LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16 | 07:06 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Very great thread. I just bought P7s from tire rack for my LS. They aren't the PLUS version, but I just had them installed and it's like having a different car. They are 2013 tires, got them at tire rack for 69 apiece. Not too bad!
What is the exact title for the P7 at Tire Rack? That is a good deal.
Old 04-25-16 | 07:21 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tradosauru
What is the exact title for the P7 at Tire Rack? That is a good deal.
Mine are actually late 2013 build date not 2012

225/55R-17 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON 2012 PRODUCTION
Old 04-27-16 | 11:19 AM
Ralo14
Rookie

I run these tires with no complaints but I have one with a sidewall bubble that I'm going to have to replace
Old 05-06-16 | 12:45 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Thanks to everyone who has been contributing to this thread. I did not read every page, but I got through enough of it to make a decision on my new tires. I decided to give the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus a try; just picked up my 01 LS430 from the installer. My last two sets of tires were the tried-and-true Michelin MXV4 and I got 59K and 63K miles out of them with routine rotations. Truth be told, I probably went a little too long on the last set!

I heard that the Pirellis wear faster than the Michelins; they were about $30/tire cheaper than the Michelin Premier A/S (including the current $70 rebate) so if I get somewhere around 50K miles I will be happy.

I loved the way my car felt with the Michelins so the Pirellis have a lot to live up to! I am not a car aficionado by any stretch but I know what I like - hopefully the Pirellis come through. I will come back in a couple of months with an update. Thanks!
Old 05-06-16 | 02:26 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

still loving the pirellis p7 on my sc400.
when my premiers need changing on my 430 i may put a set of pirellis on it.
Old 05-08-16 | 06:56 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Oldsports........your data will be good for the thread coming from the beloved MXV4s...We have had several converts in recent months and I havent heard any complaints on the Pirellis. You did well by getting the Plus. From about a year of comparing this tire to the MXV4 the benefits u should notice are

no flat spotting
low roll resistance
more quiet
not noisy over expansion joints

The tires get even better after about 2k miles of break in.......

What are your initial thoughts of the tire as you drove away from the shop and have been driving around since u bought them?

FYI.....I run mine on my 04 LS430 at 32 psi .....when I got mine installed the tire shop had them pumped up to 35 because it was cold outside and they knew it would lose a few pounds.
Old 05-10-16 | 09:49 AM
S1w99
Rookie

Default Toyo tire update

Just wanted to give an update after a couple months with these tires. I was going to get the P7's but the tire guy I respect had me try these with no risk for return and getting the P7's.

These Toyo's are amazing. Invisible quiet. smooth as glass and just feel perfect. Can't imaging how they could or another tire could feel better. I'll update again in 6 mo. or so.
Old 05-10-16 | 10:30 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by S1w99
Just wanted to give an update after a couple months with these tires. I was going to get the P7's but the tire guy I respect had me try these with no risk for return and getting the P7's.

These Toyo's are amazing. Invisible quiet. smooth as glass and just feel perfect. Can't imaging how they could or another tire could feel better. I'll update again in 6 mo. or so.
The Toyo Versado brand?

I put a set of these on my 2013 Malibu and really like them.
Old 07-05-16 | 05:16 PM
dapper505
Driver School Candidate

Default P7

I researched three tires:
Conti Pure Contact
Cooper CS5
P7
Decided to go with the P7. Mich does not represent value for the price. Many other tires at lower prices perform just as good. Pirelli has excellent name recognition and is a superior tire to the mich original equipment. got them for 111.00 per tire which is a good deal and 10 per tire for mounting. mich would have cost over 800. went to lexus n they wanted 880. mavis n discount tire n rack wanted around 750-8. i did my homework n the P7 at that price is the way to go. mich just didnt hold up, 60,000 warrantee but got only 40,000 on the tire. P7 is 70,000 and has excellent reviews. better than mish primacy. will get them installed tomorrow.
Old 07-05-16 | 07:07 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Dapper.......you wont be disappointed. I finally had my first rotation on my P7s......I have 7k on mine and they are a wonderful tire. This thread has had its highs and lows....but the bottom line is that everyone who has bought the P7s have loved them....the price is right....and you will notice they are quiet....smooth...and have low roll resistance.

Please report back once you have a few miles on the tires.....also with your first impression.
Old 07-06-16 | 04:46 AM
dapper505
Driver School Candidate

Default P7

OK will do. I read some of those comments and saw the drama from the M people. Made me wonder if they own a large amount of stock or are part owners in the company.
Old 07-06-16 | 06:58 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ha......ya man....those were some dark days here on the thread
Not many people have read all the way through that craziness......I did learn that tire threads are subjective and everyone has their opinion. Also that we are not all looking for the same attributes from a tire....so these threads can get way out of hand. I spoke with the same people regarding headlights and spark plugs with no issue at all.

But yes....it blew me away when a M person would just come on and say M is the best tire hands down no comparison no way there could be another tire on the planet....MMMMM MMMM MMMM gotta be M....literally hated the fact that another tire could even be considered. Would not consider any of the facts about the Ps and would only try to find any negatives....surely it was driving them crazy as the Ps racked up literally 100s of positive reviews with at the time zero negative reviews.......but the M people wouldnt accept that.....I would say over and over that Ms are very good tires....but the M people wanted to suck the life out of me and conquer the P tire!!!!!

Anyway.....in the end spring arrived and everybody put there weapons down.........several people bought the Ps and raved about them....and that was all it took.......the M people just faded away.

On a serious note....I think if the MXV4 was still available that would have been a real fair battle. So many happy LS430 owners w MXV4s.....also there have been several happy owners with Premiers yet they paid a Premier price...and from talking to a few owners of Premiers....they arent as quiet as the P7s.....however it is a trade off because they will give u better wet traction if u decide to take a turn at 75mph on a rainy day

I am confident you will love the P7s........there are several other good choices out there as well.....certainly cant go wrong with Michelin......Pirelli is at an affordable price point, has great reviews, and is a great tire for our car.
Old 07-07-16 | 07:49 AM
asujithdr
Rookie

Great thread. Thanks for the wisdom and experience of all.

Mine is a recently purchased 2004 LS430 on Kumho. Tire size 245/45/18. Missing the "tomb silent" (or a closer) ride I longed for.

MXV4 are gone off the market, P7 plus is not available in 18 inch in Australia. Options are P7 (not the Plus), premier A/S or primacy 3 ST. What I want is silence as much possible.

What are your thoughts on P7 compared to P7 plus in terms of road noise?

I read from reviews that Premier A/S is not up to the MXV4, and gets noisy after getting worn.

And Primacy 3 ST has good reviews in Aussie site in terms of quietness. Tire rack has no rating. Can anyone got this tire share the experience.
Old 07-07-16 | 08:06 AM
Lac
Driver

My LS has Premier shoes. Very quiet as Primacy.
Old 07-07-16 | 02:10 PM
asujithdr
Rookie

Lac, how many miles are you now on the Premiers? Are they having the same quietness as in the beginning?

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430