LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is the Engine oil capacity for the ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 07:29 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
5 quarts has in the past brought it up to the line. Go Figure?
Originally Posted by XJSFan
Look in the manual... LOL. The 06 LS430 manual states 5.4 quarts with a new oil filter.
Originally Posted by gebo
Not exactly...My 2005 manual says 4.8 quarts with a filter. If I add 4.8 quarts and change the filter my dipstick will not be near the full mark. 5.5 qts did not put it to the full mark. That's why I just went with a full 6 quarts.
Originally Posted by XJSFan
I am looking at my 2006 owners manual as I type and it states 4.8 quarts without filter change and 5.4 quarts with a filter change. Maybe your is different...
Originally Posted by gebo
My 2005 Owners manual says on back inside cover states 4.4 quarts w/o filter change and 4.8 quarts with with filter change. It's definitely different.
Originally Posted by Marco2017
The dealer says 4.8 quarts including the oil filter.
Interesting reading this thread as I just picked up a 2004 LS 430 in California last week drove it home to Colorado and before I left I checked the oil level and it was overfilled by quite a bit on the dipstick🤨.....went to a local Meineke and had them siphon out 1 qt of oil which still only brought it to right above the full mark on the dipstick. This made me feel comfortable enough to drive the car home without so much oil in the crankcase. I started to do some research on the oil level/capacity on the 3UZ in the LS430 and it brought me to this thread.

I had planned on changing the oil anyway when I got home to start my maintenance records and choice of oil, so my oil change was scheduled for Friday (2 days ago). I did the oil change at a DIY shop (I rent a lift and do it myself). The car was level and I let the oil drain out for at least 30 min (with the fill cap removed from the top) to ensure I got as much oil out of the crankcase as possible. The oil that came out was very clean as the service history of this LS was immaculate and serviced at the local Lexus dealership, but that doesn't always mean the lube techs take their time and fill properly as they are sometimes rushing the cars out of service to make way for the next vehicle unfortunately.

Anyhow after reading this thread I made sure to start with 4 qts and top off from there as I didn't want another occurrence of overfilling. I ended up at 4.6 qts which brought it right below the full mark (1/8' below to be exact). So this whole thread of some filling to 5.4 qts and others @ 4.8 qts is very interesting unless Lexus changed dipsticks which doesn't make sense, but neither does filling this particular example up to 5.4 qts as it would be over filled per the dipstick that came with this car🤔🤷‍♂️

Just wanted to chime in and see what others have to say about the capacity on these motors. Coming from filling my ISF at capacity with a crankcase of 9.8 qts on the 2UR-GSE we have learned that filling @ 9.8 - 10 qts (believe it or not some owners have done 10 qts because they buy two 5 qt jugs and dump both in) causes the back 2 cylinders to take on oil in the spark plug tube seals which eventually foul out those particular spark plugs and it's best to fill @ 9.5 with the ISF to avoid overfilling. So I'm a little cautious about overfilling the LS430 when I've been use to running 1/4- 1/2 qt less than what is stated for the ISF.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 05-01-22 at 10:32 PM.