LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Door Computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 07:30 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The only thing that is mini is the cable that connects it. It's called a mini VCI cable. The software is exactly the same the dealer uses. I actually just updated my software to the newest version a couple days ago. There is no programming of the door modules. They are not computers that work and think independently of the main ecu. It's just a smart switch. We communicated with and tested all the other ecu's in the car just fine. I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with any kind of programming.

Edit: I'll give you another example. My UL has the Smartkey system and a sensor at all the doors in addition to the door ecu. When I test or communicate with the ECU's at my doors there is nothing to configure. Just is it working correctly or not. That's it. The door ecu's send their respective signal back to the main computer which in turn communicates back to with the door. All the decision making happens in the main ECU.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-09-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 07:52 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm aware of what Techstream does, and in this instance, doesn't do. With no power to the door, what would / could Techstream do to diagnose it? Techstream communicated with all the other ecu's cause there's power to those. Techstream didn't diagnose the issue. The OP has had 2 door ECU's installed and issue remains unresolved.
Old 04-09-15, 08:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

What I am getting at is that the other door ecu's are not programmable. None of them are. The issue is not fixed but it is not an issue of programming. It is either a bad ecu or it's not hooked up properly, wiring, etc. Techstream's diagnosis is no communication with the left rear door. It was a gateway code. So yes, it did diagnose the problem. I think by calling it an ecu people think it is configurable. Needs programming. This is not the case. We also don't know if the ecu is getting power or not. Fuse is fine. Would be nice if it was a simple fix but it is not. In other words, you don't need to program the door modules. The system does not work this way. If it did believe me Techstream would be the way to do it. It is how you program every other available option for the vehicle including Smartkeys.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-09-15 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 08:20 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Edit: I'll give you another example. My UL has the Smartkey system and a sensor at all the doors in addition to the door ecu. When I test or communicate with the ECU's at my doors there is nothing to configure. Just is it working correctly or not. That's it. The door ecu's send their respective signal back to the main computer which in turn communicates back to with the door. All the decision making happens in the main ECU.
Lav, you and I are friends here, and as I said in an earlier post here, I thought it was awesome that you offered to connect your Techstream to Mike's vehicle to try and sort out his door power issue. I expressed skepticism that I didn't feel Techstream could solve the issue, since there was no power to the door - trying to save you both time & effort. As correctly pointed out in your edit, all Techstream does is test the ECU's: "is it working correctly or not." With no power to the door, all Techstream could do is confirm what was already known: it's not working, nothing more.
Old 04-09-15, 08:28 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I thought we were talking about programming issues and Techstreams ability to program door modules. This is my point. If a door module goes bad you do not need to reprogram it for it to work correctly. The system does not work this way. I'm not trying to argue with you about this I'm just telling you how the software interfaces with the hardware. So, if Mike finds that the connector was not plugged in or something silly he won't have to hook his car back up to Techstream for it to work.

If you don't have it already I suggest you get it and try it out yourself. It is really good stuff. We also don't know if the door does not have power. That's just an assumption. Need to pull the door panel off and put a multimeter on the connector. I would have done this first myself but Mike was convinced it was a programming issue, which it is not. Really need to test for 12v next and look for any obvious malfunctions.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-09-15 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:07 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

I thought we were talking about programming issues and Techstreams ability to program door modules. This is my point. If a door module goes bad you do not need to reprogram it for it to work correctly. The system does not work this way.
Understood, and previously noted in my posts #12 and #19.

If you don't have it already I suggest you get it and try it out yourself.
Have it, used it.

We also don't know if the door does not have power. That's just an assumption. Need to pull the door panel off and put a multimeter on the connector.
Suggested in earlier posts ...

I thought that a portion of this thread was about using Techstream to solve the OP's issue. Couldn't understand why you'd go through the trouble of trying to use Techstream, when it's known that it cannot solve or diagnose this issue, that's all. Thanks again for returning to report on this.
Old 04-09-15, 10:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It is the first thing to a Lexus tech does. It's a tool. It's not going to fix the problem but it points someone in the right direction. It also clears up questions about the subject of programming door control ecu's. There is a specific error code stored which relates back to the service manual. I don't own the service manual but my man rkw does. All Mike needs a screwdriver set and a multimeter. Maybe I will have to invite him back over and we will pull the door panel off.

Edit: Never mind. RKW already posted the diagram. He is good. I'll text Mike and see what he wants to do. It's easy enough to take the rear door panel off. He will owe me at least a 6 pack of Sam Adams.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-09-15 at 10:53 AM.