LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mini-DIY: Door/Window Creak Fix with Shin Etsu

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 12:52 PM
amruss24
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mini-DIY: Door/Window Creak Fix with Shin Etsu

Hey guys. I've noticed that an increasingly common point of discussion here is the creaking/squeaking we hear around our doors and windows.

This will happen most often over bumps, especially uneven ones where you're subjecting the car's structure to torsion. If it's bad enough, you may also hear it under normal acceleration, braking, and turning.

Most will hear this around the windows and/or doors. This is a result of dried up rubber weatherstripping and seals rubbing against metal and glass.

This is a really simple fix, so here's what you're gonna need:

This Shin Etsu stuff is great. You can get a (Prime eligible) tube off Amazon
here. here.
You'll also need a rubber glove. Two won't be necessary.
Not pictured is the paper towel or two you'll need afterward.

Let's get started. Make sure your car is parked with the windows completely open.

One thing you can do if you want: you can use a wet paper towel (maybe with some weak/diluted detergent) to clean some of the crap off your seals as you go. Those things are dirty. This won't really affect the greasing process though.

Put some Shin Etsu (a little less than the amount of your toothpaste on your toothbrush, vary as needed) on your rubber-gloved finger. Try your best to avoid direct skin exposure, because that can apparently be harmful.

Start with the window seals. These are the big, flat looking ones you can see from outside the car looking in.

Apply a nice, even coating with your finger. Put on just enough that your finger glides over and you don't really feel the grit from years of drying out and accumulating dirt. Do this on the B-pillar side and the roof rail/A-pillar side; the bottom doesn't need any.

Now, open your door.

There's a big, flat seal on top of your door. Get a good coating on there.

Next, there's the rubber tube-isn seal going around the whole door.

Put some more on there. Since this seal isn't flat like the others, it helps to get some grease on your index and middle fingers and pinch/work some on there to get both sides. Make sure you get the whole seal all the way around the door.

Now, use your paper towel(s) and wipe up any excess that your clumsy self might've gotten on exterior/interior trim or metal. I don't think it's harmful, but it's messy and sloppy.

Repeat this process for any and all doors you've noticed creaking from.

Finally, go wash off, get in your car (carefully, don't get any grease on yourself), and go take a test drive. You should notice a pretty big difference.

Happy greasing!
Old 12-20-14, 06:03 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the writeup, and pictures.

Now if someone would only do a writeup on how to get rid of dashboard creaks.
Old 12-20-14, 07:50 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent write up. Will remember this if I ever face this issue.

Originally Posted by bfg23
Thanks for the writeup, and pictures.

Now if someone would only do a writeup on how to get rid of dashboard creaks.

I have a post about creaks coming from the NAV and it's surroundings. The dash will remain a mystery for sometime. It also depends on the temperature of the weather a lot. But a solution would be great.
Old 12-21-14, 07:40 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you wipe the seals with paper towels after letting it set for a while? They look like they would be pretty messy if you don't.
Old 12-21-14, 07:51 AM
amruss24
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just leave it on the seals. I think it needs to soak in. Just be careful not to get it on your clothes.
Old 12-21-14, 09:01 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd let it soak in a few days and then wipe off the excess. It's especially bad if you have something like a dress shirt and you have a black greasy streak on your back from when you reached in to grab something.

I'd definitely start with as little as possible and work you way up as needed. It's a great product for rejuvenating older weatherstripping, but it can be messy.
Old 12-21-14, 12:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Glad you took our advice in buying the product. Treat every 6 months and don't forget your window tracks.
Old 01-04-15, 08:23 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently started noticing this. We live in the country and our long driveway is gravel. On parts of it, the creaking is really loud due to the torsion occurring. Thanks for this, I am ordering some now.
Old 01-04-15, 01:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Thanks for the DIY thread on this! I still need to get some of this for my 02 LS.
Old 01-04-15, 04:30 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

did this a year ago on my LS, G37S, and Sienna. Amazing the difference it makes. Used about an entire tube on the three cars if I remember right, but was skimping on the last one. Took maybe an hour to do all three vehicles. Anyway, heartily endorse doing it....although you could probably get similar results with any other high quality synthetic grease. Can't recall what the basic ingredient is in the Shin Etsu but I really doubt its exclusive to Honda...Still, at around $13 a tube it might not be worth your time looking around
Old 01-06-15, 08:59 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I have creeking when I open my rear doors, I'm guessing this can be applied to the hinges as well?
Old 01-07-15, 08:08 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I have creeking when I open my rear doors, I'm guessing this can be applied to the hinges as well?
sure, you can apply it there but I kind of doubt it will help. Most door creeks I've had are not due to lack of hinge lubrication, they are due to metal flexing somewhere in the door, or where the hinge attaches. You can try tightening things up. Not sure, but i'd also think door hinge lubrication or grease would be a heavier weight than the shin etsu.
Old 01-07-15, 11:27 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Use white lithium grease on door hinges and latches. It comes in a spray can.