LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 09:00 PM
erse
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whenagain
I just wanted to drop in and thank OP and all the other posters for the quality content on this thread!
I replaced the tilt motor on my 2005 LS in 2017 (with help from another thread here), and the telescoping motor this weekend. My new genuine OEM Lexus motor came from Japan via eBay for ~$209+tax to Texas. The part was actually made in Q4 of 2023, so it is great to see they are still making parts for these models.
Can you post or send a dm with a link to where you found it for that price? That's about half what I'm seeing for cost here in the US. I don't have a problem with mine currently but was going to disable it just so it doesn't give up in an unusable position. At the price you found I'd be tempted to buy one for future proofing and keep the function activated with peace of mind that there's one in a box in the garage waiting if I have an issue.
Thanks
Old 02-18-24, 10:18 AM
whenagain
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erse
Can you post or send a dm with a link to where you found it for that price?
Sure! eBay Link.
If you search for part # 89232-50050 (or whichever is yours, without make/model) you will see a handful of new-stock listings around $200-220 from Japan, and some from UAE.
The following users liked this post:
erse (02-18-24)
Old 02-19-24, 01:46 AM
Freddy12
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
When i removed the fuse I'm not able to tilt or retract the wheel with the **** on the side.. I guess removing the fuse leaves the wheel in the last place sat before fuse removal.
Yes. That's what I did since I would like to avoid the dealer or a new motor,but can someone explain again what do I ask the dealer to program so that the fuse isn't removed and the wheel retains some functionality?I am trying to understand what this process accomplishes since the dealer is the only way to get this done. I don't think that it's a very expensive job especially if dealer is doing something else at the same time.
This is the only thing bothering me in an otherwise perfect drive that I intend to keep for a while to come.
Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Webby
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled my tilt motor out today. Neither the tilt nor telescope motors have been working since I bought the car a few months back. I thought they were still working as they both squeaked a little and tried to move, but that’s about all they could manage.
Given the noise, I assumed the motors were still okay, and the lead screws and bushings must have dried out and were seizing. So, I opened up the steering column, planning on spraying a bunch of lithium grease in there but to my surprise they were still well-lubed and moving freely, so the motor was cooked after all.

It really bothers me that these are so expensive, and I thought SURELY there are just some brushes or something in there that I can replace. I also can’t find anyone who has posted pictures of the internals of these things.

So, I tore it apart.

I have limited knowledge of electric motors, but I have no idea what type of motor I'm looking at here. Someone with more experience than I may be able to comment, but my best guess is it’s a stepper motor of some sort?
It looks like the stator coils are contained entirely within the ring PCB covered in Kapton tape, and my guess is the opposite spoked side are commutator pads.
There is also what looks like an encoder underneath the plug carrier PCB that sits on top of the assembly which makes me think it isn't a stepper?
ChatGPT and reverse Google image search haven't helped in identifying it.

Anyway, as I suspected, the internals were completely full of what looks like graphite dust which kept falling out as I removed bits. The entire internals were full of it.
I unstacked each of the plates and found the remains of a graphite brush ring on the portion that interfaces with the 'commutator pads'.

Which, of course, anything with a non-replaceable graphite brush is a consumable. Thanks, I hate it.

Out of spite, I'm going to try and reapply a graphite ring on this plate.
My plan is: buy a sheet of 1 or 2mm graphite sheet from Aliexpress, cut it into a ring somehow, and find out what adhesive sticks graphite to metal. I'll sand the commutator pads smooth again and hope for the best. Repeat for the telescope motor if by some miracle it works.

This will probably be a waste of time. Wish me luck.

Another note. Now knowing how exactly these fail, anyone thinking of buying one of these second hand should definetly think otherwise. These motors have a predetermind lifespan and it would be almost impossible to know how far through that lifespan it is when purchasing.

P.S. This thread has been super helpful. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Motor components

What I'm calling the stator and commutator pads

Spring plate that compresses the stator and graphite ring layer

The graphite "bush" (whats left of it)

You can see the the pads started galling from the metal on metal contact once the graphite ring failed completely

Last edited by Webby; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine still work good *knock on wood* but I’m wondering if I should change them out when I replace my steering wheel next month. I’m getting a reupholstered wheel made. Or I can just wait until they go bad….
Old Today, 05:22 AM
Freddy12
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Webby
I pulled my tilt motor out today. Neither the tilt nor telescope motors have been working since I bought the car a few months back. I thought they were still working as they both squeaked a little and tried to move, but that’s about all they could manage.
Given the noise, I assumed the motors were still okay, and the lead screws and bushings must have dried out and were seizing. So, I opened up the steering column, planning on spraying a bunch of lithium grease in there but to my surprise they were still well-lubed and moving freely, so the motor was cooked after all.

It really bothers me that these are so expensive, and I thought SURELY there are just some brushes or something in there that I can replace. I also can’t find anyone who has posted pictures of the internals of these things.

So, I tore it apart.

I have limited knowledge of electric motors, but I have no idea what type of motor I'm looking at here. Someone with more experience than I may be able to comment, but my best guess is it’s a stepper motor of some sort?
It looks like the stator coils are contained entirely within the ring PCB covered in Kapton tape, and my guess is the opposite spoked side are commutator pads.
There is also what looks like an encoder underneath the plug carrier PCB that sits on top of the assembly which makes me think it isn't a stepper?
ChatGPT and reverse Google image search haven't helped in identifying it.

Anyway, as I suspected, the internals were completely full of what looks like graphite dust which kept falling out as I removed bits. The entire internals were full of it.
I unstacked each of the plates and found the remains of a graphite brush ring on the portion that interfaces with the 'commutator pads'.

Which, of course, anything with a non-replaceable graphite brush is a consumable. Thanks, I hate it.

Out of spite, I'm going to try and reapply a graphite ring on this plate.
My plan is: buy a sheet of 1 or 2mm graphite sheet from Aliexpress, cut it into a ring somehow, and find out what adhesive sticks graphite to metal. I'll sand the commutator pads smooth again and hope for the best. Repeat for the telescope motor if by some miracle it works.

This will probably be a waste of time. Wish me luck.

Another note. Now knowing how exactly these fail, anyone thinking of buying one of these second hand should definetly think otherwise. These motors have a predetermind lifespan and it would be almost impossible to know how far through that lifespan it is when purchasing.

P.S. This thread has been super helpful. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Motor components

What I'm calling the stator and commutator pads

Spring plate that compresses the stator and graphite ring layer

The graphite "bush" (whats left of it)

You can see the the pads started galling from the metal on metal contact once the graphite ring failed completely
I understand your frustrations. This has been the only sore point in my 2002.
However, when I noticed that the motors appeared to be showing signs of going after 12 months of ownership, and having seen the various threads,I adjusted the steering to my preference, removed the fuse , and have learned to live with the fact. I absolutely love this car , and with only 141,000 km ,am determined not to let this bother me one bit. I have no intention of selling and perhaps one day may get around to it, definitely not with a dealer. This simply doesn't detract from the experience of ownership of one of the finest automobiles ever built. I do wish you the best in repairing or replacing and have also found the thread extremely helpful.
​​​​​​
​​​​​