LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What am I looking for in a GOOD conditioned UL 430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 12:12 AM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I looking for in a GOOD conditioned UL 430?

What I mean is, I've never sat in a nice UL. I've sat in one that sadly the leather was wayyyy too worn for anyone to buy EVER, and I didn't have the keys- so I couldn't try the gadgets... but I hope to check out a really nice (by the photos anyway) one this weekend, and when first inspecting a UL- what am I looking for?

This is a terrible post below and all over the place I know- but without knowing any of this- I'm going into this blind. I want the UL primarily for the extra leather bits- everything else is extra- but again, if I'm not getting a "steal" of a deal- I want/expect it all to work when I drive away at the very least.

I'm also driving a good distance to pick it up- so I won't be able to go back to the dealer I bought it at later.

It would really bother me to spend around the top end of KBB value to find just about any of the electric features not working- but to that point- HOW do they all work? Reclining seats (approx how far?) Air conditioned seats- do you feel air- or do they just feel cool to the touch- do you hear a motor? When I was in an 04 non UL the front cooled seats seemed to do nothing at all... How about the parking sensor, or the massaging rear seats- do they simply vibrate a bit and where?

I've read plenty about the air suspension and that it'll fail- I'll check the service records for current maintenance, and I plan coilovers when something expensive fails.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 10-08-14, 12:18 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right, there are a bunch of gadgets to check on a UL. A full checkout should be done in daylight as well as night. Did you know the headlights will move up and down when the car is first started as part of the self leveling system. Turn the HID lights on first, then start the car. Both should move. They also turn left and right when the car is moving above a certain speed (like 15mph or something). They move more when turning left than turning right, this is normal.
The cooled seat is pretty subjective. You should hear the motor whirr when the car is idling and the A/C is off or on. Off will make the noise easier to hear, just start with both seat blowers off and turn them on (then off) one at a time. Wherher of not you actually feel cooler depends on how sweaty you are. Most people seem to not notice a difference but I do feel it cooling here in FL, especially on my lower back . It does take a while to feel, not immediately when you turn it on. It just takes cooler air from under the seat and blows it up through the cushion. When the cushion flattens out those passages can get blocked.
Parking sensors are pretty annoying, mine are always off. They beep and the center screen display changes to a car with green/yellow/red distance indicators. Mine were sensing cars next to me in slow traffic and alerting, then the display gos back to the map. I don't want the map but I like the radio display always on so I can see the song and artest on the XM radio. Always defaults back to map. very frustrating. If you need parking sensors get a smaller car Now the back up camera is very helpeul. It turns on in reverse and goes back to map when in back in drive. There is also a night mode in the camera when the headlights are on the display colors are a bit washed out so it is supposed to see better at night. The reverse lights provide enough illumination back there so I usually back up first, then turn my headlights on, just a minor annoyance.
Seats recline quite far, I think they will touch the back seating area if the front seat is anywhere comfortable for an average human. The seats also have lumbar bladders that you should be able to feel on your lower back when you blow them up. The seat bottom moves for/aft independant of the seat. The shoulder harness moves up/down by motor as well as headrest up/down is an electric motor.
The headlight washers should squirt. Does it have the radar cruise or precollision system? even more stuff to check out on the road.
Steering wheel should tilt/telescope up and away when the car is turned off and back into memory position when turned on.
Both side mirrors should tilt down in reverse when the switch is either R or L, not middle.
All lights and LEDS should work, door handles, dash switches, door switches are all illuminated or backlit.
Center dash vents should swivel when that mode is used on the climate control page.
All functions and pages on the center display should work.
Check all the door shades work up and down smoothly. Back shade should go up/down smoothly when car is shifted into and out of reverse.
Check for original glass all around, some aftermarket glass causes poor or non-operation of rain sensing wipers. Bring a squirt bottle to test this out. rain sensor is up neat the rear view mirror. Also, OEM glass is allegedly quieter on the UL. All weather strips should be in tact or expect wind noise.
Me personally I would stay away from the UL that is 10 years or older. I like the extra space in the trunk from not having reat A/C. I don't want kids in the back to change the radio or fell like they have any control over anything. Who is going to get a massage back there anyway?

Last edited by chunkyda; 10-08-14 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 12:28 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot of info...
Old 10-09-14, 09:09 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

take a look at autotrader or cars.com to find a nearby listing with UL. there should be a few as UL's are not hard to find. try going to a Lexus dealer to see that a UL should be like.

I'm not sure where in CA you're located but if you can't find one, I might be able to let you check out mine.
Old 10-10-14, 12:39 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by writes123
take a look at autotrader or cars.com to find a nearby listing with UL. there should be a few as UL's are not hard to find. try going to a Lexus dealer to see that a UL should be like.

I'm not sure where in CA you're located but if you can't find one, I might be able to let you check out mine.
Really appreciate that offer actually. I work in Torrance, and commute from Encino- no stranger to road trips either- if you wouldn't mind meeting up to kick tires- I would love to try each others' ride just as a point of comparison- just even as a passenger I think it'd help to let me know what to expect from a well maintained factory setup. Not even sure what I'm expecting to feel different when I do put it in sport mode.

I actually don't have a lot of faith in dealerships knowing the difference between plain working and "should feel like" ... maybe the service writers aren't as OCD as the rest of us.

I DID pick up last night a 2004 430UL. Very nice in and out. But the suspension feels more taught than the base grades I've test driven...not sure if it's the Nexxen? (cheap?) new tires they had put on, or the 17" rims, but I was expecting the air suspension when in non sport mode to be as plush as I remember the base grade cars. It's great in that it's not sloppy body roll wise- but I do feel a bit more road noise/feel than maybe I'd have expected- but this thing is a keeper.

I think the passenger front door lock solenoid is shot too...It may be the only gizmo that doesn't work- so no huge deal.