LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 UL (ML) Nav upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 04:00 PM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LS430 UL (ML) Nav upgrade?

Has anyone upgraded the original Nav system on an early model LS430 w/ Mark Levinson to a newer Generation (Gen 4?). Curious about the cost, time and frustration as well as any manufacturers that may provide direct connect/replacement components.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-15, 04:43 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I did this and there is a CL thread with info on how to DIY upgrade to Gen 4.
Old 02-02-15, 05:09 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Check this thread. It should have all of the info you need.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-dvd-disk.html
Old 02-03-15, 07:19 AM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for info and thread link Tom. Will definitely be searching for a Gen 4 Nav unit. Any suggestions or recommendations on where to buy? Figure Ebay and salvage yards are a given but wanted to check before overspending.
Old 02-03-15, 09:05 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Gen 4 Nav players can be had for ~ $200 on eBay part # 86841-50090. Take your time selecting, try to get one from warm weather climate, also look at pics showing date stamp sticker on the Nav unit. Easy DIY swap out plug n' play. You'll need a Gen 4 Nav disc as well, since the Gen 2/3 disc in your current Nav is not compatible.
Old 02-03-15, 11:44 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I literally put a gen4 dvd reader in this morning. Original one gave out a week ago, searched eBay, found one out of an 05 prius but the seller did not know if a map dvd was in there or not. So I made him an offer he could not refuse, $230 to be exact. It turned out a map dvd was inside and a 2012 version woo hoo - lucky me. Works like a charm.
Old 02-03-15, 12:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
I literally put a gen4 dvd reader in this morning. Original one gave out a week ago, searched eBay, found one out of an 05 prius but the seller did not know if a map dvd was in there or not. So I made him an offer he could not refuse, $230 to be exact. It turned out a map dvd was inside and a 2012 version woo hoo - lucky me. Works like a charm.
I wrote in the other thread that a Prius Nav is preferred 'cause it is mounted inside the cabin, and not subjected to the temp and moisture extremes of the LS passenger side rear wheel well. I got mine out of a '06 Prius and couldn't be happier, including improved screen quality with settings.
Old 02-03-15, 03:46 PM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to hear that about preferring Prius Nav because I just purchased a GEN4 Nav from a Prius out of Los Angeles off of Ebay for $150. Pictures look clean and the manufacture date was AUGUST 2004. Unknown if Disc is in unit but there is a 30-Day return policy on the unit. That said, I may be on the lookout for a recent Nav DVD soon just in case someone has one for sale after updating their own. Unit should arrive within a week.
Old 02-03-15, 07:32 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang the gen 4 are going for that cheap?? Last I saw on the forums someone got one from the junk yard for $400. Hopefully I can find a cheaper one too need that upgrade!
Old 02-04-15, 06:41 AM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

It was a "Best Offer" auction from a seller with multiple units. Original asking was a bit more but I took a shot at asking due to the amount remaining and how long the auction had been open. Didn't appear to have very much action on them but the seller had 100% positive feedback.
Old 02-04-15, 07:15 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Here are the DIY instructions to replace a disc. Changing the Nav player is basically all the same steps as removing and installing a new Nav disc into the player, just that all of the pigtail connections on the existing player must be pulled and inserted into the new Nav player.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/Nav...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 02-04-15, 07:56 AM
calamons
Driver School Candidate

Excellent information once again. Thanks Tom!
Old 02-10-15, 05:31 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom57
I wrote in the other thread that a Prius Nav is preferred 'cause it is mounted inside the cabin, and not subjected to the temp and moisture extremes of the LS passenger side rear wheel well. I got mine out of a '06 Prius and couldn't be happier, including improved screen quality with settings.
Can you explain further re: improved screen quality? You're only swapping the Nav disk drive not the display correct? How are you getting other settings? Reason I ask- our LS on screen units control things like the LCD clock- other cars like my 2006 GX do not...would appreciate further details... if mine seems to be working properly, what are the upsides to upgrading the unit? (2004 LS 430UL)
Old 02-10-15, 09:45 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BCrews
Can you explain further re: improved screen quality? You're only swapping the Nav disk drive not the display correct? How are you getting other settings? Reason I ask- our LS on screen units control things like the LCD clock- other cars like my 2006 GX do not...would appreciate further details... if mine seems to be working properly, what are the upsides to upgrading the unit? (2004 LS 430UL)
there shouldn't be a difference in the quality of the screen...
Old 02-11-15, 09:41 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCrews
I'll try to answer your questions with specifics. Suggest too that you check out a LS '04 - '06 Nav screen in-person so that you can observe and compare the two for yourself. Also suggest you browse through a Gen 4 Nav manual (separate from the main Owner's Manual) to see the specific additional features and options available compared to Gen 2/3.

1.) Q: "Only swapping the Nav disk drive unit not the display screen?" Correct.

2.) Q: "How are you getting other settings?" Other settings are made available by the Gen 4 Nav unit that are simply not offered on the Gen 2/3 unit. The Nav disc player is controlled by only 2 of the buttons off to the right of the display screen: "Destination" and "Menu" (in addition to "Map"). The OEM screen does not deliver 1080p or even 720p quality resolution. However, the Gen 4 screen settings do allow selection and change to background color and contrast of the map which you don't get with Gen 2/3. It is a huge improvement over the appearance of the tan, beige-brown grainy screen of the old Gen 2/3 unit. The colors on the map are noticeably richer, deeper as well (the blues, greens, etc. are more defined, which provides a clearer image on the screen). (See pics below.) Note: The other buttons to the right of the Nav screen interface with other control modules in the vehicle and so are not affected by an upgrade to Gen 4 Nav. The screen is like your TV monitor, with various inputs, one of which is the Nav unit.

3.) Q: What are the upsides to upgrading the unit?" Several. I note only a few here. The CPU in the Gen 4 unit is a little faster and has a lot larger capacity to handle more static data on the Nav disc than the Gen 2/3. Example: Gen 2/3 unit can't handle all of the data on a Gen 4 disc, so the Gen 2/3 disc was recently split between East & West - when you buy an updated Gen 2/3 disc, you have to choose which side of the country you want. The Gen 2/3 disc has POIs for either East or West U.S. only. Also, rumor is that the Gen 2/3 disc will no longer be updated in future years. There are other granular features with the Gen 4 unit that I like. For example, in downtown Chicago, I can zoom in on the map to 75 feet as well as get "Building info" on the Nav screen by moving the curser onto the building. The Gen 4 is just a lot more robust than Gen 2/3. Does it have real-time info like a phone app, no, because it's info / data comes from a static disc.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice regarding how you use the Gen 2/3 on-board Navigation system, and whether poor screen resolution bothers you. I have Gen 5 in a 2009 Sienna, and the Gen 4 unit is virtually the same as what is offered by the "newer" Gen 5. Toyota didn't improve the Nav unit much between Gens 4 & 5, but it did between Gens 2/3 & 4, at least IMO, as well as others who have upgraded to Gen 4. To say the Gen 4 is the same as Gen 2/3 is erroneous, and ignores the fact that the Gen 4 has: a different part number, with different and greater disc capacity of data / info, and many additional features, screen settings, and options.

I hope this information is helpful to you, however I note that you already have Gen 4, not Gen 2/3, so there is no Nav upgrade available to you in your 2004.
Attached Thumbnails 2001 LS430 UL (ML) Nav upgrade?-nav-screen-1.jpg   2001 LS430 UL (ML) Nav upgrade?-nav-screen.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2001 LS430 UL (ML) Nav upgrade?