankly, it's quite a bit further than I would normally want to go in normal use. This car can corner HARD with some body roll, it's a big car after all but it always feels stable.

I can confirm that my car has Sports Suspension badges on the panels between the front wheels and the doors to let you know (although wannabees can always buy them and stick them on). My dealer looked up the VIN and confirmed it was fitted as a factory option and the service manager took a look to make sure too.

I have NEVER seen another LS430 with the SS badges in real life, and there are quite a few LS430s in this part of Florida so I think that it was a pretty uncommon option. Most likely more buyers elected for the luxury options with air suspension.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by FlaPhil; 09-11-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 10:16 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I’ve looked at/discussed/driven a lot of 430’s in the past 3 years. I’ve driven one SS and have seen 2 advertised. "Sports" Suspension on a high end luxury car? Guess it wasn’t popular in the Sacramento area.

Tire Noise - On my 04 SS, I’ve currently got 17’s with Michelin Premiers. Other than noticeably better handling, not much difference in comfort from my ’01 (regular suspension). I plan to use the 18’s it came with. That may have some impact. There are several brands of low profile tires that come with a “comfort” layer to reduce noise w/o impacting handling. Local Goodyear dealer offers several high end high performance tires. I can have a set mounted. Not quiet enough? Don’t like the handling? Free exchange to another model w/in 30 days. We have Michelins on all of our cars. They carry them too so that's a option.

I’d appreciate feedback from other people that have 18’s. Also suggests on tires for the 18's that are a good combo of high perf/quiet.

Sports Suspension - haven’t had my ’04 SS long, but am surprised how well this car can corner. Sure it’s a big car but the SS does very well. I like my ’01 but there’s the body roll on freeway off ramps. Adding the factory SS rear sway bar to a regular suspension is an easy upgrade that might have some stability benefits w/ virtually no downside.

I’ve seen one 430 advertised as having SS. No badges. When I asked, he admitted he’d added 18’s (painted spokes) and that was it.

I am curious how the UL “sport” mode compares. Has anyone had experience w/ both the UL and SS?

Whatever the suspension, we all know that 430’s are great cars.
Old 09-15-16, 12:48 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Randy B
You will learn to love the car very well. The Sport Suspension is wonderful.

Randy B
Tire recommend?
Old 09-15-16, 01:06 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
Wow - my 2 year old post has been revived!

Well, 25 months on and I am still enthralled with this vehicle. I've had ZERO issues which is exactly what I wanted when I bought it.

Tire noise - I've not driven other LS430's without the sport suspension so can't comment on the comparison. however, this is still the quietest car I have ever driven. The low profile 18" tires do generate a little noise over rough surfaces but seriously, it's nothing to be worried about. I think of it as auditory feedback on the road surface. The original Michelin Primacy tires (replacement set) are installed and I like them.

Sport Suspension - I have learned how hard I can push into corners and quite frankly, it's quite a bit further than I would normally want to go in normal use. This car can corner HARD with some body roll, it's a big car after all but it always feels stable.

I can confirm that my car has Sports Suspension badges on the panels between the front wheels and the doors to let you know (although wannabees can always buy them and stick them on). My dealer looked up the VIN and confirmed it was fitted as a factory option and the service manager took a look to make sure too.

I have NEVER seen another LS430 with the SS badges in real life, and there are quite a few LS430s in this part of Florida so I think that it was a pretty uncommon option. Most likely more buyers elected for the luxury options with air suspension.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
The car came w 18s and badly worn MXV4s. Very noisy but handling is so much better. I'm looking for a replacement tire that's a good blend of freeway quiet and handling. Primacy is a great tire but no longer available. Have a spare set of 17s w/ Premiers so installed. Quiet smooth and.....soft. Handling is a little better but nothing close to the 18's. Am considering 18s w/ Premiers (which seem to be the new "go to" tire) but maybe still too soft? Goodyear Eagles don't sound like a good choice. Pirelli keeps getting mentioned in here. Comments?
Old 09-15-16, 01:26 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
The car came w 18s and badly worn MXV4s. Very noisy but handling is so much better. I'm looking for a replacement tire that's a good blend of freeway quiet and handling. Primacy is a great tire but no longer available. Have a spare set of 17s w/ Premiers so installed. Quiet smooth and.....soft. Handling is a little better but nothing close to the 18's. Am considering 18s w/ Premiers (which seem to be the new "go to" tire) but maybe still too soft? Goodyear Eagles don't sound like a good choice. Pirelli keeps getting mentioned in here. Comments?
I have no idea on the replacement tire and didn't even know that the Primacy had been discontinued. Michelin says that the Premier A/S is the replacement so that is where I would start. No experience on the 17" since I have the 18" installed on my vehicle. I would image that the lower profile would contribute to added firmness though.
Old 06-07-21, 03:27 PM
jallen4
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

You go out of your way to compliment the dealer's operation yet you are considering where to get the first service done. I have and have had multiple Mercedes and have always used the dealer for service for the peace of mind. They do a great job! Is it a money problem?
Old 06-08-21, 12:58 PM
science
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! Now time to bring it to the audio shop and install a double din headunit, backup camera, new door speakers and an amp. Now you have android auto & carplay! The sound will be better than the UL trims.
Old 06-08-21, 01:00 PM
science
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I’ve looked at/discussed/driven a lot of 430’s in the past 3 years. I’ve driven one SS and have seen 2 advertised. "Sports" Suspension on a high end luxury car? Guess it wasn’t popular in the Sacramento area.

Tire Noise - On my 04 SS, I’ve currently got 17’s with Michelin Premiers. Other than noticeably better handling, not much difference in comfort from my ’01 (regular suspension). I plan to use the 18’s it came with. That may have some impact. There are several brands of low profile tires that come with a “comfort” layer to reduce noise w/o impacting handling. Local Goodyear dealer offers several high end high performance tires. I can have a set mounted. Not quiet enough? Don’t like the handling? Free exchange to another model w/in 30 days. We have Michelins on all of our cars. They carry them too so that's a option.

I’d appreciate feedback from other people that have 18’s. Also suggests on tires for the 18's that are a good combo of high perf/quiet.

Sports Suspension - haven’t had my ’04 SS long, but am surprised how well this car can corner. Sure it’s a big car but the SS does very well. I like my ’01 but there’s the body roll on freeway off ramps. Adding the factory SS rear sway bar to a regular suspension is an easy upgrade that might have some stability benefits w/ virtually no downside.

I’ve seen one 430 advertised as having SS. No badges. When I asked, he admitted he’d added 18’s (painted spokes) and that was it.

I am curious how the UL “sport” mode compares. Has anyone had experience w/ both the UL and SS?

Whatever the suspension, we all know that 430’s are great cars.
Im planning to go with Continental DWS when its time. Too bad they don't make DW anymore, I'm in the south so no need for snow rating.
Old 06-09-21, 03:54 AM
charliecla
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 05 Sport

Welcome to the club. We have been driving Toyota/Lexus products for years. I have a 2004 LS430 with Sport Suspension, White with Grey interior. I've had it since 2007.
66,000 miles. We also have a LX570 and a Tundra. You can't beat these cars!

Old 06-13-21, 12:15 PM
tiffany16
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Can a ask an irrelevant question? When some here say "sport suspension", does that mean the same thing as the "F sport" in the 460s"? I remember when I bought mine, I was also introduced to the F sport version. The moment I opened the door, it disgusted me. The interior was all black with red as a secondary colour. Together with the pedal shifters, it looks like a Nissan Skyline race car in the streets of Japan. I did not spend even a minute in the cabin before deciding a F sport car was not for me. The front grill was also black. Everything was black. This is why I am really impressed by the beige interior if OP's car is indeed a F-sport.

Old 06-13-21, 12:51 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 178 Posts

The "sport suspension" was an option on the LS430, the car is otherwise identical to the regular LS430. The "sport suspension" just tweaked a few suspension components for a more sporty, firmer ride. These models have a very small "sport suspension" badge on the side of the car in the front fender, visible in the photo above. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the F-Sport car.