Error Code P0753 Shift "A" solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 08:11 AM
slaurey01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error Code P0753 Shift "A" solenoid

Originally Posted by Tom57
At 130K miles and with an existing transmission problem, the trans fluid has likely never been changed. You tried a trans flush only without also changing the known faulty solenoid, and that didn't work. You could not change the filter, and run the risk of having a clogged filter, which would likely leave you thinking you need a new transmission. Many here do preventative maintenance when things are apart for other reasons. Since they'll already have the trans pan off, why wouldn't you change the filter too, just to save a couple $? Why not eliminate the filter as being a possible contributing cause of the trans problem, especially since the original trans fluid was probably burnt?
Tom57 you are right the fluid had never been changed and was burnt! I had the filter and fluid changed on 10/05/14 but didn't changed the solenoid due to different people telling me the burnt fluid may have been causing the solenoid to act faulty. Then the car was driving fine until this week.
Old 12-11-14, 08:16 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by slaurey01
When I brought the car it had 80,000 miles on it, one owner and he pretty much kept all the maintenance up on it via Lexus. The car now has 136,000 miles give or take because I'm not in my car right now. I have for the most part kept my maintenance up on the car but never had the fluid change (I'm a women so sew me lol). When I the light first came on I was being told by several people to change the fluid because it was practically burnt and that the fluid being burnt was probably the reason for the code coming up. I changed the fluid and filter and the car was driving fine for about a month and the light came back own with the same code.
As Joshua and others have suggested, changing the solenoid is likely to solve the issue. The solenoid went bad in the burnt trans fluid. (Be prepared for other trans solenoids to possibly go bad in the future - see Joshua's parts list above.)
Old 12-11-14, 08:32 AM
slaurey01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BradTank
If you're not experiencing any of the symptoms of a bad tranny except for the Check Engine light flashing a code, I would definitely look at just replacing that specific solenoid before I replaced the entire transmission.

It sounds like the dealership is not interested in making this repair, I'd ask around and see if you can find an honest transmission shop, which unfortunately isn't always easy.

I'd also change the fluid a few more times with a few "drain and fills". It may just need to have all the old fluid cycled out.

You've got nothing really to lose by just waiting and seeing before putting in a whole new transmission. Who knows, it could go a few more years even with the code.
The car drives fine but once the light comes on it drives sluggish like the tranny slipping. The tranny mechanic told me that's the computer making the car run in safe mode. Once he reset the computer the car drives back fine. This is why I'm being told replacing the tranny doesn't seem necessary.

The dealer told me that changing the solenoid never works and that it's a waste of my money and they would not recommend it. I found a tranny shop and the guy seems to be honest (but you never know) he told me it is a gamble when changing the solenoid but he would do that before replacing the tranny. He stated he had a solenoid problem on his car before and that he cleaned the solenoid as some people suggest doing that due to the price of the solenoids but he stated it didn't work and he had to replace the solenoid.

I sure hope so I really don't want to get a new car right now. I love my car it's fully loaded and besides minor maintenance it has been good to me.
Old 12-11-14, 08:36 AM
slaurey01
Driver School Candidate

As Joshua and others have suggested, changing the solenoid is likely to solve the issue. The solenoid went bad in the burnt trans fluid. (Be prepared for other trans solenoids to possibly go bad in the future - see Joshua's parts list above.)
Tom57 I printed out the parts list Joshua provided. I sure hope not but if that's the case wouldn't it be better to just replace the tranny as all the solenoids total up to $2,000.00. Also is it true that you can really tell which solenoid is bad even with the error code stating its shift A solenoid?
Old 12-11-14, 08:52 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slaurey01
Tom57 I printed out the parts list Joshua provided. I sure hope not but if that's the case wouldn't it be better to just replace the tranny as all the solenoids total up to $2,000.00. Also is it true that you can really tell which solenoid is bad even with the error code stating its shift A solenoid?
You can obtain the solenoids at a substantial discount online at Sewell Lexus as a Club Lexus member (register online at Sewell with your Club Lexus member info.), or Lexus Parts of South Atlanta.

The solenoid is damaged from the burnt trans fluid. The P0753 MIL code is for a specific solenoid, that the tranny shop should be able to specifically identify.
Old 12-11-14, 05:46 PM
JoshuaaXD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks you're having so much remorse. If you wanna ship your car over I'll happily change the tranny for you. Or pay for my vacation to drive over and change the solenoid haha
Old 12-26-14, 10:26 AM
slaurey01
Driver School Candidate

Update on the Shift Solenoid....

So I got the car to the tranny shop and when the shop took the pan off the mechanic told me there was to much medal in the pan and the tranny needed to be replace. He also asked if I had been traveling through floods because there was water mixed in the tranny fluid. I stated to him I had driven through high waters as when it rains it tends to flood in this area a lot.

I got a used tranny put in with a 2 year warranty for $1,700.00 and the car is driving great. I hate that I had to replace the tranny but grateful that I found a cheaper price then what Lexus quoted me (over $4,000).

Thank you all for all the help!!
Old 12-26-14, 11:19 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

You're very lucky to have such an honest independent transmission shop / mechanic. And, you really couldn't do any better on the price / value of the replacement trans. Suggestion: don't drive in flooded areas.
Old 12-26-14, 01:38 PM
slaurey01
Driver School Candidate

You're very lucky to have such an honest independent transmission shop / mechanic. And, you really couldn't do any better on the price / value of the replacement trans. Suggestion: don't drive in flooded areas.
Tom agree, agree, and agree!!! :-) Haha the mechanic at the tranny shop made the same suggestion. Trust me no more flooded areas for me!!
Old 06-30-24, 01:41 AM
Joe1994ES300
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where is the tranny shop you used?

I see u are in va, near what city, i i may ask? I am in greensboro. NC about 45 mjnutes south of Danville, va i have the p0753 code too. Only 47k miles on a 94 ES300

Last edited by Joe1994ES300; 06-30-24 at 01:45 AM.